Companies taking on new drivers in Coventry or nearby areas?

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone can direct me towards companies taking on new drivers in my area? (Coventry or nearby) I passed in January of this year.

So far I’ve applied through a mixture of Agency and direct on pretty much every platform I could think of. I’ve applied to nearly 100 jobs, no responses from all but two, which were rejections :frowning_face:. Agencies have all said there’s nothing for me.

I’ve got my C+E but have been applying for both C & C+E work. Most want between 6–12 months experience, can’t help but feel like it’s a catch 22. How can I get it, if no one will give me a chance? :thinking:Also feel like my age is going against me as I’m 20.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

The working environment has always been like that, even when I was your age (which is longer ago than I care to remember).

I’m convinced that not even half of the “jobs” advertised on online are remotely real, especially on Indeed, I think these advertisers “create” vacancies just to pad out their website.

There’s still a lot to be said for knocking on doors around industrial estates, go properly dressed for work (hard hat, safety boots, high viz and gloves) and will yout DL, DQC and tacho cards, and mist importantly, go with the right attitude.

A place who needs someone might take a punt on someone with a good face-to-face meeting, even though they lack the experience. I was at a company last week who were happy to give noobs a chance as long as they passed “the attitude test”, which a lot of older, more experienced drivers can still fail.

I suspect your age could be a problem for many; it’s the insurance criteria, not necessarily the employer themselves.

I’m also convinced that most “jobs” as you say, they advertise aren’t real or for getting drivers on a shortlist ready for a upcoming contract.

I’ll try knocking on doors. As I think, a lot of these online recruitment systems from what I’ve learnt look for keywords such as “Experience” “Previous” etc. So they might not even see my CV if a computer has pre-screened it and basically binned it.

A lot of it is definitely down to insurance, as its been going up recently (According to an agency I spoke to).

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated. :+1:

Mitchell’s Potatoes in Frankton are usually looking for Class 2 drivers

I see them on Indeed all the time

It’s meant to be hard work but well paid

DriverHire Coventry/Nuneaton branch put quite a bit of work my way too