Coming back to driving

I’m looking at getting back into HGV driving part time in some capacity. Having stopped shortly before the cut-off date when a driver CPC became mandatory what length of course / modules do I need to take now to become legally qualified? Time to take a block course is out of the question due to family commitments but need to move on this asap.

You need the full 35hrs (5 x 7hr modules) and it doesn’t matter what the modules are but I’d recommend a variation as sitting the same one over and over would be very boring indeed.

I’d also recommend that at least one of the modules was drivers hours regs to bring you back up to date.

If you have the money you can always do a days refresher course which not only shows a perspective employer/agency that you have driven in the last 6 months (a requirement by some employers) and shows you are still competent behind the wheel but it’s also 7hrs (one module) off of your DCPC (check beforehand that the training company actually do this though as not all do!).

You can also take a Module 2 & 4 tests to get your first CPC card. Takes a bit of organising as the systems won’t allow online bookings.

Speak to a local training provider. Beauty of the Module 2 & 4 is far less time attending but can take a few weeks to get bookings.