Comets Administration

Another high street name maybe going …
mirror.co.uk/money/city-news … 00-1410924

Glad I got out of there when I did! :open_mouth:

Will this make it easier or harder to get some bargains?

I went in yesterday wanting to buy 3 appliances and the manager wouldn’t budge a penny on the price!

Are all those mis-sold 5 year warrentries now going to get defaulted? :open_mouth:

If they do go into administration,it sounds as if they will have a fire sale of all their stock,making some of their competitors shaky.

Winseer:
Are all those mis-sold 5 year warrentries now going to get defaulted? :open_mouth:

i got two reminders on monday about my insurance that i never buy.

No great shock really. Argos are closing stores in favour of online sales. If trucks are not delivering to stores they will be delivering to parcel delivery hubs.

Plenty of work coming up for Christmas then… :smiley:

Comet is owned by a private equity company and it seems suppliers were unwilling to extend them further credit, so it will probably be picked up by another private equity firm, debts written off and then re-appear after closing a few stores. Unlikely to get any real bargains.

Comet have been on shaky ground for some time, when I lived in Yorkshire the Hull head office operation was always making staff redundant. many high street stores will close down because it is easier to research a product online and buy it delivered without having to speak to some can’t be arsed school kid.

Good riddance to bad ■■■■ if you ask me have nothing good to say about comet they get your money then screw you attitude if something is wrong

Went to buy a cooker all the girl did was go on line print off a few gave me them had a thumb nail pic ( black & white ) so couldnt see it very well

All this had on was the basic info so went else wear

Sorry but dont really like them

Sorry for the people that work there for them that will be made redundant

It’s funny that this should be announced, went on the hunt for an iPad 3 over the weekend (wanted the 'older one with ios5 on and the new one, out in a few days apparently, will have ios6) and went to Currys…they didn’t have what I wanted so went to PCWorld. Mentioned to the salesboy that Comet are giving a 2 year warrenty and would they match it. In short, he said no and said Comet are matching anything at the minute just to get a sale as they are struggling and may well be gone by christmas! The youngest lad wants a new tele for crimbo so will be watching the local store…he only uses a TV as a pc monitor so might be able to grab a bargain

What about their distribution? I know Nobbies do some of it. Where are the DCs? Anyone going to be affected?

Didn’t ND take over the distribution from Wincanton earlier this year? Got a huge depot up at Newark i think.

http://www.retailtechnology.co.uk/news/comet-outsources-distribution

Grasshopper:
Didn’t ND take over the distribution from Wincanton earlier this year? Got a huge depot up at Newark i think.

http://www.retailtechnology.co.uk/news/comet-outsources-distribution

Newark is Currys - comet is Harlow and Skelmersdale. Norberts took on the warehousing in about May this year

Looks like it is now official

m.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20164228

So what’s the chance of some bargains?

I cant believe that just 2 days ago that exuse for a prime minister said were out of the recesion…yet in the same news program how many people are going to lose there jobs…Comet just one of them…are they talking in a different langauge to us…as long as there little nest is lined with cosy feathers do they give a toss about the man in the street? i wish i had listened to my parents when i was fannying about at school and was in a position to be an MP and get paid for talking bollox…at 150 grand a year ! :imp:

shytalk:
i wish i had listened to my parents when i was fannying about at school and was in a position to be an MP and get paid for talking bollox…at 150 grand a year ! :imp:

Bet you must be kicking yourself now.

shytalk:
I cant believe that just 2 days ago that exuse for a prime minister said were out of the recesion…yet in the same news program how many people are going to lose there jobs…Comet just one of them…are they talking in a different langauge to us…as long as there little nest is lined with cosy feathers do they give a toss about the man in the street? i wish i had listened to my parents when i was fannying about at school and was in a position to be an MP and get paid for talking bollox…at 150 grand a year ! :imp:

MPs don’t like bad news only good for every good one there’s 4bad one’s