Come on we have to get training and dcpc better than this

I had a second man a couple of months back on an abnormal load. The lad is desperate to get into the industry, so he second mans the load for a chance to have a drive on the way back. When I get talking to him and mentioned the dcpc he says he’s already done it.

Now, don’t get me wrong, I’m the worlds biggest dcpc critic, but thought it would be beneficial to new drivers, however

He passed his rigid so the additional week spent doing his artic/drag counted as 35 hours training so he answered 5 verbal questions at the end and got the dcpc.

Ironically it turns out he’s more qualified than me

That surly cannot be right can it. Is that how the dcpc works with new drivers?

Ive watched a couple of threads recently that have commented on how the training industry is woefully letting down new drivers and agree wholeheartedly. The company I work for want to take on apprentice’s to learn new drivers from the ground up, roping and sheeting, second-manning, load restraints, and train them right up to class one and onto abnormal in time as 50% of the workforce retire in the next decade. The authorities will not even discuss the training opportunities as it will not fit their tick box mentalities.

Something must be done or is it just me?

You have probably seen some of my comments on DCPC on other threads…? the trainers that keep giving there opinion about how beneficial it all is on this site…according to them your experience counts for jack all …and tried putting me down for doing my job as a driver for 28yrs…i said you cant buy experience…in your case it seems you can…wot a farce…they will be telling you the worlds still flat… :open_mouth:

Here we go again… yawn…

It’s just you, mate. Or perhaps him. Because the facts aren’t quite as he stated.

As a new driver he attains his Driver CPC by examination.

He has to take modules two (exam) and four (practical demonstration) of his Cat C test as well as module one (theory test) and three (driving). Only then does he get his Driver CPC card.

So, in terms of the tests he had to take to acquire his vocational licence, he probably is more qualified than you.

He’s not as experienced, though, and there is a difference.

And he has five years from the date of issue of his DCPC to do 35 hours of training, then repeat it every five years.

Saaamon:
Here we go again… yawn…

Come on Saaamon…you start a thread we can get a buzz from.

GasGas:
He has to take modules two (exam) and four (practical demonstration) of his Cat C test as well as module one (theory test) and three (driving). Only then does he get his Driver CPC card.

im just going off what he said, i was sceptical but that just as he decribed it. Can you expain what the quote above means? im not knocking anythng just trying to understand

We’ll see how good these theory qualified drivers are in due course, somehow i reckon the gaffers of companies like yours will be begging the apparently underqualified old school to stay on and do the bloody job when the time comes for retirements.

Its all very good talking the talk and ticking bloody boxes, when it comes to skill and knowledge needed to get the job done right in the real outside world with customers expensive products, then all the bloody schoolroom training in the world aint worth a tinkers ■■■■.

Its blindingly obvious to anyone who uses the roads full time, and more tellingly sees the performances in tight situations (age not necessarily important here as so many new drivers are now well over middle age) that modern training and testing is not producing competent drivers able to control their vehicles in all conditions at all times.

Baby has been thrown out with bathwater in driver training, high time for a complete common sense overhaul of the system, but it ain’t going to happen, which has its upsides as it makes older skilled drivers increasingly desirable.

I don’t know how your company gets round this, all they can do is recruit the best they can from the existing pool of young potential drivers and then train them up as they know best whilst allowing them to also gain the necessary but increasingly seemingly worthless official passes…hopefully they’ll pay them decently and reap the rewards of their training investment by gaining long term real professionals.

GasGas:
It’s just you, mate. Or perhaps him. Because the facts aren’t quite as he stated.

As a new driver he attains his Driver CPC by examination.

So, in terms of the tests he had to take to acquire his vocational licence, he probably is more qualified than you.

He’s not as experienced, though, and there is a difference.

And he has five years from the date of issue of his DCPC to do 35 hours of training, then repeat it every five years.

I assume the DQC is issued as soon as a new driver has completed mod 4 which I believe can be done before the driving test.

So if a training school had cat C+E training approved by JAUPT presumably in theory at-least it would be possible to get the 35 hours periodic training with the C+E training a week after passing cat C.

I’m not saying that’s what happened with the OPs mate but just out of interest, would this be possible ?

I’m not sure if anyone has has C+ E training approved as a course unit. But if this were the case then the driver wold have had to have held a full LGV licence (even if only a C1) before Sept 2009.

AFAIK when you have passed mods 2 & 4 you then have to apply for the DCPC card, just as after you pass your driving test you apply for your full licence.

I know that the 5 years starts from the date of issue of the card if you go this route to acquire driver CPC (it’s different for ‘grandfather rights’ people who get it running for 5 years from Sept 2014).

but from the sound of it I think he may not be as qualified as he thinks he is.

The young lad in the OP could have done this in two ways

1st - he could have passed C after 09/09/2009 and done the two intial dcpc modules … 2 (theory) and 4 (practical) then gone on to get 35 hours of periodic dcpc by doing a CE dcpc approved course

2nd - he could have passed C before 10/09/2009 so no intial dcpc needed and then gone on to do the CE dcpc approved course

If it was the 1st then he will have a DQC expiry dated sometime between 10/09/2019 and 09/09/2024

If it was the 2nd then he will have a DQC expiry dated 09/09/2019

Must have been a CE course for more than 5 full days to count for 35 hours of dcpc because the test time does not count
I can only assume it was at least a 6 day course doing 2 to 1 in the cab

I do not believe that employers will be so stupid to take the dcpc over experience but you never know …

+1

marlow:

GasGas:

im just going off what he said, i was sceptical but that just as he decribed it. Can you expain what the quote above means? im not knocking anythng just trying to understand

If you are starting with a car licence now, you need to take four tests before you qualify as a Cat C driver with full entitlement to drive commercially.

Test one: road (hazard perception etc) theory test

Test two: case studies theory test (takes 90 minutes, you are shown seven situations and have to answer six to eight questions on each). You have to score at least 40 out of 50 to pass.

Test three: the old driving test

Test four: practical test. Takes 30 minutes and you show you can do a daily check, know about safe loading, look for immigrants (!)etc.

You have to do mod one before mod three and mod 2 before mod 4.

Some drivers have just been taking mods one and three, then driving commercially. This is illegal as they do not have a Driver CPC.

marlow:
Ironically it turns out he’s more qualified than me

No he isn’t. He is merely certified to the basics. And when it comes to jobs, experience counts more than a bit of paper.

shytalk:
You have probably seen some of my comments on DCPC on other threads…? the trainers that keep giving there opinion about how beneficial it all is on this site

One merely needs to look at the braindead halfwit comments about basic drivers hours to realise they’re correct.

Conor:

shytalk:
You have probably seen some of my comments on DCPC on other threads…? the trainers that keep giving there opinion about how beneficial it all is on this site

One merely needs to look at the braindead halfwit comments about basic drivers hours to realise they’re correct.

That would be easy to remedy -

Give drivers a few senarios and ask them to point out what is wrong with them

Those that cannot find the faults need training on them

simple

I wonder if a member will post some senarios which have various faults in them and challenge us to find them all :bulb:

ROG:
That would be easy to remedy -

Give drivers a few senarios and ask them to point out what is wrong with them

Those that cannot find the faults need training on them

simple

I wonder if a member will post some senarios which have various faults in them and challenge us to find them all :bulb:

ROG wrote:

If you are happy with this solution …

Start 15 mins early and then add that extra 15 mins to the lunchtime break making it a 45

Tell boss that this way he will be getting an extra 15 mins free because if driving over 4.5 hours then you will need to take 30 +15 to be legal

Ist way you have all the 45 in one go and start 15 mins early - company get 15 mins free
2nd way you start at normal time but take a total of 45 mins off (30 +15)
Either way 45 mins off is taken but the company get the better deal in the 1st idea

Of course you could simply stick rigidly to the contract and start at 0800, take 30 at lunch then 15 in afternoon

like this one ? :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
(struggled to copy quote from other thread and make it look right ) :blush:

I had a senior moment on that thread :blush: :laughing:

Anyone over age 40 is allowed those moments :wink:

ROG:
I do not believe that employers will be so stupid to take the dcpc over experience but you never know …

It depends very much on whether their recruitment process involves the actual hands-on managers themselves, or an office full of air-head HR types who have been trained from birth to prefer wadges of meaningless certificates over learned skills.

if it’s the latter, I really pity the TM’s when they find themselves saddled with shiny new drivers whose experience doesn’t go beyond passing a C+E test, whilst the older hands didn’t make it past the application form stage.