Comart Europa Int. Tspt - Dedicated to Wheeler

Hi Ant,

Great photo for a Scania dealership. I can only imagine how your dad felt getting out of the Big J and into the 110!

Life is good here. No budgets, no KPIs, no DC booking times and no traffic (apart from the tractors that is). We are off to the local IKEA tomorrow (a six hour round trip), but at least I’ll get to call in at the vinyard on the way back and stock up for Christmas!

Glad the job is going well,

Kind regards

PTT

Steve,

Sounds like a tough life you have there :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Called to see Simon Knight today, Malc Knights son, I think he joined Comarts after you left, however, he had this photo on his office wall, which he as allowed me to borrow and post, he thinks he has some more somewhere, so fingers crossed.

Malc Knight - LKD 393 R - Somewhere in Italy by the looks of it

Many thanks to Simon for the photo

Regards
Ant

fantastic thread this…cheers Ant for running it, and respect to your dad and his contemporaries’ - Proper Drivers. ( You probably wont remember me, but i was on Frans Maas with you 1990ish?..Dave M from Sheffield (red tag112/blue tilt) > some characters>> Pop( J.Oldaker),Bev, Lee Durose, dougal and Gavin McBurnie,Kiwi, Brasso etc enjoyed it and went on for WM Young,various Italians/Swiss etc…, then JSL >brilliant job< till '99.) Anyway–take care mate and all the best.,hope the thread keeps going for a good while yet, there must be loads more material out there chrs D

dm61:
fantastic thread this…cheers Ant for running it, and respect to your dad and his contemporaries’ - Proper Drivers. ( You probably wont remember me, but i was on Frans Maas with you 1990ish?..Dave M from Sheffield (red tag112/blue tilt) > some characters>> Pop( J.Oldaker),Bev, Lee Durose, dougal and Gavin McBurnie,Kiwi, Brasso etc enjoyed it and went on for WM Young,various Italians/Swiss etc…, then JSL >brilliant job< till '99.) Anyway–take care mate and all the best.,hope the thread keeps going for a good while yet, there must be loads more material out there chrs D

Hey up dave how you doin,
yes do remember you, what you up to these days ■■ Good times had on that job, as you say some good lads, still see Lee and Dave Taylor, not spoke to Brasso for quite a while, lost touch (have you seen the photo of him on the Old companys from stoke thread) when he was young and used to go with breezy on Moorlocks !! Not seen Pop for a while, must call in to see how he is doin. Dougal and Gavin are still running trucks last time I heard - under the Stewart Miller banner from Oxford.

Mark Young as packed up now, fighting a lossing battle, trying to get the proper rate for the job, must call to see him aswell on my rounds, be good too catch up.
Called to see Jason the other day, He’s up and running again (Burgess Logistics), lent me some JSL photos - posted on the Stoke thread

Loads of photos on the Frans Maas thread have you seen them ■■

have you got any photos you can post ?

Good to here from you mate
regards
Ant

Hi all can any one tell me the origens of Thor transport who they were who ran it when did they cease or are they still running,i know they came from Stoke and i have a pic of one of there motors parked next to mine in the late 70’s and i come from just outside Southampton.In the pic i was loaded with outspan oranges loaded in Southampton docks and i cant remember where the photo was taken but i used to park on waste ground near my house in Bursledon on the A27 and it has bugged me for some time not knowing who they were,any info on this would be appreciated,regards John Davies aka Buzzer.( founder of Davies International ) who also have a thread on Truck net UK.

Hello again Ant- just a quick reply, dont want to hijack the thread(although it should bump it back up to page1 for a while !)…i see you’re selling trucks now-must be an interesting number,and looks like you get about a bit too…the glory days are well and truly over for me > im trundling up and down doing 3nightshifts a week(4series scanias>not a patch on our old ones,IMHO!),and back in my old trade the rest of the week, got a little steelworking/welding shop>… dont laugh, but i make woodburning stoves and suchlike.,keeps me off the street!.. As to photos; i am pretty useless with technology and will have to get up to speed,and learn how to scan, as i’ve got a number of the sort of nostalgic/scenic/trucky photos we all used to take that would be good to put up on 1 of the oldtimer/euro type threads. Anyway,all the very best to you and yours mate,and catch you soon. cheers D

Buzzer:
Hi all can any one tell me the origens of Thor transport who they were who ran it when did they cease or are they still running,i know they came from Stoke and i have a pic of one of there motors parked next to mine in the late 70’s and i come from just outside Southampton.In the pic i was loaded with outspan oranges loaded in Southampton docks and i cant remember where the photo was taken but i used to park on waste ground near my house in Bursledon on the A27 and it has bugged me for some time not knowing who they were,any info on this would be appreciated,regards John Davies aka Buzzer.( founder of Davies International ) who also have a thread on Truck net UK.

Hello again John- the only thing I know about them is that my old guvnor at JSL,Carl Burgess, was one of the founders…Im sure the Stoke lads will know a lot more cheers dave m

dm61:

Buzzer:

Hello again John- the only thing I know about them is that my old guvnor at JSL,Carl Burgess, was one of the founders…Im sure the Stoke lads will know a lot more cheers dave m

Cheers for that Dave, i know Carl and Jason as we did alot for them to Bosnia in the 90’s,We were first working with JSL doing about one load of cheap china to near Granada in Spain,that was not really there pigeon so did it for them then they got in with the MOD on the bosnia thing and we started doing that as a subbie along with Youngs,good job while it lasted till ESL got involved cheers Buzzer.

will put this one in here as well Ant

Buzzer:

Evening all, Buzzer, Thor Transport, Division of Cretco Chemical Co, Chemical Lane Burslem, Stoke on Trent.

Markham, and Burgess, the “main” men.

Finally foundered in a mire of Permit “irregularities”.

Burgess went of to DOW, with Roger Dowsett…now how did they end!!!

Made some money selling them 88s, and lots of memories…most not suitable for this medium!!

Cheerio for now.

Hi Saviem thanks for the info on Thor, i know what you mean about best not for this thread HM holidays spring to mind but we will leave that there,cheers Buzzer.

the flying foden:
will put this one in here as well Ant

Great Photo Jeff, give my thanks to Bunchy,
Do you know who the driver is in the photo, my Dad had this motor for a while, as you can see from the photo above taken on the blanc.

Regards
Ant

Hiya subject removed John

3300John:
Hiya …whats that all about or am i going daft
John

Hey Up John,

What do you mean - whats that about ■■

Regards
Ant

Hey Up John,

What do you mean - whats that about ■■
Hello ANT…its been moved now there was some kind of american insurance firm asking about claiming
for some kind of accident.Rikki must have moved it. hope you don’t think i was messing about mate.
Rikki will answer a question for you i’d think.
John

No probs John, just seemed odd :slight_smile: hopefully have some more comart photos. Ant

the flying foden:

Willie Roadstar:

part-time-trucker:
Hi Ant,

Yes the video is good watching. It must have taken you patience to put it together. I like the 8 wheeled wagon and 6 wheel drag coming out of the pipe just before minute 6. Thanks for the memories!

This post has woken a few long dormant grey cells and I have come up with a list of Comart drivers 1975-1978. It’s not complete and I may have mixed a few names with other drivers I have known. But it may interest someone out there.

I’ll try a fleet list next!
Regards

PTT

Alan Davey
Alan Goldstraw
Alan Holmes
Alan Nicklin (Petal)
Alf Jung
Alfie Williams (Wheeler)
Arthur Johnson
Barry Tomlinson (Shirley Temple)
Bill Baggeley
Bill Brindley
Bill McCall
Bill Smith
Brian Hanley
Dave Arrowsmith
Derek Birch
Derek Goldstraw
Eddie Walker
George Thorley
Gordon Mace (Macey)
Graham Sinnott
Graham Wright
Jake Smith
Jeff Stevens
Jock Hope
John McCann
John Meredith
John Wilkinson (Wink)
Malcolm Gibson
Pete McCutcheon
Phil Darlington
Ray Pointon
Rod Johnson
Roy Corbett (Sooty)
Steve Baddeley
Terry Smith
Tom Askey

PTT, good list of the drivers some names I remember, some I don,t, checked with Mum and she has come up with some more. Some before your time and some after I think.
Jonnie Davis
Eddie Deville
Charlie Walker (Eddies Brother)
Stan King
Terry Lewis
Don Graham
Ron Bates
Graham Newton (Clogger)
John Oldacre (Popeye) worked with Pop on Frans Maas
Dave Kettrick (went on to drive for Mark Young)
Tony Bird (Budgie)
Tony Hayes
John Masterson
Pete Davis
Malcolm Knight
Barry Dimmock (Yard Man)
Roy Reece
Gill Merrick

Garage Staff
Alan Morrison
Kevin Jones
Ian Jackson
Jeff Machin
Paul Harding
Eric (Fridge Fitter)
Ziggy Manis
Hope I’ve got these right :smiley:

Regards
Ant

you forgot Ray Gould, Phil Bunch Alan Rigby

Also missing bob shaw

Hi All,

Not to many photos etc popping up on this now - may have exhausted all resources sadly, had this given to me by Simon Knight the other day, taken in about 79 in Italy :slight_smile: Malc Knights F88

I’ll keep searching :slight_smile:

Regards
Ant

Hiya ant happy new year mate…have you looked on the m/e site in the last week.
some photos was posted. it said it was preminent parking for some trucks. the trailers behind was fridges.
the tin work was pale blue, i just woundered if they was Comart trailers.half way down page 209 mate.
see ya John

Hi John Happy New Year to you too, not seen photo, not been on for a while - been very busy with Euro 5 end etc lots of trucks to sort !!! Had a look - can’t find pic you are on about can you re post on here ■■
Ant