colonoscopy

If you ever had a colonoscopy or are planning on one, you can’t miss this one!!!

ABOUT THE WRITER
Dave Barry is a Pulitzer Prize-winning humor columnist for the
Miami Herald.

Colonoscopy Journal:

I called my friend Andy Sable, a gastroenterologist, to make
an appointment for a colonoscopy.
A few days later, in his office, Andy showed me a color diagram of the colon, a lengthy organ that appears to go all over the place, at one point passing briefly through Minneapolis.
Then Andy explained the colonoscopy procedure to me in a thorough, reassuring and patient manner.
I nodded thoughtfully, but I didn’t really hear anything he said, because my brain was shrieking, ‘HE’S GOING TO STICK A TUBE 17,000 FEET UP YOUR BEHIND!’
I left Andy’s office with some written instructions, and a prescription for a product called ‘MoviPrep,’ which comes in a box large enough to hold a microwave oven. I will discuss MoviPrep in detail later; for now suffice it to say that we must never allow it to fall into the hands of America’s enemies.
I spent the next several days productively sitting around being nervous.
Then, on the day before my colonoscopy, I began my preparation. In accordance with my instructions, I didn’t eat any solid food that day; all I had was chicken broth, which is basically water, only with less flavor.
Then, in the evening, I took the MoviPrep. You mix two packets of powder together in a one-literplastic jug, then you fill it with lukewarm water. (For those unfamiliar with the metric system, a liter is about 32 gallons). Then you have to drink the whole jug. This takes about an hour, because MoviPrep tastes - and here I am being kind - like a mixture of goat
spit and urinal cleanser, with just a hint of lemon…

The instructions for MoviPrep, clearly written by somebody with a great sense of humour, state that after you drink it, ‘a loose, watery bowel movement may result.’

This is kind of like saying that after you jump off your roof, you may experience contact with the ground.
MoviPrep is a nuclear laxative. I don’t want to be too graphic, here, but,
have you ever seen a space-shuttle launch? This is pretty much the MoviPrep experience, with you as the shuttle. There are times when you wish the commode had a seat belt. You spend several hours pretty much confined to the bathroom, spurting violently. You eliminate everything. And then, when you figure you must be totally empty, you have to drink another liter of MoviPrep, at which point, as far as I can tell, your bowels travel into the future and start eliminating food that you have not even eaten yet.

After an action-packed evening, I finally got to sleep.

The next morning my wife drove me to the clinic. I was very nervous. Not
only was I worried about the procedure, but I had been experiencing occasional return bouts of MoviPrep spurtage. I was thinking, ‘What if I spurt on Andy?’ How do you apologise to a friend for something like that? Flowers would not be enough.

At the clinic I had to sign many forms acknowledging that I understood and totally agreed with whatever the heck the forms said. Then they led me to a room full of other colonoscopy people, where I went inside a little curtained space and took off my clothes and put on one of those hospital garments designed by sadist perverts, the kind that, when you put it on, makes you feel even more naked than when you are actually naked…

Then a nurse named Eddie put a little needle in a vein in my left hand.
Ordinarily I would have fainted, but Eddie was very good, and I was
already lying down. Eddie also told me that some people put vodka in their MoviPrep.

At first I was ticked off that I hadn’t thought of this, but then I pondered what would happen if you got yourself too tipsy to make it to the bathroom, so you were staggering around in full Fire Hose Mode. You would have no choice but to burn your house…

When everything was ready, Eddie wheeled me into the procedure
room, where Andy was waiting with a nurse and an anesthesiologist. I
did not see the 17,000-foot tube, but I knew Andy had it hidden around there somewhere. I was seriously nervous at this point.

Andy had me roll over on my left side, and the anesthesiologist began hooking something up to the needle in my hand.

There was music playing in the room, and I realized that the song was ‘Dancing Queen’ by ABBA. I remarked to Andy that, of all the songs that could be playing during this particular procedure, ‘Dancing Queen’
had to be the least appropriate.

‘You want me to turn it up?’ said Andy, from somewhere behind me.

‘Ha ha,’ I said. And then it was time, the moment I had been dreading for more than a decade. If you are squeamish, prepare yourself, because I am going to tell you, in explicit detail, exactly what it was like.

I have no idea. Really. I slept through it. One moment, ABBA was yelling ‘Dancing Queen, feel the beat of the tambourine,’ and the next moment, I was back in the other room, waking up in a very mellow mood.

Andy was looking down at me and asking me how I felt. I felt excellent. I
felt even more excellent when Andy told me that It was all over, and that my colon had passed with flying colors. I have never been prouder of an internal organ.

On the subject of Colonoscopies…

Colonoscopies are no joke, but these comments during the exam were quite humourous!!! A physician claimed that the following are actual comments made by his patients (predominately male) while he was performing their
colonoscopies:

‘Take it easy, Doc. You’re boldly going where no man has gone before!’
‘Find Amelia Earhart yet?’
‘Can you hear me NOW?’
‘Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet?’
‘You know, in Arkansas, we’re now legally married.’
6… ‘Any sign of the trapped miners, Chief?’
‘You put your left hand in, you take your left hand out…’
‘Hey! Now I know how a Muppet feels!’
‘If your hand doesn’t fit, you must quit!’
‘Hey Doc, let me know if you find my dignity.’
‘You used to be an executive at Enron, didn’t you?’
‘God, now I know why I am not gay.’

And the best one of all:

‘Could you write a note for my wife saying that my head is not up there?’

had that Last week … :open_mouth:
Its like watching Journey To The Centre of The Earth … in full Technicolour :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

She even gave me a TATTOO I think it said Mel was ur 2014 :unamused: :grimacing: :unamused: but its like half a mt up in the dark abyss :wink: :wink:

No S H Y T Sherlock its an EYE OPENER :open_mouth:

Very apt . never had that when I had mine.

At the end of mine I passed out. Never do I want anything going inside of me again.

And the time waiting just to past wind again was a very long time.

Don’t ■■■■ it!!!

Having one of those must be a real ‘pain in the arse’ :wink: :laughing:

tears of laughter and the kids have told me to be quite as they can’t hear the TV for the laughter. lmfao

Must be a pain being the ■■■■ of the jokes :open_mouth:

Have you ever heard a program on the radio called ‘Meet David Sedaris’? He does a brilliant story about his colonoscopy - had me in stitches. He’s currently on r4 at 630 on a Tuesday evening, and is well worth a listen to. He’s a quietly spoken storyteller, with a great sense of humour.

Bloody hilarious that!

Have experienced this delightful procedure earlier this year. I think everyone is offered this screening now when they hit 55, and despite the dread and humiliation, i figured the most sensible thing to do was to man up and go through with it. Mercifully, i was out colder than liquid nitrogen!

Being single a few years ago, my diet consisted of fried breakfast from the cafe, curry, beer and kebabs, this led to a bit of an acid problem, which I discovered after a bout of exorcist style puking as I was driving through the Dartford Tunnel. I went to the doctors after a few days of this (I had left the tunnel by then) and I was sent to the hospital for some tests.

I had to go for a flexible sigmoidoscopy (a tube up the jacksie) and was given a glycerin suppository to insert on the morning of the procedure.

Well it wasn’t nuclear, but it was bloody fast acting, fortunately as I was poking it up my eminox I was in the bathroom, again fortunately I was single as this meant the toilet lid was up, there was no way I would’ve had time to lift it before all hell broke loose. It lasted for some time too, I never realized I ate that much.

At the hospital I assumed the position and the doctor did his thing. After he had finished he started his lecture on how I needed a lifestyle change, to which I remarked that it was slightly weird that a bloke who spends all day with his fingers up people’s tea towel holders thought that it was me and not him that needed a lifestyle change, the nurse gave a chuckle, the doctor however, was not in the least bit amused.

I did listen to his advice though and my acid problem went away quickly, which was the idea I suppose, the bit that made me take notice the most was the invasive part of it all, for me that orifice is a one way street and if it meant swerving the curry house and pub for a while, that was a far better alternative than old sausage fingers delving between my arse cheeks again.

Very good but not quite up there with the legendary Picolax thread which has brought joy to many. For those who haven’t read it, give yourself half hour, make a brew and enjoy…

singletrackworld.com/2009/02/the … d-returns/

DaiDap:
Very good but not quite up there with the legendary Picolax thread which has brought joy to many. For those who haven’t read it, give yourself half hour, make a brew and enjoy…

singletrackworld.com/2009/02/the … d-returns/

Absolute Classic that thread. :laughing:

That is seriously funny, wife & daughter looking at me like I’m ready to be carted off. Reminds me of this email I got a while ago.

Natal curry contest

If you can read this whole story without laughing then there’s no hope
for
you. I was crying by the end…
NOTE:
Please take time to read this excerpt slowly.
If you pay attention to the first two judges, the reaction of the third
judge is even better. For those of you who have lived in Natal, you
know
how typical this is! They actually have a Curry Cook-off about
June/July.
It takes up a major portion of a parking lot at the Royal Show in PMB.
Judge #3 was an inexperienced food critic named Frank, who was visiting
from America.

Frank: “Recently, I was honoured to be selected as a judge at a Curry
Cook-off. The original person called in sick at the last moment and so I
happened to be standing there at the judge’s table asking for directions
to the Beer Garden when the call came in. I was assured by the other
two
judges (Natal Indians) that the curry wouldn’t be all that spicy and,
besides, they told me I could have free beer during the tasting, so I
accepted”.

Here are the scorecard notes from the event:

CURRY # 1 - SEELAN’S MANIAC MONSTER TOMATO CURRY…
Judge # 1 – A little too heavy on the tomato. Amusing kick.
Judge # 2 – Nice smooth tomato flavour. Very mild.
Judge # 3 (Frank) – Holy ■■■■, what the hell is this stuff? You could
remove dried paint from your driveway. Took me two beers to put the
flames
out. I hope that’s the worst one. These people are crazy.

CHILI # 2 - PHOENIX BBQ CHICKEN CURRY…
Judge # 1 – Smoky, with a hint of chicken. Slight chili tang.
Judge # 2 – Exciting BBQ flavor, needs more peppers to be taken
seriously. Judge # 3 – Keep this out of the reach of children. I’m not
sure what I’m supposed to taste besides pain. I had to wave off two
people
who wanted to give me the Heimlich manoeuvre! They had to rush in more
beer when they saw the look on my face.

CURRY # 3 - SHAMILA’S FAMOUS “BURN DOWN THE GARAGE” CURRY…
Judge # 1 – Excellent firehouse curry. Great kick.
Judge # 2 – A bit salty, good use of chili peppers.
Judge # 3 – Call 911. I’ve located a uranium spill. My nose feels like
I
have been snorting Drain Cleaner. Everyone knows the routine by now.
Get
me more beer before I ignite. Barmaid pounded me on the back, now my
backbone is in the front part of my chest. I’m getting ■■■■■■ from all
the
beer.

CHILI # 4 - BABOOS BLACK MAGIC BEAN CURRY…
Judge # 1 – Black bean curry with almost no spice. Disappointing.
Judge

2 – Hint of lime in the black beans. Good side dish for fish or other

mild foods, not much of a curry. Judge # 3 – I felt something scraping
across my tongue, but was unable to taste it. Is it possible to burn out
taste buds? Shareen, the beer maid, was standing behind me with fresh
refills. That 200kg woman is starting to look HOT…just like this
nuclear waste I’m eating! Is chili an aphrodisiac?

CHILI # 5 LALL’S LEGAL LIP REMOVER…
Judge # 1 – Meaty, strong curry. Cayenne peppers freshly ground, adding
considerable kick. Very impressive. Judge # 2 – Average beef curry,
could use more tomato. Must admit the chili peppers make a strong
statement. Judge # 3 – My ears are ringing, sweat is pouring off my
forehead and I can no longer focus my eyes. I ■■■■■■ and four people
behind me needed paramedics. The contestant seemed offended when I told
her that her chili had given me brain damage. Shareen saved my tongue
from
bleeding by pouring beer directly on it from the pitcher. I wonder if
I’m
burning my lips off. It really ■■■■■■ me off that the other judges asked
me to stop screaming. Screw them

CHILI # 6 - VERISHNEE’S VEGETARIAN VARIETY…
Judge # 1 – Thin yet bold vegetarian variety curry. Good balance of
spices and peppers. Judge # 2 – The best yet. Aggressive use of
peppers,
onions, and garlic. Superb. Judge # 3 – My intestines are now a
straight
pipe filled with gaseous, sulfuric flames. I am definitely going to
■■■■
myself if I ■■■■ and I’m worried it will eat through the chair. No one
seems inclined to stand behind me except that Shareen. Can’t feel my
lips
anymore. I need to wipe my ■■■ with a snow cone ice cream.

CHILI # 7 - SELINA’S “MOTHER-IN-LAW’S-TONGUE” CURRY…
Judge # 1 – A mediocre curry with too much reliance on canned peppers.
Judge # 2 – Ho hum, tastes as if the chef literally threw in a can of
chili peppers at the last moment. (I should take note at this stage
that
I am worried about Judge # 3. He appears to be in a bit of distress as
he
is cursing uncontrollably). Judge # 3 – You could put a grenade in my
mouth, pull the pin, and I wouldn’t feel a thing. Ive lost sight in one
eye, and the world sounds like it is made of rushing water. My shirt is
covered with curry which slid unnoticed out of my mouth. My pants are
full of lava to match my shirt. At least, during the autopsy, theyll
know
what killed me. I’ve decided to stop breathing - it’s too painful.
Screw
it; I’m not getting any oxygen anyway. If I need air I’ll just ■■■■ it
in
through the 4-inch hole in my stomach.

CHILI # 8 - NAIDOOS TOENAIL CURLING CURRY…
Judge # 1 – The perfect ending. This is a nice blend curry. Not too
bold but spicy enough to declare its existence. Judge # 2 – This
final
entry is a good, balanced curry. Neither mild nor hot. Sorry to see
that
most of it was lost when Judge #3 ■■■■■■, passed out, fell over and
pulled
the curry pot down on top of himself. Not sure if he’s going to make
it.
Poor man, wonder how he’d have reacted to really hot curry? Judge # 3 -
No Report

I recently underwent a prostrate examination. The doc had a finger like Fred Dibnah’s rivetting hammer. When I’d got my keks back up I asked him if he bit his nails. For some reason he didn’t reply.
Incidentally, It was 3 days later before I could ■■■■ with confidence.

If you are in your 50s and have to pee regularly take yourself down to the surgery and get what the Fat Controller had.I was checked out and sent on to have a camera up the bum day.You lie on your side and can see the screen of your own insides(looks like an old episode of Dr.Who).Get it gone though if its cancer and caught early you will most likely recover with no ill effects.

alamcculloch:
If you are in your 50s and have to pee regularly take yourself down to the surgery and get what the Fat Controller had.I was checked out and sent on to have a camera up the bum day.You lie on your side and can see the screen of your own insides(looks like an old episode of Dr.Who).Get it gone though if its cancer and caught early you will most likely recover with no ill effects.

I go every 2 yrs , theres a family history of bowel cancer (my dads side ) . its not a pleasant experience but neither is the alternative if its not caught early enough . if a dog was allowed to suffer the way my dad (and other family) did someone would have been jailed for cruelty. my advice to anyone offered this by their doc is man up and take it there is nothing macho about cancer .