Collision Avoidence Systems

Did some one mention in a post that these systems have to be fitted to new trucks from November?

weeto:
Did some one mention in a post that these systems have to be fitted to new trucks from November?

Let’s hope so. They are already fitted to many cars so the sooner they are put on trucks the better.
Dumb drivers need all the help they can get.
Personally I would just put them off the road permanently.

weeto:

I’ve heard that too but how does it work ? We have reversing sensors on a lot of our trailers and sometimes they come on for no reason so hopefully this won’t happen with these new collision avoidance systems !!!

bald bloke:

weeto:

I’ve heard that too but how does it work ? We have reversing sensors on a lot of our trailers and sometimes they come on for no reason so hopefully this won’t happen with these new collision avoidance systems !!!

We are OK. It has been proved many time electronics are far more reliable than bad drivers.
I just hope they get really frustrated when they cannot be bully boys anymore.
It will make my day.

weeto:

Yes it ''twas me. I got the info from a Volvo video on YouTube.

I’d been watching the ‘Reality Roads’ series of videos and came across this one all about their collision avoidance system. Very informative.

Definitely life saving stuff

Interesting video, only asked because we have had some new trucks delivered with it fitted.
God knows what will happen to the tailgater when the truck slams the brakes on with out warning because being the Volvo driver missed something,
Volvo like putting stuff on their vehicles to protect the driver, like SIPS for when the car driver pulls out on a motorcycle!

They’re on the DAF CFs I drive. Firkin useless a lot of the time. They regularly get triggered by certain bridges on the motorways as you drive down the road with the one by J50 A1M and J34 M62 being two of the favourites for sounding the alarm for the routes I drive, posts for traffic lights and signs at offset stop lines and as soon as there’s a light covering of snow on the front of the wagon it faults and turns off. They also come on when there are situations where you can clearly see the car in front will have moved out of the way by the time you’ve got there, i.e turning into a petrol station or roadside cafe. ABS issue with the trailer, turns itself off.

Conor:
They’re on the DAF CFs I drive. Firkin useless a lot of the time. They regularly get triggered by certain bridges on the motorways as you drive down the road with the one by J50 A1M and J34 M62 being two of the favourites for sounding the alarm for the routes I drive, posts for traffic lights and signs at offset stop lines and as soon as there’s a light covering of snow on the front of the wagon it faults and turns off. They also come on when there are situations where you can clearly see the car in front will have moved out of the way by the time you’ve got there, i.e turning into a petrol station or roadside cafe. ABS issue with the trailer, turns itself off.

I would hope the Volvo system would be better. I may be misguided but I think they are the leaders in this kind of technology. But it seems all new trucks will have these systems, another thing for the driver to deal with but I think a life saver as well.

If you look at the other systems they are developing they have one that can identify cyclists and ‘predict’ their behaviour. One that scans the area 360 degrees around the truck and warns the driver of potential problems and of course they are on with the autonomous vehicles.

I do know someone wrote of a new FH within 4 days of getting it. The driver ploughed straight into the back of standing traffic. Even with the collision avoidance system he still hit them but nobody was killed. Driver admitted he was ‘feeling sleepy’ and ‘may have nodded off’. The truck hit the brakes for him - he admitted that. Truck was a right mess. So it shows the systems aren’t perfect but I do wonder what the outcome would have been had the truck not braked at all because the driver was sleeping.

Just another tool in the box for the driver to use.