Collections & Deliveries

Maybe I should be putting this in the newbie section of TN but I found my first thread go some brilliant response…So posting my questions here where most of you all seem to hang out…

Please can you advise on the protocol of both collections and deliverers at either RDC’s and business in general…As a newbie are most if not all RDC’s are security gate controlled, do you need some form of identification for just a just a case of showing some little Mr important paperwork, who directs you where to park and the so called rules of the RDC…ie wearing Hi vis…etc etc…
So you go to the office and report in… do you wait in a reception, canteen or back in ya cab…do you get told which bay to stick it on straight away…with your doors open… what if you in a curtain sided unit when do you open them…

How do you know when there ready to load your truck, number called over a speaker …forkie waving his arms like ground crew or banging on the trailer if your on a bay…then do you instruct how you want it loaded or just let them crack on with it…

Then moving on to deliveries… there’s obviously a time window that you’ve got to be at the delivery point…so if your running late do you all the office and let them deal with it…or do you contact the client and advise them with the delay… at that point what’s the sort of abuse do you get on the phone by someone giving you attitude…
So you get there and report to the office then again do you wait until called…open your curtains and start unstrapping…

Any do’s and don’ts I should be aware off

First thing to know about RDC’s is that they hate you, they hate all truck drivers because we bring in the stuff they want. Turn up 5 minutes after your booking time and they go nuts yet they will quite happly keep you waiting hours and hours while they ■■■■ about. Some of course are better than others.

Radar19:
First thing to know about RDC’s is that they hate you, they hate all truck drivers because we bring in the stuff they want. Turn up 5 minutes after your booking time and they go nuts yet they will quite happly keep you waiting hours and hours while they ■■■■ about. Some of course are better than others.

You forgot the disingenuous smile while they say: “Sorry, you’ll have to wait!” :smiley:

RoadWarrior39:
Maybe I should be putting this in the newbie section of TN but I found my first thread go some brilliant response…So posting my questions here where most of you all seem to hang out…

Please can you advise on the protocol of both collections and deliverers at either RDC’s and business in general…As a newbie are most if not all RDC’s are security gate controlled, do you need some form of identification for just a just a case of showing some little Mr important paperwork, who directs you where to park and the so called rules of the RDC…ie wearing Hi vis…etc etc…
So you go to the office and report in… do you wait in a reception, canteen or back in ya cab…do you get told which bay to stick it on straight away…with your doors open… what if you in a curtain sided unit when do you open them…

How do you know when there ready to load your truck, number called over a speaker …forkie waving his arms like ground crew or banging on the trailer if your on a bay…then do you instruct how you want it loaded or just let them crack on with it…

Then moving on to deliveries… there’s obviously a time window that you’ve got to be at the delivery point…so if your running late do you all the office and let them deal with it…or do you contact the client and advise them with the delay… at that point what’s the sort of abuse do you get on the phone by someone giving you attitude…
So you get there and report to the office then again do you wait until called…open your curtains and start unstrapping…

Any do’s and don’ts I should be aware off

If your running late ring driver line ,phone calls logged so your backs covered ,they will then contact customer of your eta ( if you have one ) ,very simple system ( driver line =customer services )

Always wear your PPE, Hi Viz done up (especially at sp’Asda) Tosco’s usually have a button to press & you speak to a (usually) unhappy little ■■■■ on the other end, don’t upset him/her because it the same little ■■■■ on the goods in desk, hand paperwork in & they ‘might’ allocate you a bay, if not you have to wait for them to shout at you with a bay number, don’t speed, some insist on hazards some don’t (just watch what everyone else is doing) sp’Asda often have Sherpa’s & Gherka’s on the gate, they’re usually ok, they book you in with your reference numbers & send you round to goods in. S’p’ainsbury’s , Mor’on’isons & Wait’alongtime’rose you report to the gate & if they’re satisfied with you & they’ve interrogated you enough (sometimes) they let you in, go to goods in & they’ll put you right. All of 'em usually want your keys, Tosco’s & Spainsburys don’t let you sit in the cab, Morrisons & some spAsda’s do.
Time windows can be strict, usually within about half an hour of your booked time (either side) I’ve seen Johnny Foreigners arrive 3 hours late (all the way from Fuzzy Wuzzy Land) on a Friday & been made to rebook the delivery for the following Monday (if they’ve got any slots) get there on time & at least you’ve got Ammunition in your Gun if they mess you about for 4 hours, I’ve been pulled out twice from Waitrose MK because they’ve not put me on a bay within 45 minutes of my booking time, they’re management went Loopy, but my planners told me to drive away (I loved it, hopefully they had empty shelves for a few days)
Do’s & Don’ts-
Do everything by the book
Don’t plan to be away very quick
Especially don’t arrange a meal with the missus for that night, in fact don’t plan anything all week, only relax at weekends.

Evil8Beezle:

Radar19:

You forgot the disingenuous smile while they say: “Sorry, you’ll have to wait!” :smiley:

To which you reply “cool, I’m on hourly pay”. :slight_smile:

Some crap holes (like Sainsbury’s Stoke that I did today), wont let you sit in your cab. You have to sit in a dodgy little room, listening to fellas endlessly chatting [zb].

Others will let you sit in your cab. Some don’t give a f*ck what you do.

But as mentioned above somewhere, none of them give a flying fig about you.

Depends where your delivering too,I deliver to Manchester airport cargo sometimes and they won’t take anything from you unless you have proof of ID either driving licence or passport,but nowadYs Your licence needs to be with you at all times anyway so it’s no biggie.

It’s a learning process. Don’t be cocky or stroppy it won’t help your cause. Have a good look around the clues are normally there.
Don’t be afraid to ask. I usually start with a “morning/afternoon, not been here before what do I do please”. Never had anyone ignore me.

From what modest experience ive had of large sites, the protocol varies greatly. Some rigidly adhere to the most finicky details (bloody Amazon for one), others have given up bothering with any of it (even if its strict “company policy”).

I think a cheerful and friendly demeanour goes a long, long way in these places, and any display of impatience or exasperation is only going to lead to an even longer wait. As an example of this, i was the very model of friendliness at Stoke Pets at Home the other night, and was rewarded for my exemplary behaviour with a mere 3hr turnaround, despite there being only one other visiting artic on the entire, vast complex. :confused:

Never ever say you need to be out by a certain time

Had to Google disingenuous :smiley:

Polite & friendly all the way for me, plus a touch of psychology gets the results you need first time at a place I’ll start with a cheery greeting and then something like ; “first time here mate, I’m a virgin so be gentle with me”, this usually brings a smile to their faces but more importantly it has established a pecking order where they automatically assume they’re superior to you, and as everybody loves to have their ego massaged they feel empowered and will subconsciously go out of their way to help you.

I personally don’t give a rats ■■■ whether or not they think they are better than me, it’s the end result I’m interested in.

midlifetrucker:

Unless you are rapidly running out of legal working hours ( spreadover ) … in which case inform both your boss / planner / transport office AND Goods-In … start about 1hr before your time is due … check back every 15mins to remind them ( if they are not getting you sorted ).

I had this with ASDA @ Magna Park … cut a long story … ended up parking in their yard against the fence with 2 mins left on a 15 hr spreadover.
I had been on the bay for over 4 hrs, whilst they messed about. Kept goods-in informed, as to my situation. Had my 9hrs off … then went back to get my notes before leaving.
I’ve had this a few times … be polite … but firm … it is YOUR licence / your responsibility for your hours.
If you’ve got a good boss / office, they should back you up.

midlifetrucker:

Have to disagree with that! I used to go to Nisa at Scunthorpe fairly regular and if I was pushed for time I’d pass the gatehouse test then explain at goods in that my time was close.

I told them my time (did have to lie a little) and say if I wasn’t to be tipped and clear by ■■■ time then I suggest I leave NOW and park up over the road. Sometimes they would say park up and sometimes they would tip me quickly. I was always polite and simply said I’m not bothered either way - it was up to them!

Worked for me anyway :smiley:

I always make out no problems. I put my kettle on the dash get a book or tablet out and look comfortable. Normally gets them moving