Coalite Chemicals Bolsover

Some memories for me there. The Bulkliner SedAk fleet in those colours was during my 2nd or 3rd stint there. They replaced the old Borderers and were themselves replaced by some F7s amongst others, the first sleeper cabs I think. I went through the lot in my time including a single A series ERF which got me into hot water with the shop steward for doing a perfectly legal tip/load and back home when him and his mates were having nights out - in those SedAks :unamused: .
When I started it was an all Borderer fleet and well maintained. By the time I finally left it was a right hotch potch and the standard had gone right downhill.

Liked the picture of the Hymas Hoynor tipper. I was a big fan of those although most people look at them with fear and wondering these days.

Finally the pictures of Coalite and the weighbridge. Not all good memories. The stink was awful, the job dirty, and teetering about on the thin top edges of those containers just a tad dangerous. And those tipper skels could catch you out. If you didn’t attach the bottle screw to the front frame when the box was lifted off and pulled off the pad, the chances are that it would fall flat and the twin rams telescoped right out along the chassis. :smiling_imp:
Also memories of leaving that bridge during the 70s miners’ strike to brave the massed pickets hundreds strong at the entrance. I wouldn’t have, and never have, crossed a line at a place on strike, but Coalite was nothing to do with them, as also were not the Notts pits which had democratically voted against strike in the 80s.

Really interesting pictures mate, and superb quality too, given that they are ‘vintage’!!!

great pictures mate, any 70’s/80;s tankers get my vote keep them up… :smiley:

Great stuff basically! :sunglasses:

Ive loaded a time or two from those big old tanks where the F88 was loading. The smell of Coal Tar as you drove past on the motorway.

Myself and a “pror per” Suffolk boy from Roger Turners were pulling out of there for over 6 months with Zeetank

And a nice view of the place looking North from an M1 overbridge.It really cleared yer lungs out in there with that smell of coal tar. :slight_smile:
Brought some memories back for me,thanks for the pics BD.

bonkey…i remember rushcliffes.the coal strike 1980’s they were running out of the opencast at bloxwich nr walsall.great pics

The ERF on the inside lane of the M1 heading south in the last photo looks like one of Wilsons from Stockport.
Wonder if they’re still going? :smiley:

Great photos.Love the Bulkliners S A 400. We had an ex Alfred Hymas Foden S80, it was well used by the time we got it !!

curnock:
bonkey…i remember rushcliffes.the coal strike 1980’s they were running out of the opencast at bloxwich nr walsall.great pics

They were on Rugeley power station as well, i think hargreaves bought them out.

THANKS a lot for the wonderful photos any chance
of you postiing some more please

HI DONKEY BOLLOX, MY DAD DROVE FOR OVER 17YEARS AT COALITE RUNNING MAINLY OUT OF grimethorpe, HE DROVE TRB???K and AWJ120T AMONGST OTHERS HE WORKED WITH MEL DANNY AND A DRIVER CALLED THE PARAMEDIC. ANY CHANCE YOU CAN COPY THESE PICTURES AND SEND THEM TO ME ALLCOSTS COVERED OBVIOUSLY

THANKS
SAM

Came across this photo recently

i love these type of pictures when you can see the old fashioned yards with 45 gallon drums and old pallets all over the place, it brings back good memorys and you feel when you look at the pictures you are actually stood there in the yard. not like today logistics yards.

Good pictures, only went there a few times during my time on bulk tippers between 1973/78, seem to remember it was good loading compared with a lot of NCB landsale points althoug the smell was something else! :sunglasses:

jessicas dad:
i love these type of pictures when you can see the old fashioned yards with 45 gallon drums and old pallets all over the place, it brings back good memorys and you feel when you look at the pictures you are actually stood there in the yard. not like today logistics yards.

You and me both Alex. :smiley:

If anybody else has any more pics like those above please please please keep them coming.

I remember one of A.E.Evans drivers at a paint factory at Bury nosed into a corner to pump xylene off and couldn’t get out of the cab for drums so decided to walk on top of 'em - fine except one had no lid and down he went,full of allsorts of liquid.Shower time. :laughing:

dieseldave:

jessicas dad:

You and me both Alex. :smiley:

If anybody else has any more pics like those above please please please keep them coming.

Tank 369.JPG
X141LRT+369.JPG

I can remember loading out of there as a kids with my Dad. He drove for RF&G Bowman in Mansfield. He would load the F12 up to deliver to Charrington fuels, and various coal yards. It would be stacked right up the sides of the trailer with the net holding it all in. The regular driver used greedy boards especially on the 8 wheelers.