Coal mountain Merythr

Is there anybody on here who knows what’s going on with that pile of coal/ash or whatever it is at the top of Merthyr Tydfil, it must be several million ton of coal related stuff and it appears its being moved to somewhere. It’s certainly looks a mammouth job.

Ffos-y-fran opencast mine, all the coal is being transported by rail to aberthaw power station no coal is being transported by road due to planning rules.

Ok thanks for that, also what about all the little various piles of coal I see which are now covered in grass scattered about on the side of hills and at various points on the Heads of the valley road , is that discarded coal that wasn’t suitable for burning :question:

They are called coal slag heaps, just the waste products of coal mining

I’m surprised they were allowed to dump it in the places they have, I know some are quite well covered in grass and gorse now but in places you can still see coal. Drove over the moors to Blaenavon the other day and you go past a sign saying Brecon National Park and then you see thousands of tons of waste coal its a shame.

Theres a massive mountain of it up by wrexham 6million tons or so :open_mouth:
The Aberfan disaster was caused by a slag heap sliding into the village killing 144 people.

when they applied to open the mine the local NIMBY’s were so upset they got together to fight it but they lost so it went to appeal and they lost that as well, my dad tells me (he lives about a mile from it) that those NIMBY’s who signed up for the fight are now looking at a huge legal bill :open_mouth: be careful what you sign up against :laughing: