Co Pilot Truck Sat Nav, best thing since sliced bread?

I noticed that the European version is £99 with free traffic for 12 months.
Is there anything else to pay?

Radar19:
I do have a first gen iPad knocking about but that only has wifi on it.

Wifi is all you need as you download it at home on your wifi connection, then connect your phone to it through wifi if you want to utilise the traffic alerts, I couldnt find the free trial on apple only on a tablet, I believe which was android. On apple I had to take the plunge and buy it.

Meduc:
I noticed that the European version is £99 with free traffic for 12 months.
Is there anything else to pay?

The traffic is free for first 12 months then you have to subscribe to it after that first year. A small price in my opinion but some may find that a bitter pill to swallow. All i can say is that the traffic has been spot on for me so I consider that as a bonus rather than perhaps a free traffic service that may not be updated as fast.

I already own a Tom Tom 6000 Lifetime edition, I might seen if I can give it a whirl. I do have a Google Pixel as my phone though.

Radar19:
I already own a Tom Tom 6000 Lifetime edition, I might seen if I can give it a whirl. I do have a Google Pixel as my phone though.

I wanted it on my ipad for the size and to be a multi function item. I can browse the internet, watch tv and have the sat nav all on one item. Using it on a phone is a good option as the traffic would run from your data allowance.

Tried it today going round the arse end of Cornwall, and I must say that it’s even better than a £700 TomTom unit I’ve used before. Didn’t hit a single 7.5t sign, and it kept me on the main roads as much as sensibly possible. Traffic info quite good, but it really needs to be used on a tablet, found myself squinting at it sometimes on a phone screen.

Even if you go out and buy an el cheapo tablet from Tesco and buy the license for it, still a ton cheaper than a sat nav unit, and seems better than them anyway.

iomex:
Tried it today going round the arse end of Cornwall, and I must say that it’s even better than a £700 TomTom unit I’ve used before. Didn’t hit a single 7.5t sign, and it kept me on the main roads as much as sensibly possible. Traffic info quite good, but it really needs to be used on a tablet, found myself squinting at it sometimes on a phone screen.

Even if you go out and buy an el cheapo tablet from Tesco and buy the license for it, still a ton cheaper than a sat nav unit, and seems better than them anyway.

I agree it is better on a tablet than a phone, i use my ipad and I love it. I thought my Garmin Dezl was good but this really does knock spots off that.

Ive finally got my brother to get an update from my 4 year old co-pilot, so I now have the latest version, with newest maps, well chuffed again. Grand cost, a packet of biscuits to keep him happy!

How does it know where it is if it’s off line? Downloaded it but it says it’s looking for current position constantly and it doesn’t move along the map or in the direction I’m travelling in? Have I got my setting messed up? I press the green button after putting in the address and it does nowt!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fredthered:
How does it know where it is if it’s off line? Downloaded it but it says it’s looking for current position constantly and it doesn’t move along the map or in the direction I’m travelling in? Have I got my setting messed up? I press the green button after putting in the address and it does nowt!

Sounds like a problem with your device as the app uses a built in gps so the maps are downloaded to your device and works offline. Only need to connect to the internet for updates and traffic. I would delete your download and download it again.

fredthered:

What have you downloaded it to? is it your phone or a tablet? If it is your phone it will need to have your permission to use your current position. You have to agree to allow it to use this position. Another possibility is your location, If it is a farm track or something off map it will normally just display a blanc screen until you reach a road or somewhere that has been mapped.

Got the car version about 2 years ago that’s on the iPhone. iPad is due to be changed soon so I put the copilot truck on that because I wanted a bigger screen. The car app works fine on the phone but it doesn’t work on the iPad either. The iPad is wifi only not cellular. Don’t normally struggle with this stuff but can’t get any of them to work. The truck app is a trial version from the copilot site not the App Store but as the car one doesn’t work on the iPad either I must need the cellular iPad if I renew it. Can’t see why though if it is usable off line?

You don’t need cellular service on the ipad, Mine has a sim card slot but no sim card installed. may sound daft but have you updated your ios software lately as it requires ios 6.0 .

Yes up to date iOS 10.3.2 so it must be something else in the settings if cellular isn’t needed. I’ll have a look at all the settings later after work and try and find the problem. I’ll post when it’s sorted in case it helps others. Thanks for now [emoji106]

Just an update on this app and its suitability for use on iPad/iPhone & this is from copilot’s own site:

CoPilot apps require iOS 7 or greater
iPhone: CoPilot is compatible with iPhone 4, 4S, 5, 5C, 5S, SE 6, 6+ 6S, 6S+, 7, 7+
iPad: CoPilot apps will run on iPads and iPad Minis.
Please note that only 3G and 4G cellular-enabled iPads have GPS receivers in them, and are the ONLY models that can provide turn-by-turn voice guidance. If you plan to use a Wi-Fi only iPad, you will need to purchase a third-party external GPS receiver (iOS specific Bluetooth GPS Receivers, such as Bad Elf or GNS) for CoPilot to function.
If you choose our HD-ready iOS apps, the app will run in full screen on an iPad. If you choose our non-HD apps, CoPilot will still run. Our HD apps also run on iPhone.

Didn’t think I’d made such a basic error when I got the app but it did no harm to check. Next iPad will be cellular enabled!

Glad you sussed it out, I have the ipad with cellular service but dont have a sim card in it. I assumed all ipads had this facility.

No worries [emoji6] Easy to assume that but glad I checked before paying out for my next iPad. My satnav is old too so it’ll be great to have everything in one place and obviously a cheaper all round option.

UKtramp:
Glad you sussed it out, I have the ipad with cellular service but dont have a sim card in it. I assumed all ipads had this facility.

And just to add to previous:

The app only needs a GPS receiver fitted to the iPad so you could plug in an external GPS receiver from eBay for about £20.

Only iPads with SIM slots (cellular) come with an inbuilt GPS receiver.

So ideally you need an iPad with a SIM slot to use this app even though it is using only the GPS signal and thus a SIM card need not be fitted unless you want live traffic information.

In answer to an earlier question the maps are permantly stored in your devices memory once you initially download them via the app. This is a lot of data so best done over Wifi and will use a nice chunk of your free memory space.

Hope this helps somewhat.

And here is a link to the trail version
copilotgps.com/en-us/truck-navigation/

Hurryup&wait:

UKtramp:

In answer to an earlier question the maps are permantly stored in your devices memory once you initially download them via the app. This is a lot of data so best done over Wifi and will use a nice chunk of your free memory space.

Hope this helps somewhat.

For the EU version as I only work in the UK, I only downloaded the UK maps which saves a massive amount of storage, you can also download individual EU countries or the full EU maps as need be. The storage size isn’t really an issue with mine as I have 128 gig of storage on my ipad, the full EU maps only take up a small proportion of this and the UK only is even smaller. All maps are accurate and at street level. Once the app with maps are installed, it is lightening fast on re routing etc, far superior in comparison to a dedicated stand alone Sat Nav. I cannot see how anyone would buy a stand alone Truck Sat Nav when you can get this and have the full functionality of an ipad or tablet with a superior GPS. Everyone should be using this and if everyone knew about it I am sure they would.