CO-OP Class 2 Fridge Work

Anybody know what these are like (conditions, the office, motors, shifts etc)
as I’ve just got the application form through the post for the depot at Eccleshall.

Any info good or bad would be appreciated.

Cheers :slight_smile:

dont know anyone thats worked for the coop, however they are always advertising here in peterborough (which is normally a bad sign). pays around 25k varying slightly depending on what shift your on.

i worked out of halesowen money was around 24k think it was 360 take home but they just had pay rise so bit more now you get full sick pay discount card for coop shops pension and other benefits halesowen was mostly 4 days out of 6 dont know about eccelshall only reason i left coop was because of situation at home have a word with bigmike he stil at halesowen

Jeez coop multi drop job offered in Lincoln a few months back was £6.50 p/h for class2 ouch! I didnt bother to spread the word!

Are the runs reasonable or do they do daft schedules?

I was on agency for Co Op at alferton for about 6 weeks.

the runs weren’t to bad, 10 -12 drops, and once you got to know the stores it was pretty easy, and i always got a cuppa at each store, sometimes a bit of cake or a couple of biscuits too.

i would have stayed there but i got a full time perm job on class one.

harthill is a shambles. ■■■■■■■■■■■ dont care about drivers. on friday i sat at ■■■■■■■■■■■ for 4 hours to do what was supposed to be a trailer swap. i know another of our drivers did a job for them at the weekend and he didnt enjoy his experience with them either.

alldays was a great place to work. since co op took over, it has gone rapidly downhill. i wont touch them. i have said that before and friday was a desperate plea. i was the only class 1 available and since i had 3 jobs cancelled, i reluctantly accepted :blush:

Hi KJW

As mentioned above by my old Mucka Steve, I currently work for the Co-Op at the Halesowen Depot, where we deliver Frozen. Eccleshall deliver chilled product, mostly around Wales and the North West.

As with any job, there are good and bad elements. First main point to mention is that It’s multi drop work. Our Class 2 routes often have between 14 to 18 drops a day on them, I think it’s a little easier at Eccleshall due to larger orders but still expect to take out 10+ drops.Having said that, as mentioned earlier once you learn the stores the job DOES get loads easier, something some lads never find out cos they jack it after a month or so… so stick at it 12 weeks or so should see you right !

The Co-Op are working towards Sunday deliveries, and currently Halesowen does not do this but Eccleshall definately do. These are done on a rota basis, and usually you should get 3 days a week off.

Runs are generally set by ‘Central Planning’, and not by the depot, which can be frustrating. Some runs are sweet, but some seem like you’re passing one store to get to another.

The fleet has been massively improved in the 4 years I’ve worked for them, I think Eccleshall run mainly DAF CF rigid 4 wheelers, whilst the 6 wheelers are predominantly Scanias. ( mind the rear overhang in tight spots…they’re huge ! )

Pay is pretty good, I think, for the type of work. I drive artics but I’m sure the rigid rate is around the 25k mark, with a sick pay scheme, uniform, and what is regarded as one of the best pensions in the business. New starters automatically go onto 4 weekly pay. Most sites also have a social club that organise cricket matches/outings etc !

Training is really good too… this is a buzz word within the Co-Op within the last 18 months, and things really are changing here. Most sites now have a Computer skills learning room where time is made available for you should you wish to use that, and NVQ 2 and 3 are widely available to ANY driver who wants to do them. SAFED training is also done.

Right, reckon I’ve gone on enough for now, overall I honestly would say it’s the best job I’ve had in ages, I know they’ve got a bit of a ropey reputation from the past but things ARE being adressed, mostly through employee involvement so you CAN have your say. Any questions or anything I’ve missed mate just ask.
HTH :smiley:

Cheers Mike,

Got an interview next week. We will see how it goes but it seems a fair enough job.