CMR

What is the law here please and consequences if failing to obtain one as I’m in discussion with my operator on this matter

You will need a CMR for getting on the ferry, and when you you arrive the customs will need to check it to see what you are hauling.For booking on the ferry or train, the check in staff will need to see the CMR before they issue the tickets and boarding passes.
On random customs check points all over Europe, you can be asked for the CMR.
It will show the consignor and consignee details, the weight of the load, the destination and loading point.
Try the websites of Tachodisc Uk or the RHA and FTA for blank CMR forms.
When you reload or load, the factory will ask for a blank CMR that you , or the despatch office will fill in and stamp it and sign it.
I would advise to take some, or ask a driver on the ferry or at the port, you could photocopy some.
Do not think you can fined, but it is all the hassle of not having one.

Don’t really see what the problem is. Yes you will need one abroad but just fill one out if your not supplied with one, if its a straight forward load - i.e. no ADR, etc.there shouldn’t be any problem. Can’t remember the last time a customer supplied me with one and even on the odd occasion I get stopped on the way out on the Tunnel I tell them that I haven’t done it yet - well it gives me something to do on the train. Never had a problem.

Never used CMR’s on TransAm, never had a problem.

Plambert:
… if its a straight forward load - i.e. no ADR, etc.there shouldn’t be any problem.

There shouldn’t be a problem even if it’s an ADR load, because a correctly filled in CMR is far more than ADR’s requirement for a Transport Document.

A CMR complies with ADR if the entry for the dangerous goods complies with ADR’s format, which is very easy to achieve.

The ADR requirements are as follows:

1.) UN four-digit number, preceded by the letters “UN”
2.) Proper Shipping Name
3.) UN Class number (followed by secondary/tertiary danger class number(s) in brackets, if allocated)
4.) UN Packing Group (if allocated) otherwise the ADR Transport Category number.
5.) ADR Tunnel Code (only if passage through a restricted road tunnel is intended.)

Items 1-5 above MUST be shown in that strict order (usually on one line) with no other info inserted, unless required by ADR.

Consignor and consignees addresses too, but these are required on a CMR anyway, along with number and kind of packages and weights etc.

In my experience right or wrong if pulled by police,customs,government officials usally first question is cmr?without one is asking for trouble
going out on train or boat dover-cal,dunk you won’t need to show it unless your not booked on and need to go into booking office
coming back into UK you usually have to show one to both UK&French if asked
if going out from portmouth poole newhaven and freight boats purfleet tilbury killingholme harwich etc a cmr usually needs to be shown at booking

When stopped by the Gendarmarie the first thing they ask was disc when paper charts were prevalent and CMR.It does help smooths things along with tidy written out Cmr.
If the chart of the day was in order they never went back over the last few weeks back in the 90’s.
Does anyone remember the beef ban and a driver parked up as his Cmr said beef flavour pot noodles.Douanes assumed he had beef on the load.

I’ve been asked for a CMR several times especially in France, but as we carry our own goods we don’t use CMR’s, most of the time we just say own goods and its ok, but have had difficulty trying to explain it on at least one occasion. It was Either due to a language barrier or the douane just thought we should have one. He finally seemed happy once he’d been through the paperwork and his colleague had a good look through the truck.

toby1234abc:
You will need a CMR for getting on the ferry, and when you you arrive the customs will need to check it to see what you are hauling.For booking on the ferry or train, the check in staff will need to see the CMR before they issue the tickets and boarding passes.
On random customs check points all over Europe, you can be asked for the CMR.
It will show the consignor and consignee details, the weight of the load, the destination and loading point.
Try the websites of Tachodisc Uk or the RHA and FTA for blank CMR forms.
When you reload or load, the factory will ask for a blank CMR that you , or the despatch office will fill in and stamp it and sign it.
I would advise to take some, or ask a driver on the ferry or at the port, you could photocopy some.
Do not think you can fined, but it is all the hassle of not having one.

Nonsense

I can’t remember the last time I was asked for a CMR at a UK port/train when shipping out to Euroland
Once or twice in France I think they ask as its easier for them as its an international language but I don’t think they understand them
If I have to fill one out for ADR. I just copy the wording on the DG note

You need to carry a few blanc ones, so you can fill it out if needed.
Mostly I’m given a CMR by the company loading me.
In France tho’ most places expect you to supply a blank CMR. They’ll either fill it out for you, or they put their company stamp in the appropriate places and you fill out the rest. They then sign it and take the red copy.

In places that ask me for a blank CMR, I take the ■■■■ out of their computer system. They’ll usually have 100 copies (OK, slight exaggeration there) of their delivery note, most of which have to be signed and sent off to various departments or filed. Why can’t their computer just print off 4 copies in CMR format? After all, it’s just a delivery note laid out in a specific format.

I cant remember the last time I had to show a CMR at a channel ferry port but in Belgium we used to move empty tanks from a storage depot to a railhead or to the ports, even an empty clean tank container had to have a CMR as the Belgians classed the tank as a load. Even the French were not that ■■■■

In my 10 yrs doing reg euro work cannot remember a single load i have loaded in Europe where i was not issued with or asked to provide a cmr which was then completed and the sender kept a copy it was seen as the most important doc
UK different on loading very few are interested in cmr in most cases had to make own out and customers not bothered if they got a copy or not
when pulled over 9times out of 10 first word out of there mouth is cmr when presented along with other paperwork they only seem interested in cmr so I’ve always had one out and in but would think you’d be asking for trouble without one

Wheel Nut:
I cant remember the last time I had to show a CMR at a channel ferry port but in Belgium we used to move empty tanks from a storage depot to a railhead or to the ports, even an empty clean tank container had to have a CMR as the Belgians classed the tank as a load. Even the French were not that ■■■■

Malc,

Although it pains me greatly to admit it, the Belgians are correct. :frowning:

It therefore gives me great joy to think that the French seem to have missed a trick. :grimacing:

ADR requires a Transport Document (delivery note) for an empty uncleaned tank in the same way that it does if empty uncleaned packages are to be carried.

Since a CMR must be used for international journeys and surpasses ADR Transport Document requirements, it can equally be used for the empty uncleaned tank.

:bulb: If you have some spare time, today’s lucky ADR numbers are ADR 2013 5.4.1.1.6.2.2 :smiley:

For multi-modal operations:

Since you’ve mentioned a railhead, the same requirement appears in the same subsection number of RID 2013 as it does in ADR.

Since you’ve mentioned ports, the same requirement also appears at 5.4.1.4.3.2 of the (current) 2012 IMDG Code.

You’ve brightened up my morning, cos I’m still sniggering at the French appearing to have missed a trick.
So, thanks for that :laughing: :laughing: :grimacing: :wink:

labeline.com/store_us/media/ … sm/CMR.gif