CM Downton

Got an email from a job site.

They are looking for 4on 4 off trampers over near Gloucester.
Shift is okay as the other half is on it.
Money as we all know isn’t the best but what are they like?
Are they a decent firm?
Every other truck I’ve seen recently is one of theirs.
Can get by on the pay but don’t want to leave crap for crap. .
Any info would be great.

Thanks.

Steve66:
Got an email from a job site.

They are looking for 4on 4 off trampers over near Gloucester.
Shift is okay as the other half is on it.
Money as we all know isn’t the best but what are they like?
Are they a decent firm?
Every other truck I’ve seen recently is one of theirs.
Can get by on the pay but don’t want to leave crap for crap. .
Any info would be great.

Thanks.

Don’t know, but like all jobs drivers will ■■■■■ and others will say the best job they’ve ever had…
They seem to have a regular turn over of drivers and I am to understand they have had a fair few EU nat drivers in the past a bit like most places so it could be the EU drivers moving on after having their fill.

Talking to a few of the Polish drivers in our place some have moved about ie Canada, USA, Spain etc getting different experience’s before deciding where to lay their hat.

I work foe them in Gloucester and personally, I love the job. Its the sort of firm that does have over 700 drivers nationwide, so u tend to be just a number. But in the same breath, I’d you come in, do the work and don’t mind a variety of jobs, then it can be a good job for the right person. I have seen people on here ■■■■■ and moan about them but they are a good firm and they will look after you.

The trucks are all about and services all the time and they’re constantly updating lorries and trailers. Not only that, 4on4off shift is a good shift. All I can say is give them a ring, get an assessment then go from there m8.

They took over a firm I was working for a totally ruined it out if the 100 or so drivers there was when they took over there is prob a cpl of dozen still there . If you walk around the Gloucester depot you won’t see many smiling faces and don’t start me on the foul driver toilets there

downton.co.uk/vacancies/glou … e-4on4off/

They generally seem to be advertising for all their depots all the time. From the ex drivers i talk to the hourly rate is not great but they will max you out so then the pay packet looks good. The Gloucester depot is only a few hundred yards from where i work and their units are all pretty good and lots of new ones.

I see the 4 on 4 off shift is not hourly pay, but then they pay £10.50 an hour if you work extra days. I suppose if you did that it would defeat the logic of a 4 on 4 off shift.

I too work for them, and tend to echo what stonehouse says.

The pluses are that the kit is kept up together, and are clean, the work is varied / easy, and very little pressure from the office as long as you get the job done, and communicate if you’re going to be late. Personally I have always found the office staff to be friendly, but then I guess I speak to them how I expect to be spoken to which to me is an important part of the job.

As you have already said the negatives are the pay not being the best, but in the Gloucester area we don’t have much choice, and as a day driver I find the hours to be a bit long, though obviously as a tramper that wouldn’t be such an issue. However the one gripe I occasionally hear from the trampers is that they are salaried based on 12 hour shifts, but are found to end up working many 15’s so slightly lose out, not sure how often that happens.

If you are on 4 on 4 off tramping,do you do a lot of “cab hopping”?
Cant imagine much tramping being done in 4 days :neutral_face:

I seem to remember talking to one of the 4on 4off lads from glous in the yard and he was far from happy the pay was something like £103 per shift plus n/o and if your rostered on a sun or bank holl that’s still all you get and you will max your hours. He looked like he was going to cry when told what the 4on 4off guys got at Chatham

Thanks for your input fellas.
I am currently multi dropping in an artic and was just wondering what Downton was like.
From the response I’d say they seem okay.
I will give them a call.
My other half is on a four on four off and if a shift on there could coincide with hers then happy days.
She loves it.
I’ll give it a try.
Thanks again :smiley:

They won’t respect your 4th day we often had them in aylesford loading for somewhere but not towards home at 5pm on there 4th day

chester1:
They won’t respect your 4th day we often had them in aylesford loading for somewhere but towards home at 5pm on there 4th day

I don’t suppose they would to be honest.
I work Mon to Fri and usually get shafted big time on the Friday.

Steve66:

I didn’t know you were a choir boy?

Muckaway:

Steve66:

I didn’t know you were a choir boy?

■■■■■■ Head

Well, the transport manager is a nightmare to get hold of.
Could anyone who works there, preferably from Gloucester, pm me please?

Thanks.

Just ask for Recruitment…

Darkside:
You need to speak to Ruairi Spencer not the transport manager.

That’s who I have been calling.
Trying the best time to call.
Tried every day last week.

Darkside:
You need to speak to Ruairi Spencer not the transport manager.

That who I have been calling.
Trying to find out the best time to call.
Tried every day last week and it was just voice mail.

I think that’d set the panic alarm going for me, mate. Certainly not a way to promote themselves to potential recruits.

£415 might look okay for four days work, but when that’s followed by four days off it means it’s per eight day cycle. That equates to only £18,900 basic pay annually.

That’s what I was getting at above, you will soon be doing 5 days.