clutch/judder

truck as started to judder when pulling away, similar to being in the wrong gear, got it booked in tomorrow but just interested what could cause this, worn clutch??

DRIVER ABUSE!!!

Sorry, I just wanted to say it before your boss gets in there first. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Can be all sorts of things mate, warped plates, contamination of the friction material, propshaft Hardy Spicers worn, Prop bushes on the way out etc etc etc.

Could be. If you rest your foot gently on the clutch pedal (*) can you feel it “pulsing”?

(*) Assuming it’s manual.

could be the thrust bearings or broken spring in the pressure plate would be my guess

Yea broken pressure plate spring would get my vote.

Harry Monk:

or rear crank seal letting oil onto plate. Check for oil under bellhousing

Wheel Nut:

Harry Monk:

or rear crank seal letting oil onto plate. Check for oil under bellhousing

Shudder

Just a quess dl1uk you driving a merc auto,had same prob recently clutch pack knackerd

Spooky timing, this thread. The Volvo’s going into the garage next week for this very reason. !st clutch gave out around february. :frowning:
It was replaced by my fitter with a genuine part. At the time i had a driver on it, who said it was juddering when pulling away. He was told it needed to “bed in”.

I had to let the driver go as work was so ■■■■■■■ bad and my mrs is on the mend now, allowing me to drive again.
Anyway, after about a month of driving it again myself I had it looked at by another garage in Fxt who reckoned he’d put the plate in back to front and duly fitted a 3rd clutch, on the friday before easter.

It has started to do exactly the same in the last week or so and today i got the garage to road test it with a load behind it and they agree, all’s not as it should be.

It’s booked in on weds night to diagnose and repair. Clutch no4■■?

Keep you posted.

Ours have an average of 4 clutches in 5 years, some replaced before 150,000 Ks.

When pulling off with a modern truck your right foot should be off the gas until your left foot is off the clutch 1st gear loaded 3rd empty your natural method is to apply a little gas as you lift the clutch pedal not so 2000+Nm of torque will destroy a clutch in no time. The DAF’s if remember with the big engine cut the power until the clutch pedal is fully raised, good idea.

In a nutshell the driver is to blame, regardless of the fact it may have had several drivers prior to yourself. :frowning: :frowning:

the auto mercs seem to warp plates at a rate of knots

Mine did well at c.920k, on it’s first one then!

Goaty:
Mine did well at c.920k, on it’s first one then!

Extremely well, regardless of what work you do.