Clothes & Diesel

Hi Folks

I’m having problems with diesel at the moment, and specifically with clothes.

Apart from binning them and buying another pair (or getting work to buy me another pair) what can you professionals :sunglasses: suggest to clean them up?

Was helping to refuel a truck after replacing a fuel tank and half the funnel’s worth of diesel went down my trousers :blush: :unamused: No, lower than that. Below the knees. The problem is that I’ve put it through the wash a few times but they’re not shifting :frowning: Mind you, the the water after the first soak came out a black colour!!! :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :confused:

Oh, and they still stink of diesel :frowning:

Now I could bin the offending trousers and just go and spend another £15 on more but I’d like to clean these if I can…

And another thing. Protection, especially about working around diesel and muck? Just a pair of waterproof trousers would you say? I often have to kneel down or crouch down near that mucky stuff they call the ground round here…

Cheers :wink:

try ace bleach m8, :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Vanish Oxy Action Gel (try spelling that after a bottle of wine :grimacing:). Removed fifth wheel grease, so it should assult diesel (LadyT’s going to have another fit :grimacing:.)

Liberace:
(LadyT’s going to have another fit :grimacing:.)

I was just thinking the same thing Lib. :wink: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

By the time you have bought and tried all the various potions and lotions you would be cheaper binning them and buying a new pair. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I was given a tip for fifth wheel grease yesterday from a chap who had done what thankfully I haven’t as yet and that was to put it all over his car seat.

Not having anything else to hand he tried turps and he said it just lifted straight off.

I thought stinking of diesel was part of the job! :wink:

Forget it dude, chuck them in the trash. I haul gas and diesel throughtout Arizona and I have had a bath in both products many times. The easiest way to get the diesel gone, it to buy new. It NEVER comes out, doesn’t matter how many times you put them in the wash, it just ends up stinking up the machine and the other clothes you put in there afterwards.

Sorry m8

Stu

BE very careful getting diesel on your trousers if it seeps through and gets on your “John Thomas” it is very painful.

Having never used ■■■■■■ i would imagine diesel has a similar effect but only a lot more painful!!!..

OUCH!!

jammymutt:
BE very careful getting diesel on your trousers if it seeps through and gets on your “John Thomas” it is very painful.

Having never used ■■■■■■ i would imagine diesel has a similar effect but only a lot more painful!!!..OUCH!!

During my Hazmat Supervizors Course ( :open_mouth: ) last year the subject of diesel and ‘John Thomas’ was brought up. So many students were shocked about the risks they became ‘hand-washing obsessives’ :exclamation: :unamused: :laughing:

Basically, diesel is carciogenic and, for example, filling up the truck and then going to the loo without washing your hands before getting hold of ‘the old fella’ can be one of the causes of cancer!

The following is a quote from here. Plenty of info is available via your search engine although your employer should be highlighting these issues.

Carcinogens are agents that can cause cancer. In industry, there are many potential exposures to carcinogens. Generally, workplace exposures are considered to be at higher levels than for public exposures.

It takes a while to become habit but the best idea is to wash your hands both before and after visiting the toilet, definately when in and around diesel. Since that course i have started to notice how many people don’t even wash their hands at all when visiting the toilet!! :imp:

Sorry ladies, I don’t know where you fit into this equation; the only female on the course was gone before the end of the first week (4 week course).

Not sure about diesel but the best thing by far for cleaning fifth wheel grease or oil from clothes, cab seat and upholstery is Stop Quick Brake Cleaner by Deb. Available from most workshop store rooms. This really is the dogs [zb]. Just watch the grease/oil dissolve in front of your own very eyes. :laughing:

marcustandy:

jammymutt:
BE very careful getting diesel on your trousers if it seeps through and gets on your “John Thomas” it is very painful. /quote]

During my Hazmat Supervizors Course ( :open_mouth: ) last year the subject of diesel and ‘John Thomas’ was brought up. So many students were shocked about the risks they became ‘hand-washing obsessives’ :exclamation: :unamused: :laughing:

Basically, diesel is carciogenic and, for example, filling up the truck and then going to the loo without washing your hands before getting hold of ‘the old fella’ can be one of the causes of cancer!

Normally when refueling the truck I always wear my gloves, for the easy reason I don’t want to get so much of the diesel over my hands and then subsequently all of the equipment of mine I touch (ie unloading gear from truck).

I think I was even wearing gloves in the original incident :frowning:

They’ve been through the Oxy wotsit wash already, and a long soak and they still stink :frowning: as well as the stain still being there :frowning: :frowning:

Looks like they might get binned :frowning:

Thanks for all your advice and help, especially the carciogenic help! :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

TNT Trucker:
Not sure about diesel but the best thing by far for cleaning fifth wheel grease or oil from clothes, cab seat and upholstery is Stop Quick Brake Cleaner by Deb. Available from most workshop store rooms. This really is the dogs [zb]. Just watch the grease/oil dissolve in front of your own very eyes. :laughing:

Ooh, that might the the last option… Now I’ve managed to get a day off without nothing planned :slight_smile:

Cheers :smiley:

smeserver:
was helping to refuel a truck after replacing a fuel tank and half the funnel’s worth of diesel went down my trousers :blush: :unamused: No, lower than that. Below the knees

Simple really juist cut the legs off above the knees et voila a perfectly servicable pair of shorts :laughing:

On the day I picked my Volvo up, I shot off to the nearest Truckstop to fill 'er up, not being used to the position of the filler caps and their proximity to the top of the sideskirts, I rested the fuel nozzle just inside the lip of the fill hole on my right tank (I had secured the other side as it is the side I could’nt monitor continuously), walking back around the front of the truck after checking the otherside I was greeted with the fuel nozzle flying out of the right tank still gushing diesel whilst for several seconds it did the snake movements that snake charmers get from the Cobra coming out of the basket, except this snake was on speed or something, I swear it danced as it aimed several gallons of diesel at me, bloody thing soaked me head to toe before I could grab it! :blush: it also soaked the whole side of truck, the inside of the drivers door (won’t ever leave that open again when I fill 'er up). apart from the acute embarrassment, ( as usual when the last thing you want is an audience, you look up and see about half a dozen drivers doing their best and not so best to disguise the fact they are ■■■■■■■ themselves! :blush: ) I had to drive home soaked through (did’nt have a change of clothes…did’nt think I needed them to buy a truck! :unamused: ) I get home, 'er indoors has a wobbly as I walk through the garage and made me strip off in the garage ( so I quite inderstandably) close the doors) 'er indoors then thinks it hilarious to hit the garage door opener just as I had my skivies round my ankles :blush: ( sorry neighbours :blush: ) It took about 7-8 washes just to get the smell of diesel down to a more tolerable level, it was another 4-5 washes before it finally dissapeared.
Don’t know if the info on washing helps in any way, but I’m sure someone out there will think it funny how yours truly came to find out how many washes it takes to get diesel soaked clothes wearable again :laughing:

Cliff Warby:
'er indoors then thinks it hilarious to hit the garage door opener just as I had my skivies round my ankles :blush:

:laughing: Excellent sense of humour!! :laughing:

And so it happens AGAIN! there I am looking for Tnet and I stumble into the Womens [zb]ing Institute, tune in later to hear how to get your sponge cakes so light and fluffy! :open_mouth: :wink: :unamused:

Ladytrucker679:
And so it happens AGAIN! there I am looking for Tnet and I stumble into the Womens [zb]ing Institute, tune in later to hear how to get your sponge cakes so light and fluffy! :open_mouth: :wink: :unamused:

What time will you posting that then lady? I have been having terrible trouble with mine for ages and could use some advice. :stuck_out_tongue: :smiling_imp: :stuck_out_tongue:

smcaul:

Ladytrucker679:

What time will you posting that then lady? I have been having terrible trouble with mine for ages and could use some advice. :stuck_out_tongue: :smiling_imp: :stuck_out_tongue:

I find if you sift the flour through a sieve they come out a treat :wink:

A vigorous beating motion usually assist with rising.

Always fold the ingredience in never stir you will knock the air out! :sunglasses: