Closed lane/red X camera

Between J19 and 18 M6 last night lane 1 and 2 had red X due to roadworks ahead. Speed limit at 40. I was doing 40 and the car in the closed lane was slightly slower than me so it wasn’t a speed camera flash, but a camera definitely flashed can only assume it was to get the driver in the closed lane. Just a warning for everyone if that’s what it was on that new section of M6.

Been threatening to do it for a while maybe now they’re starting to enforce it, always plenty of warning beforehand when lanes are closed but there’s always one who ignores it

Had at least 1 letter into our transport office, for guidance rather than a NIP, which was put up on a notice board.had the reg number in it so the driver could be identified.

A few internal memos gone up gone up since with the expected huff & puff about the law, & diciplinary action.

£100 fine and 3 points for driving past a red X, they’ve been warning about this for some time.

It makes you wonder how we ever managed before motorways had gantries full of over regulation bs like variable limits and what are effectively traffic lights requiring traffic to stop at any random arbitrary point.All that with the chance of being caught for hours between junctions in a massive tail back for whatever reason.What’s to like compared to the days when the object of motorways was all about moving traffic as fast as possible over long distances and when non motorway routes are often now a more viable,more sensible,default choice.

I have noticed more cars driving in the hard shoulder on sections where it’s regularly a ‘live’ lane driving past numerous signs saying “Hard shoulder for emergency use only”. Not under taking people just not paying attention.

I’ve had it this very morning from one of Stobart’s finest. Lane 1 closed, red cross on gantry so we all move into lane 2. Not Stobart, he undertakes the lot of us at 40mph.
By the time he gets to me we’re just about past the obstruction and moving again. Still, another gantry says otherwise but I start getting the finger, coffee beans etc. I can’t speed up, I’m on the limiter, he can’t get all the way past me on my near side because of other vehicles. He eventually gives up, let’s me back in and comes round me giving me more abuse, invites to settle it like men etc.
He clearly went past a gantry under a red cross, there were no cameras sadly so he’ll not be hearing anything. Shakes head in disbelief.

sent using smoke signals

It is about time they got enforced properly, but the question remains “Do they enforce it on any overseas vehicle” I wonder?

No doubt the Anti Brexit argument will be made sooner or later “If we leave the EU, we won’t be able to fine foreigners here any longer” as if they fined them in the first place. :unamused: :unamused:

Winseer:
It is about time they got enforced properly, but the question remains “Do they enforce it on any overseas vehicle” I wonder?

No doubt the Anti Brexit argument will be made sooner or later “If we leave the EU, we won’t be able to fine foreigners here any longer” as if they fined them in the first place. :unamused: :unamused:

Not tested it out with a red lane sign but no we don’t get speeding tickets from speed cameras so no reason to suggest this would be any different

It’s right though. This car was sat there dawdling along in a closed lane heading towards where human being are stood putting cones out. And yes there was ample warning. There was at least 4 gantries and of other signs with arrows in before the ones saying the lane is now shut with a red x. And this car has ignored them all.

Carryfast:
What’s to like compared to the days when the object of motorways was all about moving traffic as fast as possible over long distances and when non motorway routes are often now a more viable,more sensible,default choice.

You mean the days where traffic would be stop start all day around Birmingham, M62 J27 etc etc whereas at least today its now moving pretty much all the time? M1 between Sheffield and M42 is infinitely better than it used to be.

Not sure how broken those rose tinted glasses are but they’re certainly broken.

Conor:

Carryfast:
What’s to like compared to the days when the object of motorways was all about moving traffic as fast as possible over long distances and when non motorway routes are often now a more viable,more sensible,default choice.

You mean the days where traffic would be stop start all day around Birmingham, M62 J27 etc etc whereas at least today its now moving pretty much all the time? M1 between Sheffield and M42 is infinitely better than it used to be.

Not sure how broken those rose tinted glasses are but they’re certainly broken.

And that’s from a real expert who thinks he knows what he’s talking about and knows everything you should listen to him

Juddian:
£100 fine and 3 points for driving past a red X, they’ve been warning about this for some time.

Apparently now law come 10th June - police allowed to use camera for fines and 3pts, prior to this they had to catch you in lane . Now no need

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comes in next Monday so could have been testing.
According to the link below, only a police officer could only prosecute you, was there not a thread on here a few months ago where someone was taken to court on the say so of a Highways England staff member?

autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/ … -from-june

I think it needs to be viewed as quite a serious traffic offence to get people to pay attention to it when you may have a car stopped in lane 1 and that’s the reason for the closure and you’ve got drivers oblivious to the x or just ignoring it because the lane “looks” open. Unfortunately to get people to actually obey things on the road they have to be hit where it hurts with money and points.

Rowley010:
I think it needs to be viewed as quite a serious traffic offence to get people to pay attention to it when you may have a car stopped in lane 1 and that’s the reason for the closure and you’ve got drivers oblivious to the x or just ignoring it because the lane “looks” open. Unfortunately to get people to actually obey things on the road they have to be hit where it hurts with money and points.

All well and good but lets just look at last nights ridiculous scenario at Junction 12 of the M6 at 10pm.

Three lanes of the four lanes conned off 100 yards after the off slip at Junction 12 Southbound…
Three red X’s at the 300 yard marker for Junction 12 over lanes 123.
Yet the constant stream of traffic coming off for the A5 had no other option but to use lane 1 to get off on to the slip road thus making a mockery of your statement above.

moomooland:

Rowley010:

All well and good but lets just look at last nights ridiculous scenario at Junction 12 of the M6 at 10pm.

Three lanes of the four lanes conned off 100 yards after the off slip at Junction 12 Southbound…
Three red X’s at the 300 yard marker for Junction 12 over lanes 123.
Yet the constant stream of traffic coming off for the A5 had no other option but to use lane 1 to get off on to the slip road thus making a mockery of your statement above.

Agree yeah it was like that there night before as well. Had to drive in a red x lane to leave at junction 12. I don’t know what the answer to that one is. Write “except for J12” on the sign as well? :laughing:

When they were doing the J16 M6 upgrades, they created a slip road with the cones straight off the junction thus avoiding the X’s. Would seem more sensible than effectively forcing people to either go under an X or stop in live lane.

Regarding going under the X’s without reason, see it regularly at night. Had one last night where 2 lanes shut, everyone (even Hermes) was in right lanes since there were warning signs for 2 miles, and still idiot in Micra took it right to the sign, and where the cones guys were laying out.

dcgpx:

Juddian:

Apparently now law come 10th June - police allowed to use camera for fines and 3pts, prior to this they had to catch you in lane . Now no need

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wonder if that gantry camera between 5 & 6 on the M25 - will be going off like a strobe light but with teeth now?

I only saw it zap a speeding cop car the other night. When the gantries are displaying '50s - every vehicle passing - seems to be setting them off, including trucks on their limiter, which goes to show how sensitive these gantry cameras ARE these days huh? :open_mouth:

Came up A2 last week, was in lane 1, came round a bend and 3 red X’s on gantry, only lane 4 open. Quite a bit of traffic coming up behind so could only get to lane 3 before going under gantry. Roadworks signs were set up after the gantry, nothing before.