Clocks going back an hour tonight

Do i need to do anything magic with the tacho if so do i need to do it at the start of my shift (21:00) or when they change or tomorrow morning.

Tacho records in UTC all year round and doesn’t matter what you change the local time to.

The tacho itself is set to record everything in UTC. Universal Time Coordinated. That is the same as GMT or “normal” UK time, not adjusted for summer.
You cannot adjust that. (except by one minute a week I think, to correct discrepancies)
Best to leave alone unless you know what you`re doing.

You can adjust the “Local Time” display.
This will have no effect at all on what is recorded, remember it is all recorded in UTC.

Up to you how/when you change the display, it won`t affect the tacho itself.

Wot Franglais said.

If I was working nights I’d aim to change it at some convenient point around 2am, purely to keep my brain in sync with the time(s) shown on the various dash displays.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

If you’re on shift through the night, I’d just leave it, then you know easy what time you need to be finished by within 13 / 15.

You can change it at the end so it’s ready for the next shift if you want, makes no difference if you do it with your card in or out.

If you’re not on shift through the night then just be aware on a tacho made after October 2011 then you do the manual entry in the local time, so you’ll enter either the previous shift finish time or the starting shift starting time 1 hour out depending on when you change the local time

You can do it whenever you like really.

You go to ‘vehicle entry’ in the main menu and choose the option from there. I believe you can change it in increments of 30 minutes or something like that.

Makes absolutely no difference to what is recorded in terms of UTC.

If you don’t do anything, you will probably find another driver eventually changes it.

stevieboy308:
If you’re on shift through the night, I’d just leave it, then you know easy what time you need to be finished by within 13 / 15.

You can change it at the end so it’s ready for the next shift if you want, makes no difference if you do it with your card in or out.

If you’re not on shift through the night then just be aware on a tacho made after October 2011 then you do the manual entry in the local time, so you’ll enter either the previous shift finish time or the starting shift starting time 1 hour out depending on when you change the local time

sorry to be thick

I am starting tonight at 9pm they like us to do 12 hours so i will be planned to finish around 9am (will be 8 am with the time change) So tomorrow night when i start again i take it i will record my daily rest from 8 am till 9 pm that night??

cooper1203:

stevieboy308:

sorry to be thick

I am starting tonight at 9pm they like us to do 12 hours so i will be planned to finish around 9am (will be 8 am with the time change) So tomorrow night when i start again i take it i will record my daily rest from 8 am till 9 pm that night??

There are two times on a tacho.

1 - The local time now (there’ll be a dot next to the time on the display if it’s displaying local time). You can change this time via the menus.

2 - UTC or Universal Time Coordinated. This is a standard time system used by many industries. For instance airplanes all run on UTC. Your tacho records everything in UTC but will give an option to show local time on printouts.

In the summer, British summer time is one hour ahead of GMT. GMT is the same as UTC.

So when you put your card in tonight at 9pm BST, behind the scenes on the tacho its actually 8pm UTC anyway. So when you finish at 8am in the morning this will be 8am UTC due to the time change.

Remember its only local time that changes, UTC doesn’t change at any point of the year.

cooper1203:
[) So tomorrow night when i start again i take it i will record my daily rest from 8 am till 9 pm that night??

Just go by whatever time the tacho says that you removed your card.
If it says 7:55 then manual entry work until 8:00 and rest until whenever. If it says 8:55 then manual entry work until 9:00 and rest until whenever in BST. You can carry on using BST forever, if no one adjusts your tacho.

Ah the good old days of analogue, simply open the head and roll the wheel on the unit until it was near enough!

I do recall back then there was far more putting the clocks forward than backwards :smiley:. In fact when the digi cards came in in the 2000’s I seem to recall that I was already on 2013’s cards :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

As has already been said, all digital tachos record activity in UTC which you can adjust by one minute per week from the last adjustment. I would not recommend adjusting UTC with your driver card in. Do the adjustment before you insert your card or after you take it out.
Local time may be adjusted at any time in half hour blocks from UTC at any time. Doesn’t matter if card is in or out as all you’re doing is changing the time displayed on the tacho.
BUT HERE’S THE ISSUE. When you do a manual entry to cover activities performed when your card wasn’t in the tacho, if there is a local time offset then the instrument uses this to calculate the UTC for the activity. It is possible to record too little rest of the local time setting is incorrect. So just make sure that before you next insert your card after BST has finished the tacho is not set for a local time.
Some will tell you that manual entries aren’t required. For the last couple of years it has been a legal requirement to manually record daily and weekly rest even if you have no work or poa to record in that period.

cooper1203:
Do i need to do anything magic with the tacho if so do i need to do it at the start of my shift (21:00) or when they change or tomorrow morning.

Just let the agency drivers change it, that’s how it seems to go in most of the units where I am. If it’s not showing the correct local time when you start your shift do it then.

Oh ■■■■ …another reminder that summer is over,.I hate this time of year,.dark at 5pm :smiling_imp: …why tf can they not just leave the clocks alone.
On my job if I see I’ve got some remote farm in the outback,.I just abandon the job at 4 30pm ,.and wait to next morning for daylight.

Just dawned on me I’m gonna have to dig out my long kecks soon,.I’ve wore shorts since March. :unamused:
Bloody UK seasons. :unamused:

Anyhoo I’ve left a note today for my mate who shares my motor , to remember to put the clock back.
He knows too well I cba with trying to suss out all that electronic based cack myself,.and he is into all that.
I have a very low boredom threshold with stuff like that,.usually ending up abandoning it all after minute and a half with two words,.the second one being…‘‘IT’’. :laughing:

mrginge:
Tacho records in UTC all year round and doesn’t matter what you change the local time to.

This. Who cares lol

robroy:
Oh [zb] …another reminder that summer is over,.I hate this time of year,.dark at 5pm :smiling_imp: …why tf can they not just leave the clocks alone.
On my job if I see I’ve got some remote farm in the outback,.I just abandon the job at 4 30pm ,.and wait to next morning for daylight.

Just dawned on me I’m gonna have to dig out my long kecks soon,.I’ve wore shorts since March. :unamused:
Bloody UK seasons. :unamused:

Anyhoo I’ve left a note today for my mate who shares my motor , to remember to put the clock back.
He knows too well I cba with trying to suss out all that electronic based cack myself,.and he is into all that.
I have a very low boredom threshold with stuff like that,.usually ending up abandoning it all after minute and a half with two words,.the second one being…‘‘IT’’. :laughing:

If you remember we tried using BST through the winter in the 1970’s.
Predictably it didn’t work.The mornings were stupidly dark especially further North in Scotland.
Truth is winter daylight hours are brutal this far North and only gets worse the further North you go.Its the price we pay for those long Summer days and short Summer nights.

the maoster:
Ah the good old days of analogue…[snip]…I do recall back then there was far more putting the clocks forward than backwards :smiley:. In fact when the digi cards came in in the 2000’s I seem to recall that I was already on 2013’s cards :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Sshhhhhh!!! #MeToo

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: