Cleveland bridge bath

Headed into bath and eventually came to this bridge with a weight restriction of 18t i was 26t . I had no option but to cross as i had nowhere else to go .
Never been down this road before so i had no idea where the bridge was .
I see there were anpr cameras also on bridge .
Anyone been prosecuted for driving over it ?

Simply yes. I’m surprised you even need to ask the question the Anpr cameras are there for that exact reason.

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

Would you go under a bridge marked lower than the height of your vehicle because you had no option?

There is always an option. A circle sign with a red border says you MUST not. It is prohibiting you from carrying on in your course of action.

Or choose to carry on and face the consequences.

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

Just found this so fingers crossed
————————————————————-
The Police and Trading Standards have the power to enforce weight restrictions, however there is no statutory duty to take enforcement action and they may not have the resource to do so.

It is a criminal offence to contravene a TRO [section 5 of the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984].

A person guilty of an offence is liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding level 3 on the standard scale (£1,000) [Road Traffic Offenders Act 1988, sections 9 & 33(1), and Schedule 2, Part I].

It is also subject to the fixed penalty regime [Road Traffic Offenders Act 1988 , section 51, and Schedule 3].

Generally, enforcement is by the police, though there are a small number of local areas where the police enforce alongside local Trading Standards. Trading Standards are generally unable to enforce effectively alone because, unlike the police, they cannot stop vehicles, get instant replies from DVLA on owner details, or issue on the spot fines (fixed penalties).

However, enforcement can involve the use of ANPR (automatic number plate recognition) cameras, vehicle stops and checks and working with local companies and drivers to educate them on permitted routes.

I’m like a fish out of water any further south than Middlesbrough, so wouldn’t know. There were probably small signs further back.

You will just have to take the punishment and work out a better way next time.

Assuming you were coming along the a4 with the fire station on the other side of the bridge and you couldn’t get in the parking on the left before the bridge and you weren’t going to access zone N what ever that is then its a tough spot to be in. One of the reasons i hate London with a passion. Only sign i can see with a weight limit on it you have no viable exits after. All you could of done is get a friendly pedestrian to block the road while you turned round.

cooper1203:
Assuming you were coming along the a4 with the fire station on the other side of the bridge and you couldn’t get in the parking on the left before the bridge and you weren’t going to access zone N what ever that is then its a tough spot to be in. One of the reasons i hate London with a passion. Only sign i can see with a weight limit on it you have no viable exits after. All you could of done is get a friendly pedestrian to block the road while you turned round.

And good luck doing a 53 point turn in that road with a 3 axle rig :cry:

Socketset:

cooper1203:

nose in side street reverse out your now facing the other way or even reverse into side street and drive out in opposite direction plus both sides of the bridge have wide parking bays or a large apron in front of the fire station

mickkk:
Headed into bath and eventually came to this bridge with a weight restriction of 18t i was 26t . I had no option but to cross as i had nowhere else to go .

Its odd you didn’t see any of the yellow warning signs, that are on all roads leading into Bath, there is ample warning and if you were unsure of where the bridge is, there are laybys before Bath so you could consult google maps, before getting anywhere near the bridge!!

There are a hell of a lot of signs from every possible direction concerning that bridge tbf mate.
It’s been prohibited for a couple of years now,.I used to use it quite regular prior to that.

You’ll just have to hope for the best,.I went over one about 18 months ago with cameras at Weston Super Mare, never heard anything more about it, so you may be lucky.

Unfortunately with that bridge you are guaranteed a ticket, it’s old and weak and they really don’t want heavies over it, hence all the signs on every approach

Last time I went that way all the yellow signs had been removed

cooper1203:

Socketset:

cooper1203:

nose in side street reverse out your now facing the other way or even reverse into side street and drive out in opposite direction plus both sides of the bridge have wide parking bays or a large apron in front of the fire station

Yes, of course - but what about clearing the road first of all the jeering and unhelpful car drivers - good luck with that. Fire brigade would take a dim view of using their apron for hgv shunting purposes.

Haven’t they finished the repairs yet on the bridge.

fingermissing:

No hurry- the restrictions only affect lorries :frowning:

Beau Nydel:

fingermissing:

No hurry- the restrictions only affect lorries :frowning:

So is the ban (officially) temporary?
(I know the bridge repair is just an excuse to ban trucks btw…if at all it even needs ‘repair’, …those toffee nosed ■■■■ s have wanted a Bath truck ban for years.)

mickkk:

You will be nicked for that