Clear up this Trailer Question

Can you’s all on here settle a question that’s bugging me…

I drive a 7.5ton ‘puddle jumper’, and on a regular basis pull a tri-axle trailer rated to 3.5 tons. My train weight then comes to ‘i think’ 11000kgs. (Can’t remember exactly this late at night).

I passed my car test before Jan ‘97, so have the trailer entitlement. TM says I do not come under C+E, (under a certain weight and length he says). But, I’ve been for an interview for a possible new job, and they know how my co’ works. They have said, I should have C+E when pulling that trailer.

Please could someone give me a straight answer (again)!!! I’m sick of treat like a mushroom!!! (in dark, fed on>>>>)

Had someone say ‘he must be a mason for what he gets away with’!!! :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

i belive that if you passed before 1997 the max weight towing is 8.25tonnes

direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/Dr … G_10013074

Subcategory C1+E: Medium sized goods vehicles 3.5 - 7.5 tonnes MAM plus trailer over 750kgs MAM
Subcategory C1+E allows vehicles to be combined with a trailer over 750kgs MAM provided the combination does not exceed 12 tonnes MAM and the laden weight of the trailer does not exceed the unladen weight of the towing vehicle.

In order to gain this entitlement category B licence holders have to pass further tests - subcategory C1 (theory and practical) followed by C1+E practical. There is no subcategory C1+E theory test. It will not be possible to go directly from category B to subcategory C1+E.

Because EC regulations limit drivers aged under 21 years to driving vehicles or combinations which weigh no more than 7.5 tonnes MAM, drivers under the age of 21 are not allowed to drive subcategory C1+E vehicles up to 12 tonnes MAM. But 18 year old drivers are allowed to take a test for subcategory C1+E which will allow trailers in excess of 750kgs MAM to be towed. Entitlement is limited to a combination weight of 7.5 tonnes MAM until the driver reaches 21 years, at which time the balance of 12 tonnes MAM entitlement automatically becomes effective.

i THINK you can only pull a trailer upto 750kgs with normal car licence, look on your licence im sure it tells you

yorkshireborn:
i THINK you can only pull a trailer upto 750kgs with normal car licence, look on your licence im sure it tells you

All drivers who passed a car test before 1 January 1997 retain their existing entitlement to tow trailers until their licence expires. This means they are generally entitled to drive a vehicle and trailer combination up to 8.25 tonnes MAM. They also have entitlement to drive a minibus with a trailer over 750kgs MAM

at which time the balance of 12 tonnes MAM entitlement automatically becomes effective.

Was sure it was 12 tonnes. the 750 kg is without the +E part on your car licence

Goldfinger:
I drive a 7.5ton ‘puddle jumper’, and on a regular basis pull a tri-axle trailer rated to 3.5 tons.

I passed my car test before Jan '97, so have the trailer entitlement.

If you don’t have a CE then your C1E will be restricted (as said above) so the largest trailer you ca n tow will be 750 kgs.

sorry to hijack the post a little but if you are 21 with a normal car licence does that mean you cant tow your mate home when his car is broke down ■■?

not on about me i am 26 and aging with c+e

Check your driving licence, if has a restriction code (can’t remember which number) next to the C1E look it up and it’ll probably be 8250kg GTW. This seems to be the case for everyone with a photocard, including drivers with full CE as the CE will cover it. However once the CE expires you drop back to 8250kg. When I had a paper licence I had a C1E that would let me use it at 12000kg (IIRC).

So basically check your licence, if it’s a photocard with the 8250kg restriction then you shouldn’t be pulling it unless you take a C1E test. Or a CE test if you already have cat C. But it will say somewhere on your licence.

You need Category C1 +E on your licence. Get your licence out and have a look.

Goldfinger:
I drive a 7.5ton ‘puddle jumper’, and on a regular basis pull a tri-axle trailer rated to 3.5 tons. … I passed my car test before Jan '97

WARNING - If you have not passed either a C1+E or C+E DSA test then you are driving ILLEGALLY

The driving licence you need to tow a caravan or trailer

Car licences held before 1 January 1997
All drivers who passed a car test before 1 January 1997 retain their existing entitlement to tow trailers until their licence expires. This means they are generally entitled to drive a vehicle and trailer combination up to 8.25 tonnes MAM. They also have entitlement to drive a minibus with a trailer over 750kgs MAM.

Drivers who hold subcategory C1+E - limited to 8.25 tonnes MAM, may apply for provisional entitlement to the new subcategory C1+E, in order to take and pass the test which will increase their combined vehicle and trailer entitlement to 12 tonnes MAM. It is not necessary to gain subcategory C1 entitlement first but drivers have to meet higher medical standards, and pass both the category C theory test and the subcategory C1+E practical test.

Those with C1+E 107 -
5 tonne vehicle towing 3 tonne trailer LEGAL
7.5 tonne vehicle towing 1 tonne trailer NOT LEGAL

I’m 35 and I have C1+E / 107 on my licence, passed on 16/01/1995. Guess i’ve been driving ILLEGAL!!! since day 1!!! :imp: :imp: :open_mouth: FFS!

Goldfinger:
I’m 35 and I have C1+E / 107 on my licence, passed on 16/01/1995. Guess i’ve been driving ILLEGAL!!! since day 1!!! :imp: :imp: :open_mouth: FFS!

Many with the very old paper licence have been caught out doing this as the restrictions were explained in a seperate white attatchment which most lost.

I’ve been for an interview for a possible new job, and they know how my co’ works. They have said, I should have C+E when pulling that trailer

They have gone in the other direction by stating you should have a higher licence then what is needed.
You need a no-restriction C1+E not a C+E for a 7.5 with a trailer over 750kgs

Looks like I’m restricted, code 107, what ever that means, (I’ve looked and lost the leaflet) :blush: .

Anyway, on a lighter note… I got that job!! :laughing: :laughing: No more trailer work with these :smiley:

Goldfinger:
Anyway, on a lighter note… I got that job!! :laughing: :laughing: No more trailer work with these :smiley:

Glad to hear it :smiley:

Sounds like a typical DVLA bollox up then if someone has had an old paper licence that clearly stated one thing but they have ince changed the rules but not issued new licences. Or am I getting mucking fuddled.

Goldfinger:
Looks like I’m restricted, code 107, what ever that means, (I’ve looked and lost the leaflet) :blush: .

107 Not more than 8250kg

From here: http://www.licencecheck.co.uk/restriction_codes.php