Cleaning hi viz jacket

tried a search, and failed

so

have stuck it through the washer, and tried some of that ‘vanish’ stuff, but with lots of trailer changes, and generally being a clumsy sod, jacket tends to attract the grease and dirt.

anyone stumbled across owt that does the job.■■

Rub swarfega or similar on the really dirty bits, rinse with cold water, then chuck in the washing machine.

If you’ve got baby wipes handy, wipe off as soon as dirt/grease gets on the jacket, this’ll save it bedding in.

I use Swarfega Oil and Grease Remover.

In the garden, or the garage, on a flat surface, apply neat to heavily soiled areas and then rub in with a good old fashioned scrubbing brush.

Then into a bucket of hot water overnight, and then into the washing machine.

It comes up a treat. :slight_smile:

Although, when I use this method on my quilted jacket, it does tend to ‘whiff’ a bit for a couple of days afterwards, but it’s not a too unpleasant smell.

Kate:
Rub swarfega or similar on the really dirty bits, rinse with cold water, then chuck in the washing machine.

If you’ve got baby wipes handy, wipe off as soon as dirt/grease gets on the jacket, this’ll save it bedding in.

I thought that removed the waterproof coating on them or have they improved :question:

Thanks folks, will try the swarfega tomorrow (off thursday, so chance for it to dry)

ROG:

Kate:

I thought that removed the waterproof coating on them or have they improved :question:

They must have improved Rog, as I have two hiViz coats which I clean like that, and they still keep the water out.
Clean, wash and hang to dry. Week in, week out.
I’ve never had a problem, as long as you use cold water to rinse before washing, as hot water will just bake the dirt in. Same as when you use swarfega on your hands, or even on rubber work gloves, cold is cleaner, so to speak.
And Cola (any brand will do, although the more fizz, the better) for diesel stains on clothing. Works every time.

I personally think that the greasier my Hi-Viz jacket gets, the more waterproof it is.

Kate:

ROG:

Kate:

They must have improved Rog, as I have two hiViz coats which I clean like that, and they still keep the water out.
Clean, wash and hang to dry. Week in, week out.
I’ve never had a problem, as long as you use cold water to rinse before washing, as hot water will just bake the dirt in. Same as when you use swarfega on your hands, or even on rubber work gloves, cold is cleaner, so to speak.
And Cola (any brand will do, although the more fizz, the better) for diesel stains on clothing. Works every time.

Thanks Kate - oh, and by the way, what’s a washing machine :question: :question: :confused: :confused:

ROG:
Thanks Kate - oh, and by the way, what’s a washing machine :question: :question: :confused: :confused:

something you buy the wife for xmas Rog! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I use to wash mine but I allways found that it lost it’s waterproof coating so now I dont bother.
I just chuck it and go and get a new one

i just steep mine in hot water with stardrops .

i pressure wash mine over the washing line(make sure there is no other washing on the line first!!!) then chuck them in the washing machine on a cold wash otherwise a hot wash can take off the reflective coating on the silver bits…

Y&ou can buy 1 for £15.
Chuck it and buy a new 1

i put mine in washer on a 90 degree wash i comes out like new.

Whatever you do don’t use bio washing powder, it eats the waterproofing, found that out on a very expensive outdoor jacket :frowning: .

MADBAZ:
Whatever you do don’t use bio washing powder, it eats the waterproofing, found that out on a very expensive outdoor jacket :frowning: .

I wack my hi viz bomber jacket on a 60c heavy soiled wash and it comes out brand new every time, but says on label i can only do this 25 times…after that it will sef distruct. :open_mouth: :exclamation: :exclamation: :smiley:

The swarfega worked a treat - got 90% of the crap out, thanks for that tip

Okey-Didley-Dokely:
Y&ou can buy 1 for £15.
Chuck it and buy a new 1

The last batch that my lot bought were only £9.50 for bombers and £12.50 for coats.
Thats why we do as you say , chuck it and grab a new one . :smiley: :smiley:
I always carry 2 bombers, 1 yellow for normal and 1 orange for railway work that usually means I go through about 6 a year (4 yellow ,2 orange).

Steep it in NAPPYSAN for babies nappies !! Removes everything

I suffered the same problem and had sleepless nights over it. Eventually I took it into the shower with me (Chorley) and stamped on it vigerously with my feet while at the same time dribbling a handfull of liquid soap onto it. Afterwards I wrung it out and screwed it into in to ball. I took the vent off the night heater and stuffed the balled up Hi-Viz vest into the night heater pipe, switched it on so it would dry out and went to sleep. In the morning I found that the heat had melted the Hi-Viz jacket and the molten flouresent liquid had poured onto my footmat. Ho Hum. So I cut a hole in the footmat for my head to go through and have worn it since. Nobody has said anything or seems to care so this method appears as good as any I’d say.