Cleaning Aluminium

I have a Aluminum Tipper body and fuel tank which is a year old and looking at pictures from when it was new it has defiantly lost its shine. Whats the best way to clean it and restore it back to its former glory and then keep it that way?

Thanks.

Do not use G101 or similar.

Autosol?

Bale Bandit:

Autosol?

How many tubes of autosol do you reckon he’ll need to clean a tipper body?:wink:

damoq:

Bale Bandit:

Autosol?

How many tubes of autosol do you reckon he’ll need to clean a tipper body?:wink:

It’s only a 10t 4wheeler tipper :slight_smile:

Never used this so its just a suggestion really.

jennychem.com/film-removers/ … -25lt.html

There is this theory going about the classic (anything) world & this theory thing is called “patina”.

Basically it boil’s down to . . . a 55yr old woman should look like a 55yr old woman, not like a 55yr old woman with a face lift that makes her look like the 36yr old bride of Frankenstein !

I doubt that your boss man would want to pay you £6.31 to bling up what is essentially the property of the lease Co’, regardless of how good the guerilla marketed product that this thread is trying to promote may be.

Leave it as it is, if you seek shiny shiny, bling bling, then you are most certainly in the wrong job.

damoq:

Bale Bandit:

Autosol?

I was thinking more for the tank

1: Blast it with a jet wash.
2: rub down with a Brillo pad (not too heavy handed)
3: clean it off with the jet wash again and leave to dry.
4: apply metal polish (auto glym or white diamond)

You have to really give it some with the polish to get a good finish

Chas:
I doubt that your boss man would want to pay you £6.31 to bling up what is essentially the property of the lease Co’, regardless of how good the guerilla marketed product that this thread is trying to promote may be.

Leave it as it is, if you seek shiny shiny, bling bling, then you are most certainly in the wrong job.

I think Freddie is old enough to decide for himself if he wants to look after the truck or not!!

Bale Bandit:

damoq:

Bale Bandit:

Autosol?

I was thinking more for the tank

It’s still going to take a couple of quids’ worth to do the whole tank - and according to some of the participants here, even spending 20p of your own money to get the job done efficiently is unacceptable, let alone splashing out just to make the truck look nice…

To do a tipper body, get a polishing wheel attachment for a drill or an angle grinder and a bar of rouge, start with a course one (brown) and finish off with a fine one (white) it’ll take a day and you’ll end up as black as the ace of spades, but you’ll be able to shave in the finish it gives you. :wink:

Nothing wrong with having a bit of pride in your ride

I can vouch for the JennyChem stuff.
Dilute as recommended,use a soft/fine-bristle broom to brush it on, then hose down.
Repeat if necessary.
Bob’s your shiny Uncle!

Hiya …their’s a product called Alu proud. try doing your tank first as its quite expensive.
i did a round patch on the sideboards of a lorry 7 years ago. belive it or not the lorry has
never been washed since. the shiny patch is still their. i was demonstrating to a motorbike
chap how good the polish is. and it still is. to buy this product you need to go to www.aluproud.com.
their is someone on TN who has some but i don’t remember her name.
John

loadtec lotto:
Nothing wrong with having a bit of pride in your ride

+1

Metal polish and a mop will do it or a tub off cutting compound then the polish should bring it up. I would recommend some form off mop/buffer on it ■■■■ doing a tipper body by hand.:slight_smile:

At my last place the boss use to give us brick acid to use on the trailer headboards,brush it on and leave it for a bit before washing of, work a treat but stunk like hell.

Autosmart ali shine, Spray it on, brush in or allow it to soak in, then pressure was it off. Brings dull alloy up well and easily. Do not get it on your skin though, it is acid based!

Turbo:
Autosmart ali shine, Spray it on, brush in or allow it to soak in, then pressure was it off. Brings dull alloy up well and easily. Do not get it on your skin though, it is acid based!

Hiya well said about NOT getting alishine /aliclean on your hands. this product contains Hydrofloric acid. it dosn’t burn your skin.it attacks the calcium in your bones and makes the bone colapse.true becareful of this product its safe as long as you read the label.
John

i know a guy who every year uses 200 brillo pads too clean his ali bulker, it’s 6 year old now but still looks like new

scotstrucker:
i know a guy who every year uses 200 brillo pads too clean his ali bulker, it’s 6 year old now but still looks like new

Yet the steel fibres of the Brillo pads don’t embed into the ally & turn to unsightly rust !

Strange that, 'cos everyone I know that polishes ally on a regular basis, would shoot someone who came near their engine cases with a Brillo pad !