Cleaning a HI-VIZ jacket

I’m sure someone a few weeks ago posted some info on here about a particular technique there is, to getting those black oil stains etc out of a HI-VIZ jacket.

Anyway I’ve searched for the post and can’t find it anywhere.

I’ve put the ■■■■ thing through the washing machine several times and still can’t get those stains out. The jacket is only a month old - so surely I can get it back to looking nearly as good as new.

Thanks in advance.

:sunglasses: :sunglasses:

rub swarfega into the stains i think was the most used technique, also wash it on low heat to reflective stuff doesn’t come off

Thats all I do with oil stained clothes is stick swarf on the clothes and scrub it in, usually takes a tad colour away but better that than either A) wearingCLEAN but oily stained clothes or B) Buying new jeans every other week.

washing upliquid not to bad if scrubed on with a brush then cool wash in washin machine alt go to your local 99p store in u can get ten hi viz vests and get sume change,

I used Vanish on my husband’s it worked a treat - haven’t seen him for a month…

No seriously, it does work - put plenty on the stain and rub well…

Soak it overnight in water and washing powder or washing up liquid before washing it.

ANDY1961:
I’ve put the ■■■■ thing through the washing machine several times and still can’t get those stains out.

Hi Viz stuff usually has a limited number of washes before it is no longer any good, typically 25 washes, so best not to keep banging it through the machine.

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to reply.

I bought Swarfega - and it worked!!!

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Once you’ve washed it & they haven’t come out, they wo’nt as it seems to sort of “set” the stains in.

Used to use swarfega but it was too much like hard work scrubbing it in. Now i just spray engine degreaser on & rub in lightly with fingers. Works a treat.

Whats this HI-VIS we speak of? :laughing: :laughing:

there is no way in hell i am getting my shiney new bomber jacket manky. its a hiviz raincoat as far as i am concerned. if im getting dirty i would rather get soaked than get my jacket covered in crap. i would rather my vests got covered in crap. they are cheaper to replace

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=45940&hilit=+swarfega

This stuff works well on hi-viz jackets.

Made by Swarfega, but not as gunky as the stuff you clean your hands with.

Whatever you do!!! do not forget to ask for a list of when/where you can actually wear it, as some of the more girly types on here throw a hissy fit if you wear it in an inappropriate environment.

Brake cleaner! :sunglasses:

Diesel works a treat :blush: :blush: :blush:

5 Euro buys a new one :unamused:

MADBAZ:

It’s also carcinogenic. :unamused: :smiling_imp: :unamused:

Dazza:

MADBAZ:

It’s also carcinogenic. :unamused: :smiling_imp: :unamused:

Not sure about diesel fuel, but diesel exhaust fumes are.

Is this what this forum is all about,thought for a second I stumbled on a laundrette forum. Just push the boat out and buy a new one. Anyone on here know what a dolly knot is or what deteregent is the best for cleaning one■■?

On general haulage port/trailer swop work if you’re unlucky you can get a new high-viz vest badly greased up on its first day.

I think my employers would take dim view if i were to ask for a new one, complete with co. logo on the back, every few days.

The OP refered a “jacket”, a decent one is £40 yes? Hardly cost effective to buy a new one every time it gets some grease on it is it Harry?
Perhaps you only change trailers at MOT time?