Clean Test Sheet apart from SIGNALS ADVICE PLEASE

:smiley: had my test in Chelmsford went well i thought i had passed butttttttt
the examinor failed me on signalling my test sheet was clean apart from
that section now this is my problem can someone explain please,

Trainer told me to indicate right when passing parked vehicles … i said "do i still indicate when i can see
a right turn " He said “yes just bang it on”

Examinor said "failed as this would confuse people in making them think i am turning right
when in actual fact im only passing vehicles and not turning …

so is the remidy that when there is a right turn i just com out to pass parked vehicles
with out indicating?
i would like someone to explain please… :smiley:

Hi Westhamtrucker

I would imagine that you had Paul Lawrence as the examiner in Chelmsford.

Without wishing to confuse you or contradict what your instructor has taught you I will explain how we teach this issue.

When you have to move out to pass a parked car the procedure is to check the mirrors 1st. Strictly speaking you should then act on what you see in them. ie If there is nothing behind you there is no need to signal. However we teach to give a right signal as there maybe someone there that you can’t see like a motorbike or small car.

Now that works fine when you are moving and can pass the parked vehicles without stopping. When you have to stop for oncoming traffic the situation changes a bit. If there is a turning on the right and you are stationary we advise caution against giving a right signal as the oncoming traffic may think your intention is to turn right. Often a car will stop alongside the parked vehicle and flash or wave for you to complete the right turn (as he thinks)

The problem with not signalling is that traffic behind you can’t see why you have stopped and there is a chance they may try to overtake you, causing more confusion.

In these cases it is best to give a couple of right hand flashes of the signal when you stop then cancel the signal. You can then put the signal on again when the road ahead is clear and you can proceed.

When you have moved out far enough to overtake cancel the signal completely.

Hope this helps

Regards

John
Flair Training
Chelmsford, Essex

2 flicks and back off again, I guess :-/ Personally, unless I’m crossing the centre line of the road, I don’t bother.

Well thats the way i was taught too and i never had a problem with my examiner on it. Indicate then cancel the signal soon after is what i did.

Thanks John that does help me a lot

i have a retest so should pass that
so if in doubt just a couple of flashes of the indicator should do
unless stationary in traffic …

I think as you had a completely clean sheet you should have passed.What you were failed on is quite debatable

Also consider the road, as a driver it is always forward thinking, vehicle position, Indicate normally 2 or 3 flashes and drive but as said if you are reading the road correctly you should manouver the truck out ready but that doesnt always happen. Good luck for retest.

One More thing please ROG
:smiley:
When you have a right turn ahead ie a side road ahead whick you will not be using
then is it the same ?just 2 flashes? then cancell and proceed ?

also can you recomend a good school for essex ? i hear Scania do training do you know if they are
better than one man bands?