clean shirt

I work self employed through agencies, and do a self-assessment tax return each year. On my allowable expenses list, I include, among other things, clothing and boots. I don’t keep receipts for everything. Does anyone know what HMRC accept as a “reasonable figure”? How much do “umbrella companies” allocate? I guess that, at work, I wear £250 worth of clothes, boots, waterproofs, gloves, PPE, goggles and hardhat and replace them annually

Anything, you could claim £3000 for a computer to invoice if you really wanted to

All the allowable figures are available from HMRC, if you really want to save tax speak to an accountant, for self assessment you should only pay about 150 tops. Anything you buy in relation to your business activities though is tax allowable.

Dont worry you will still get screwed.
Just been reading about the new “help to buy scheme” what a good un!

Some monkey has 30 grand but wants to buy a 600 grand house.
the “government” gives the bank 90 grand+ the monkeys 30 grand(20% deposit)
the bank gives the “government” 810 quid as a “gaurantee” against default on the mortgage (0.9% of the loan)
the interest rate rises to 7 or 8 %
the monkey cant pay so defaults on the mortgage
the bank keeps the deposit(30 grand off the monkey and 90 grand off you the tax payer)
but the real good bit is
The bank repos the house and puts it back on the market for another 600 grand
just in time for another monkey with 30 grand after another 600 grand house.
you couldnt make it up could you.Or could you.Keep paying your taxes the government hates thieves.

Bking:

the bank gives the “government” 810 quid as a “gaurantee” against default on the mortgage (0.9% of the loan)
the bank keeps the deposit(30 grand off the monkey and 90 grand off you the tax payer)
but the real good bit is
you couldnt make it up could you.Or could you.Keep paying your taxes the government hates thieves.

So you’re saying HM Gov doesn’t get their £90k back?

Bking:

but the real good bit is

Nicely on topic there. Very helpful.

switchlogic:

Bking:

but the real good bit is

Nicely on topic there. Very helpful.

and some fell on stoney ground!

Euro:
I work self employed through agencies, and do a self-assessment tax return each year. On my allowable expenses list, I include, among other things, clothing and boots. I don’t keep receipts for everything. Does anyone know what HMRC accept as a “reasonable figure”? How much do “umbrella companies” allocate? I guess that, at work, I wear £250 worth of clothes, boots, waterproofs, gloves, PPE, goggles and hardhat and replace them annually

You can also claim a percentage for things like computers mobile phones and things used partly in connection with your business It’s wise to keep receipts and don’t go into the realms of fantasy when making a claim the HMRC website will give info on what can be claimed for.

You can also claim a percentage of your homes energy costs as you are using it as an office when you sort work and do your invoicing

Don’t forget to claim on your dog food as the guard dog you have looks after your boots when you’re in bed :slight_smile:

Darb:
Don’t forget to claim on your dog food as the guard dog you have looks after your boots when you’re in bed :slight_smile:

he’ll be claiming for his Mrs doing the cleaning next :laughing:

nick2008:

Darb:

he’ll be claiming for his Mrs doing the cleaning next :laughing:

He can about £100 a year that what i used ot get when my uniform used to be clean back in UK.