CLEAN MOTORS

Did you like to keep the motor/s that you drove clean and tidy,or was it just a means to an end,and you didnt bother?

Driving a clean motor was the way I liked it,at the end of a night trunk,I would take 10 minutes washing the night’s crap off,the dayman thought the same,so both he and I expected to take over a clean and tidy motor.

…but what do you think?

David :smiley:

I’ll clean my lorry allday aslong as I’m paid. Truckfest clean is pointless at our place as once the lorries are clean, out comes a crap tractor bowser that damps the mud and dust just enough for it to lift up and land on our doors.

i never went out with a dirty lorry, used to wash it before i went out and when i got back, sometimes in between lol. my wife said i loved my lorry more than her , i said ,well if you were with me and we had an accident and you were hurt ,i would call for a wrecker before an ambulance lol, that didnt go down too well,
cheers diesel

i used to be on agency, when doing M&S at Enfield, i used to take truck through wash every night when finished, and used to clean the windows mirrors etc. …didnt care if i got it the next day or not self pride could not sit in a dirty truck good job baby wipes were only £1 a pack from Poundland in Tottenham retail park!

discoman:
i used to be on agency, when doing M&S at Enfield, i used to take truck through wash every night when finished, and used to clean the windows mirrors etc. …didnt care if i got it the next day or not self pride could not sit in a dirty truck good job baby wipes were only £1 a pack from Poundland in Tottenham retail park!

Bit of rag costs ■■■■ all :laughing: By the way, what’s a drive through truckwash? :stuck_out_tongue:

I can remember drivers fixing a rag or cloth to the rear of the mirrors,so that when driving the wind used to constantly move the cloth over the reflective mirror surface,not seen one of those for ages!

Take it easy,

David :smiley:

Clean trucks for me :smiley: , paid or not paid to clean a truck ! , its pride and to me thats it ! , I answer the phone to clients who say what a nice fleet you have :open_mouth: .
Its good for a business to have a nice turned out fleet with clean uniformed drivers .

In your line of work Jakey I agree but my wagon was clean up until 5 minutes ago when someone sprayed dirty water onto a clean haul road… :unamused:

I know what you mean Nathan ,I choose to do a clean but hard job to do , I was on long distance wagon and drags (proper turntables) with demount bodies for 8years and that was a clean job but you sometimes did get grease on your trousers and shirt from the demount body legs .That is about the the dirtest job I had apart from being a hgv fitter for 5 years , but I cannot drive or work on a dirty truck .As a kid with my first bike a raleigh chopper (still got two ) my dad made us clean and polish the bikes every week and it went from there :open_mouth: .
My lads know what I expectwith the trucks and thats it .I never get any trouble .
The hoffs truck was hit today by a bus in North moreton by Wallingford so Im not happy as only three montha ago I spent £11k on a full respray , the driver of the bus said "its only a ■■■■■■■ truck " :open_mouth: , only trouble was my brother was there and herd what he said and the rest is not repeatable on here :blush: .

You can’t expect anything else JAKEY from a bloody bus driver. :unamused: Shame after you spending all that money on it and it was looking good.

Yes buddy , the hoff and me are gutted but I hope the bus company can coff up , its not bad and most would not bother but I cannot leave it like that after all that money .

and why should you, if it had been your vehicle that hit the bus, they would be after you. Get a good job done on it mate, not a problem to them, they will just put the fares up :unamused: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I always had a clean lorry hated it been dirty all about personal pride and i was driving well before sleeper cabs and only ever had 2 new lorries Albion Clydesdale and a Ford D 1000 HEY HO happy days

i just cant understand anyone not wanting to clean their own lorry.
Mine was scrubbed and polished every Saturday as were all our others. Some drivers did more than others, there was only one rotten pig. I once went on hoidays, his lorry broke down so he drove mine for two days. I got back to stale milk, pork pie, dirty pants, I nearly spewed.

Public and customers always commented on our fleet. I changed professions and still have Daieho143’s son clean and polish my vans every Saturday, and he will end up a lorry driver with self pride like his father and grandad before him, not dirty grubby blokes with no pride, regards rowland

Saturday mornings was cleaning day. However I have hand polished some of my motors while I have been waiting to tip and load. There is only so much sleeping you can do. I always thought that if the motor looked right the law would give you a miss.

We used to get paid an hour a week to wash the lorry and you had to sign a book to claim your cash, my signature in the book was a very rare sight as ‘the regulars’ would be washing off while I was loading my last load of the day which paid better than an hour spent washing and they would all have gone home and locked the washbay up by the time I arrived back! I did keep the cab clean inside though, not like some of them where you could tarmac your drive with all the tar spread around the floor and pedals. :unamused:

Pete.

This is mine when I changed back to it this morning after it was serviced yesterday; it stayed like this (how I’dve preffered it) but some bright spark decided to spray water onto the (clean dry) haul road which then made a right mess of the paintwork. I’ve heard from a good source that noises have been made at head office that many drivers are not bothering to keep the wagons clean anymore…I wonder why :unamused:

Hiya… i just give this old girl a jet was off once a week. she was 12 years old in this photo.
I had her for 9 years what a truck.

John

That looks ace John .

I look after my wagons, always have, call it professional pride but I don’t like hitting the road with a dirty wagon! I also think that it comes from the fact that I come from a Transport/Haulage background, & although some think it’s a corny saying I think “Diesel in the veins” is a true saying, in that I am interested in the job, & I am not ashamed to admit that although we all have bad days, I am proud to be a Lorry Driver & I enjoy my job! But sadly people like me & lot of you others on this site, who served a passenger seat apprenticeship every weekend & all through the school holidays for years watching everything my dad/brothers or whoever I was out with did. Nowadays as I have found since I started interviewing any new drivers when we look to employ, so many now couldn’t give a toss, I quite frankly haven’t got a clue why some of them drive wagons cos to them it’s just a job/wage, if someone offered them £10 more next week to stack shelves at Tesco’s they’d go & do it! Our new Scania’s are great motors, but some of them know nothing what-so-ever about wagons, so the thought of washing them regularly or having any pride in them just doesn’t register, cos they want to go home before they’ve even got started. I’ve met many over the years who look on a wagon as a tool to do the job, but it hasn’t taken away the fact that they were good drivers, & they would have all their kit in order & the wagon would mechanically etc be well up to the mark!

Regards Chris