Classic Truck Magazine

Frankydobo:
If its published by Kelsey who do Classic & Vintage then I fear it will go the same route (no pun intended), is it done by the same Editor who didn’t seem too popular with C&V readers ? It remains to be seen what will be said about it in a years time, no interest for me its not in my prefered era but hopefully it will please those that buy it. I only buy Heritage Commercials now as it often has vehicles or companies from the Northeast, so some local interest there. Franky.

Something really irritates me about the editorials in CVC; Is it patronising (the “tell us what you want…it’s your magazine…”) the editors’ goofy expression that says “I pretend to know about old lorries as I try to tilt a Borderers’ cab…”
:laughing:

Classic Truck quarterly magazine - Kelsey Publishing
Trucking magazine - Kelsey Publishing - title purchased from Future Publishing
Truckstop News - Kelsey Publishing - title purchased from Future Publishing
Heritage Commercial - Mortons Media Group
Truck & Driver - Road Transport Media - title purchased from Reed Business Information
Commercial Motor - Road Transport Media - title purchased from Reed Business Information
Motor Transport - Road Transport Media - title purchased from Reed Business Information
Vintage Roadscene - Key Publishing - title purchased from Ian Allan Group.

Interesting how Mortons in their September online advert refer to Classic Truck Magazine, were they moving to printing such a magazine within their Classic series and Kelsey beat them to it recognising the interest in trucks from the latter part of the 20th century! Of course the title ran for many years as a feature with Trucking (nee Trucking International) magazine. It could also be seen as a generic term with nobody albe to claim copyright!

One thing that I am sure of though www.nynehead-books.co.uk

Its funny, i always reckoned that a Classic Truck magazine would be a good seller given the ammount of interest in the Gaydon shows - Retro etc. Personally myself i think it’s a great idea and a long time coming, i have just purchased my copy and it is just what we need! Lets just hope it stays that way! Like a few of you i subscribe to Heritage commercials which for me is a far superior read to CVC. When i first saw the Classic Truck mag i thought it was a spin off of the Heritage Commercials Classic Truck section and was very suprised to learn that it is Trucking mag related so to speak with the same editor. Whatever, i cant wait for the next issue!!

retriever:
Truck & Driver - Road Transport Media - title purchased from Reed Business Information
Commercial Motor - Road Transport Media - title purchased from Reed Business Information
Motor Transport - Road Transport Media - title purchased from Reed Business Information

Interesting how Mortons in their September online advert refer to Classic Truck Magazine, were they moving to printing such a magazine within their Classic series and Kelsey beat them to it recognising the interest in trucks from the latter part of the 20th century! Of course the title ran for many years as a feature with Trucking (nee Trucking International) magazine. It could also be seen as a generic term with nobody albe to claim copyright!

One thing that I am sure of though nynehead-books.co.uk

Hello everyone
Thankyou for everyone comments. Please keep them coming.
retriever, wheres Transport News amongst your magazine listings?

For everyones infomation, Transport News is a Scottish, North West & North East trucking magazine, which comes out the second Friday of the Month and is ONLY £2.20, and it is an excelent read (its better than T&D). Its published by Transport News Ltd (I think, never really looked at the publishing details)

Kindest regards
CG

■■■■■■■■ gill:

retriever:

Hello everyone

For everyones infomation, Transport News is a Scottish, North West & North East trucking magazine, which comes out the second Friday of the Month and is ONLY £2.20, and it is an excelent read (its better than T&D). Its published by Transport News Ltd (I think, never really looked at the publishing details)

Kindest regards
CG

CG

I fully agree that Transport News is a good publication with interesting articles. I have advertised in it in the past - albeit with little response, I might add.

I simply did not include it in my listing as I never thought to do so - probably as I did not see it as a national publication (excluding Scotland of course).

I bought it and thought it was good, wish there was a bit more on that Astran Transconti thou! Will be getting the next issue if i can remember when its due out just my age range. :smiley:

Evening Gentlemen, well you shall be parted from your monies!!! And many of you have!!!

Quite frankly , the whole lot are not worth a fig!!! The standard of journalism is pitiful, poor knowledge, poor references, and total lack of research,…(unless they use “unreliable” internet forums). Proper journalists, the late Graham Montgomery, my pal, Pat Kennet, Mike Cunningham, Pat Barras, they must roll with mirth at these attempts!!!

Still, the paper, it is perhaps good lining for ones Cats dirt tray.

Cheerio for now.

retriever:

■■■■■■■■ gill:

retriever:

Hello everyone

Kindest regards
CG

CG

I fully agree that Transport News is a good publication with interesting articles. I have advertised in it in the past - albeit with little response, I might add.

I simply did not include it in my listing as I never thought to do so - probably as I did not see it as a national publication (excluding Scotland of course).

Hello retriever
True, it doesn’t go into any shops further than Widnes, but I glad you think its a good publication.
Kindest reagads
CG
P.S Now this new magazine has started, is this the end of Classic Truck section in the Classic & Vintage Commercials Magazine, published by Kelsey?

Have subscribed to Kelsey for mine 8 issues for £19.98, but also bought it from the newsagent.
I thought it was good and will improve with time, hpoefully it will go monthly, the content realy hits the spot for me, i dont want to read about stuff from the 40’s and 50’s and i agree with the comment regarding C&VC IT MAKES MY BLOOD BOIL TO SEE THOSE ROADRUN PICS!!! Come on editor do your job and pull ya finger out, its not what your readers want.

What I wouldn`t mind seeing in these old vintage lorry mags is some form of road test on every featured restored wagon, similar to the old road tests in CM in the 60s and 70s.
Rather than just a few static pics of it looking all shiny, stick a period load on one and send it on a 100 mile round trip then give an evaluation on fuel consumption, performance, driver fatigue, mechanical problems etc.
At the moment the features are rather mundane, any restoration will involve similar tasks or techniques so all the reader is left with is repetitive text and a few shiny pics for each motor.

This morning the November issue of Heritage Commercials arrived and the Classic Truck feature is now a seperate free magazine :smiley:
I haven’t read through it fully yet but it looks quite interesting and some good pics of some good motors from the 70’s, 80’s & 90’s.
Looks like we’ve got a new Classic Truck mag war starting :laughing: :wink:

Regards
Dave Penn;

Saviem:
Quite frankly , the whole lot are not worth a fig!!! The standard of journalism is pitiful, poor knowledge, poor references, and total lack of research,…(unless they use “unreliable” internet forums). Proper journalists, the late Graham Montgomery, my pal, Pat Kennet, Mike Cunningham, Pat Barras, they must roll with mirth at these attempts!!!

Hear, hear, John, though I think that some of those names from the past might not be so mirthful at the rubbish produced by some of these ‘writers’. Rather, I think, they would despair that the example they set has been so wilfully discarded.

I’ve had some personal contact with some of the more recent writers, over the last 20 years, and I have been aghast at their lack of awareness (never mind knowledge!) of some of the most basic aspects of haulage and even vehicle construction.

A look back at CM technical articles (written by formally-qualified engineers) and road tests, is like steppng into another world.

I’m not repeating the worst example of what Chris is describing. I was there - it was ridiculous… :unamused: :unamused:

davepenn54:
This morning the November issue of Heritage Commercials arrived and the Classic Truck feature is now a seperate free magazine :smiley:
I haven’t read through it fully yet but it looks quite interesting and some good pics of some good motors from the 70’s, 80’s & 90’s.
Looks like we’ve got a new Classic Truck mag war starting :laughing: :wink:

Regards
Dave Penn;

Hello Dave
Thats very interesting. What have they got inside instead the magazine instead of Classic Truck?
Kindest regards
CG

marky:
I’m not repeating the worst example of what Chris is describing. I was there - it was ridiculous… :unamused: :unamused:

I shan’t repeat it either, Mark! I was really thinking about the comparison of Comical Motor of recent years, with the respected Commercial Motor of years gone by, but an amount of what is published in some of the ‘classic’ publications is risible.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349509436.902444.jpg
Same name, different publishers ■■?

Derbyshire Foden:
Same name, different publishers ■■?

Thats interesting Derbyshire Foden. I didn’t think they would keep doing Classic Truck in HC after the new one came out
Kindest regards
CG

Ive still yet to find anywhere that sells the new Classic Truck magazine…been looking everywhere, WHSmiths local paper shops and just about every service area south of the midlands. So still cant give my opinion.

Mark R:
Ive still yet to find anywhere that sells the new Classic Truck magazine…been looking everywhere, WHSmiths local paper shops and just about every service area south of the midlands. So still cant give my opinion.

Hello Mark R
Try your local independant newsagents, they should stock it.
Fail that, contact the publisher of Classic Truck, Kesley, who should be able to tell you where the nearest stockist is to you.
Kindest regards
CG

I’m sure i’ll find one soon.