Classed as 10 hours?

Can you help me chaps?
Lets say I do 8 hrs driving monday
9 hrs 10 mins tuesday
7 hrs wednesday
10 hrs thursday
so up till now lets round it off to 34.5 hrs driving
On Friday im running late and it looks like to get home its going to be
9hrs and 10 mins driving.(Two 45 min breaks taken through out the day)

Does Tuesdays hours count as a full 10hrs driving?
Or is this classed as 3 10 hrs driving in a week?
could I get away with going the 10 mins extra on friday even though im still
within the maximum driving hours?

Tuesdays 9 hours 10 minutes will count as one of the two extended driving periods allowed per week.

If your TM scratched his head at that you need a new TM. :wink:

Thanks for that,as for the T/M he’s going by the end of the month

would they not ‘let you off’ for the 10 minutes over.

especially if you couldnt find anywhere to park and the next thing you know you are at the yard :wink: :wink: :wink:

Giblsa:

especially if you couldnt find anywhere to park and the next thing you know you are at the yard :wink: :wink: :wink:

i was told by my TM 9 hours 1 min and you have done a ten hour drive and he said you mite get away with it if you don’t do it to often but as the regs go you have used 1 of your ten

he was i bit keen in checking your tachos as he had a new reader the printer one

The reason people get confused about this is the terminology they use. We talk about driving 10 hours or 10 hour driving days for example. The regulations say the daily driving limit is a maximum of 9 hours, extendable to 10 hours no more than twice a week.

When we drivers talk about it in terms of 10 hours driving, people are then confused when they only do 9 hours 5 minutes whether that counts as a 10. Nine hours 5 minutes doesn’t ‘count as 10 hours’ but it does count as one of the two extensions allowed per week. If anyone is confused forget the 10-hour thing and just ask whether you have extended beyond 9 hours, if the answer is yes you have one less maximum driving day available to you.

I talked to a driver recently who insisted that if you did 9 hours 1 minute driving in a shift you had to count that as 10 hours when calculating your total driving time for the week/fortnight. Mind you he was an idiot on several other things with regard to the tacho rules and he could have filled a whole BS thread by himself. :wink: :smiley:

Giblsa:

There is a provision for that written in the regs for an emergency and there is also a long post on that subject in this forum - quite recent I think…