class1?

i am currently a class2 hiab driver as my name hints lol i am on about 17k a year but circumstaces have changed and i need more money ! (wife now a muture student) Been thinking about doing my class1 but what puts me of is most companys demand 2 years experiance and i cant leave a full time job for agency so i would be worried about finding work my current work as no class 1 so was thinking of looking for a rigid job at the mo with a company that as both class 1 and 2 . anyway what i am asking is. is the class1 worth the investment? will i make more money (stay in the glasgow area) and how differnt is it driving an artic to a 6 wheeler (doing multi drops for builders merchant). Any input welcome thanks for reading this long winded dribble lol

hi, i have held my class 2 for 9 yrs, only drove on it for 4 weeks, didnt llike it, went back to my trade a bricklayer, so 10yrs on i have some spare cash so decided to take class 1, in which i did passed first time :smiley: this was last october 2010, and guess what i have only done some weekend work, registered with driving agency who ring every week asking if i can work,and i had a company ask if i would like a full time job,so as my little story goes it aint hard to find a job with no experience just be honest, and surprise surprise i still a bricky, try looking at a company that has class1+2 trucks have a chat with them tell them what your thinking of doing,you never no your luck mate,nothing to lose loads to gain, now this is what i call dribble lol good luck pal :smiley:

I took my class 1 as an experienced multi axle rigid driver, most of the driving was very similar and you’d barely notice the difference. There was another guy doing a retest who’d come straight from a rigid pass and he was amazed at how at ease I was with speeds, distances, gears and road positions. I explained that it’s exactly the same as my 9-5 job even down to being a similar Scania. However where he had the edge was junctions and turning and awkward manouevres, I’d have to try and forget everything I was used to doing and approach it with fresh eyes, he was much better than I was at this stuff as he’d not really learnt how to drag a big rigid about.

I only drive an artic a couple of times a year for holiday cover, I usually try and avoid it as I’d rather stay with “my” vehicle and equipment. I don’t find it too tricky to jump back in the seat when needed although when I do it’s usually either empty trailer (easy) or fully loaded with a 22t machine about 11’ wide which is a bit more of a challenge.

thanks for the replys not been on here i a while. 8 wheels are you still doing your diarys i remember reading your diary after you passed your class 1 ! do you have a link to it??

class2 hiab:
so was thinking of looking for a rigid job at the mo with a company that as both class 1 and 2

Not sure where you are based but my firm has a depot in Glasgow (off J26, M8), we do artic and rigid work (multi-drop fridge work). We pay same money for class 1 and class 2 (don’t ask me why but it’s true!!) and we have been known to put class 2 drivers through their class 1 test if they commit to staying with us for 2 or 3 more years. The money is much better than your current wage too. If you’re based in the area and are interested PM me for contact details, what I don’t know is if we have any vacancies up there at present.

Best of luck anyway!

sent you a pm simon

I used to driver rigid with a crane mounted. I stumped up the cash and passed my class 1 in October last year. 6 weeks later I got a full time job driving artic and I’ve not stopped yet. My wage has almost doubled and I dont regret it one little bit.

class2 hiab:
thanks for the replys not been on here i a while. 8 wheels are you still doing your diarys i remember reading your diary after you passed your class 1 ! do you have a link to it??

I don’t really have the time or inclination to do them anymore, I used to do them as a bit of an online CV / record of work done in the event of ever needing to look for a new job. It’s just more of the same really.

Most of the diaries are here.

I did do a diary recently, a new motor gave me a sudden burst of (short lived) enthusiasm

class2 hiab:
i am currently a class2 hiab driver as my name hints lol i am on about 17k a year but circumstaces have changed and i need more money ! (wife now a muture student) Been thinking about doing my class1 but what puts me of is most companys demand 2 years experiance and i cant leave a full time job for agency so i would be worried about finding work my current work as no class 1 so was thinking of looking for a rigid job at the mo with a company that as both class 1 and 2 . anyway what i am asking is. is the class1 worth the investment? will i make more money (stay in the glasgow area) and how differnt is it driving an artic to a 6 wheeler (doing multi drops for builders merchant). Any input welcome thanks for reading this long winded dribble lol

You are not well paid in your present job. You should be at least on 20k a year witha class2 and HIAB. There are jobs out there that pay more, even as you are deciding what to do for your Class 1 look around and apply for other and better paid jobs.

I am kind of in the same boat, i am also class 2 hiab ,but alas made redundant last friday . So i shall be inquiring tomorrow about upgrading the ticket to class 1 and more than likely getting a full ADR ticket also, which combined should qualify for the dreaded dcpc nonsense, the training company in question is fully jaupt approved.