Class one supermarket work

Evening all, I’m currently working as a class 2 Driver (breaking my back) the money is decent but it’s the work itself (laundry) pushing heavy cages, throwing bags upstairs that’s making me think in 10 years I won’t want to be doing this me thinks. No problem with manual work - it’s the volume of it.

Got thinking about getting my class one and the kind of work that would appeal to me. I’m thinking of supermarket work…

So, I was wondering if any of you chaps could give me an idea of the best way to get in with one of these companies (asda, Tesco whatever) Is there a call for it? Or am I just wasting my time due to the experience problem every newbie comes against. Cheers

Where are you based ?

bald bloke:
Where are you based ?

Probably should’ve mentioned :smiley: - Birmingham

Easy enough to get into if your willing to go agency. A lot harder if you want to jump in as a full-time employed driver.
For new starters containers seems to be the best way in to getting experience if your not willing to go down the agency route.

Edit: if your Birmingham then I’d check out a few parcel companies quite a few based in Birmingham and its generally just trunking work.

adam277:
Easy enough to get into if your willing to go agency. A lot harder if you want to jump in as a full-time employed driver.
For new starters containers seems to be the best way in to getting experience if your not willing to go down the agency route.

Edit: if your Birmingham then I’d check out a few parcel companies quite a few based in Birmingham and its generally just trunking work.

Thanks mate. Yeah I thought it would be agency, I’ll have to think about that, with family and mortgage and such.

As for the parcel companies, I know there’s dpd not that far away. I had a ball ache getting my first class 2 job, I just hope that doesn’t happen with the class one…

Try Asda at Burtonwood.
Brilliant set up and amazing company to deal with.

halewood:
Try Asda at Burtonwood.

I’m in Birmingham mate

Iv’e done Sainsbury’s and Tesco’s,both good work if you get your class1,also done Iceland,would not recommend them at all,real hard graft,nearly lost a trolley off the back one day because it’s coming from the trailer all frozen,soon as it hit the tailift it just slid,not worth the hassle

truckman020:
Iv’e done Sainsbury’s and Tesco’s,both good work if you get your class1,also done Iceland,would not recommend them at all,real hard graft,nearly lost a trolley off the back one day because it’s coming from the trailer all frozen,soon as it hit the tailift it just slid,not worth the hassle

Was that through agency?

halewood:
Try Asda at Burtonwood.

Tongue in cheek !! :smiley:

bald bloke:

halewood:
Try Asda at Burtonwood.

Tongue in cheek !! :smiley:

Ahh… :smiley:

If you’re in Brum, I’d opt for Sainsbury’s at Hams Hall. Better firm to work for than Tesco imho

Aldi or Lidl distribution centre opening at jcn 9 Wednesbury, Tesco Fradley depends which side of Brum you live, Sainsburys,I think, on Hams Hall

Class 1 supermarket work is ace. You get to heave away at overloaded cages with knackered wheels and if you are really lucky you get a pump truck to drag overloaded pallets onto your tail lift to spin round without falling off.

The wagons are all top of the range with aircon, fridges and microwaves and the start times and days are fantastic. Mon-Fri 8am starts is the norm.

Pay is astronomical and you will never work weekends and bank holidays and start before 7am.

(Only kidding folks…it’s absolute w@nk) :bulb:

pete smith:
Aldi or Lidl distribution centre opening at jcn 9 Wednesbury, Tesco Fradley depends which side of Brum you live, Sainsburys,I think, on Hams Hall

Ah yes, I believe that’s lidl. I’m in North Birmingham so J9 not too far away, I may go and ask and see what my chances are :laughing:

Plenty of pallet hubs / firms near you for trunk runs. Dead easy work not that hard to get in to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Iandrummer81:

bald bloke:
Where are you based ?

Probably should’ve mentioned :smiley: - Birmingham

sainsbugs @ HamsHall? :grimacing:

UselessForce:
Plenty of pallet hubs / firms near you for trunk runs. Dead easy work not that hard to get in to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From memory (did a bit of trunking for APC couple of years ago), speaking English was not required. Is that still the case?

Cheers folks for the replies.

It maybe worth asking at some of these places people have mentioned, I’m planning on doing my class one in 2-3 months.

I’ve had a look at some jobs for class one and many seem to want you to have held the licence for a year or two, rather than actual experience… Is this a sign thats the jobs crap, or there maybe a slight shortage of drivers? Or both? :open_mouth:

eagerbeaver:
Class 1 supermarket work is ace. You get to heave away at overloaded cages with knackered wheels and if you are really lucky you get a pump truck to drag overloaded pallets onto your tail lift to spin round without falling off.

The wagons are all top of the range with aircon, fridges and microwaves and the start times and days are fantastic. Mon-Fri 8am starts is the norm.

Pay is astronomical and you will never work weekends and bank holidays and start before 7am.

(Only kidding folks…it’s absolute w@nk) :bulb:

You missed off the 6 months full sick pay at average hours, the 16 lieu days I accumulated last year plus all the annual leave again at average pay, the in house gym, the full on canteen open 24/7, showers, share save, pension etc etc.

And what’s all this tipping on a tail lift with a pallet truck about ■■