Class one paid for and a job - coalville

I have a contact with an operator who is willing to pay for training for 2 or 3 folks provided they work for him for a given length of time (perfectly normal).

I don’t know much about the work, but I know it’s recycling using walking floor trailers. The job is in Coalville.

The operator is willing to pay us to train these drivers from scratch or from CAT C.

Anyone interested could pm me and I’ll put you in touch with the operator. You will need to send your cv and a letter to sell yourself. If the operator is impressed, then he will ask you in for interview. From there, if successful, the training will be organised.

To the best of my knowledge there’s nothing “iffy” about this. I wouldn’t get involved if I thought there was.

Please don’t ask me any questions as I’ve told you all I know!

What have you to loose by applying?

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Sounds like a good offer Peter, I’m assuming the work will be tramping / nights out otherwise would have been right up my street.

Hopefully it will bring a few good folk a helping hand

And posters here try to tell you there’s no driver shortage.

Anyway, well done Pete, you must have a solid reputation out there in the world of transport for operators to be putting work like this your way, operators finding good results from your training?

Don’t mind me asking (fully understand if you’d rather not comment), but should a prospective for one of these jobs not be the right material, shall we say, would you be expected to speak with your client about continuing training…bearing in mind your reputation etc?

Juddian:

:unamused:

You used to be post some good content - it’s a shame that you gave up to start posting rubbish. Any company that will pay an outsider to get them drivers is not worth a ■■■■ and simply demonstrates that they are a crap place to work for and can’t keep hold of drivers for whatever reason(s). Even more so if they’re paying to take on completely fresh inexperienced drivers :open_mouth: . That has absolutely nothing to do with this completely fabricated “driver shortage” that we keep getting told about.

Carl Usher:

Juddian:

You used to be post some good content - it’s a shame that you gave up to start posting rubbish. Any company that will pay an outsider to get them drivers is not worth a [zb] and simply demonstrates that they are a crap place to work for and can’t keep hold of drivers for whatever reason(s). Even more so if they’re paying to take on completely fresh inexperienced drivers :open_mouth: . That has absolutely nothing to do with this completely fabricated “driver shortage” that we keep getting told about.

I disagree regarding the can’t keep drivers statement. It could simply be a case that the company is showing that they are willing to invest in their drivers.

As you say it could also mean that they aren’t paying good wages or with good conditions but as we all know the cost of going from car to C+E doesn’t come cheap so represents a decent investment.

Obviously there will be some tie ins involved in the scheme, IE repayment of x amount if leaving within x period of time but if worked properly could be a good opportunity for people.

NickW88:

Carl Usher:

Juddian:

You used to be post some good content - it’s a shame that you gave up to start posting rubbish. Any company that will pay an outsider to get them drivers is not worth a [zb] and simply demonstrates that they are a crap place to work for and can’t keep hold of drivers for whatever reason(s). Even more so if they’re paying to take on completely fresh inexperienced drivers :open_mouth: . That has absolutely nothing to do with this completely fabricated “driver shortage” that we keep getting told about.

I disagree regarding the can’t keep drivers statement. It could simply be a case that the company is showing that they are willing to invest in their drivers.

As you say it could also mean that they aren’t paying good wages or with good conditions but as we all know the cost of going from car to C+E doesn’t come cheap so represents a decent investment.

Obviously there will be some tie ins involved in the scheme, IE repayment of x amount if leaving within x period of time but if worked properly could be a good opportunity for people.

You might be right, but I work on the ‘if it looks, walks and quacks like a duck, then it’ll be a duck’ basis and it hasn’t failed me yet.

I know where you’re coming from mate, I am partly sceptical myself, but only having C at the minute I’m tempted to contact them to find out the ins and outs of it all so I can see for myself wether it is a good deal or not. It would probably be better if the prospective employer were to Coke on here and post details about the offer.

Lack of details tends to breed scepticism, but st the same time I fully understand the employer wanting direct contact for details with the potential candidates to make sure they are what they are looking for. As long as they are up front from the start about wages terms and expectations then everyone is safe

Any company that will pay an outsider to get them drivers is not worth a [zb] and simply demonstrates that they are a crap place to work for and can’t keep hold of drivers for whatever reason(s). Even more so if they’re paying to take on completely fresh inexperienced drivers :open_mouth: . That has absolutely nothing to do with this completely fabricated “driver shortage” that we keep getting told about.

Clearly posted by an industry expert - there’s always one!

I’m assuming the work will be tramping / nights out

Why?

Peter Smythe:

Why?

He drives a BMW Pete, enough said! :laughing:

Peter Smythe:

Why?

most of the walking floor drivers that I have encountered have been on tramping work, not many tend to operate days I don’t think.

Evil8Beezle:

Peter Smythe:

Why?

He drives a BMW Pete, enough said! :laughing:

I prefer the term pilot than drive lol

Drove a left ■■■■■■ half can yesterday, that was funny!

NickW88:
Drove a left ■■■■■■ half can yesterday, that was funny!

What’s a half can? :open_mouth:
And I’ve yet to drive a left ■■■■■■, or a ■■■■■■ when I think about it! :laughing:

Anyway, well done Pete, you must have a solid reputation out there in the world of transport for operators to be putting work like this your way, operators finding good results from your training?

Don’t mind me asking (fully understand if you’d rather not comment), but should a prospective for one of these jobs not be the right material, shall we say, would you be expected to speak with your client about continuing training…bearing in mind your reputation etc?

We have worked directly for many operators for the last 30 years with consistently more than satisfactory results. This has often been family members, drivers mates, warehouse operatives who are moving onto driving. But there is a trend coming where, because there IS a driver shortage, operators are training new starters to go straight into driving. Indeed, a few of the major operators have opened their own “driving academies” do achieve just this. To be clear, there is no shortage of licence holders. But there is a shortage of licence holders with initiative and get up and go. And operators have clicked that, if they get the right person, the added qualities will sometimes help outweigh the lack of experience. (BTW the jobs on offer in this thread include a period of on the job training with an experienced driver as well).

Whenever we train for a third party, we are duty bound to make it clear if someone isn’t making the grade. Or that, with additional training they will be fine. The number of untrainable folks is miniscule.

We have had huge contracts over the years carrying out this type of training and so, to us, this is nothing new.

From what I know, there’s nothing to be sceptical about with this offer. Imagine the slating I’d end up if it went wrong.

most of the walking floor drivers that I have encountered have been on tramping work, not many tend to operate days I don’t think

OK. But beware of assumptions.

I just don’t know. You may be right. Or not.

Juddian:

There isn’t a national driver shortage,however there are regional driver shortages in particular areas of the country.

Peter Smythe:

most of the walking floor drivers that I have encountered have been on tramping work, not many tend to operate days I don’t think

OK. But beware of assumptions.

I just don’t know. You may be right. Or not.

I’m generally wrong Pete, we both know that! Haha

Peter Smythe:
We have worked directly for many operators for the last 30 years with consistently more than satisfactory results. This has often been family members, drivers mates, warehouse operatives who are moving onto driving. But there is a trend coming where, because there IS a driver shortage

Hmm. Let’s see here. Driver training company posting that there is a driver shortage? And you expect us to believe that? No vested interests here at all…! No sirree! :unamused:

operators are training new starters to go straight into driving. Indeed, a few of the major operators have opened their own “driving academies” do achieve just this. To be clear, there is no shortage of licence holders. But there is a shortage of licence holders with initiative and get up and go.

Rubbish. The reason why those licence holders don’t have any “get up and go” is because there are no jobs on offer with attractive pay/terms that are worth “getting up and going” for. Put the rates up to £15/hr across the board for PAYE and this fabricated “driver shortage” would disappear overnight without there being any need for fresh blood.

What a great offer, someone should snap it up. Yeah sometimes you start with a crap job but does anyone know if this job is or not. It’s just hearsay from other (drivers) on here,

I’m sure Pete knows all about this firm and the job on offer

This offer is win, win, win. Subject to the terms on offer obviously.

It’s a win for PSTT as it gets more bums on seats for him, it’s a win for the company as they can mould a new recruit into their working practices, without the added life skepticism that a time served BS merchant of a driver can offer. But it’s also a win for the driver too, you can get a leg up here and see what’s on offer with very little risk to your own finances. Even if the job is duff, you have a license after the agreed period to walk away with.

As for Carl’s postulation that if £15/hour was on offer there would be no shortage of drivers, I agree. But the simple fact is very few drivers I see everyday are worth £15. So they don’t get paid it.

If you want money in this game, you need to work out what you can offer your employer that other drivers can’t. And then do it.