Class II work in America

This may be a stupid question, but does anyone know if its possible for me to get work in America with a Class II + ADR, and then take the relevant tests out their to upgrade my licence
S

:slight_smile: Very unlikely, unless you marry an American. You’d be better off trying Canada, upgrade to artics, then you’d almost certainly go to the states from there, anyway.

You can’t drive trucks in America on a European LGV licence. You would have to do some training over there and take the American CDL test (Commercial Drivers Licence).

European ADR doesn’t carry any weight either.

Your experience over here might help, but not much unless you have several years of documented European work.

Have a look in the Ex-Pats forum. Several of them are in America and Canada so will be in a better position to help.

I looked into this last year for class 1 driving.
You would have to

1. Actually get a job first.
    This would require a) Approaching a company. b) The company would have to convince their local immigration office that they needed you for the job and couldn’t find an American to fill the vacancy. c) They’d have to send you the official signed document via email.
  2. Wtih this document you then apply for your visa which, if its a non immigration visa, gives you 6 months in America.
  3. Do CDL (commercial drivers license, equvalent to our HGV) training and pass that test.
  4. Double man trucks until you’ve accrued enough hours to drive on your own.

Alternatively you could apply to any Canadian advert on the internet and get accomodation, a job within weeks with only having their test to pass. They’re specifically recruiting british truck drivers and its a hell of a lot easier than America. Also, its worth pointing out, if you have just one crash in America in a truck it makes you virtually unemployable. This is no joke. I did a lot of research and also hung out on an American drivers chatroom for a while asking all sorts.

I read somewhere that America a a bit picky about who drives trucks over there. Something to do with 9/11 and terrorists and all that.
Hope this helps,
Regards,
Steve.

Thanks for your advice, I’m now off look over the internet for positions