Class c after learning to drive a car

Hello all,
I am going to get my car driving license and planning to get my classic driving license afterwards.I wonder how many years or months car driving experience is good for me before I try to get class c license.

Thank you in advance.

ccie0007:
Hello all,
I am going to get my car driving license and planning to get my classic driving license afterwards.I wonder how many years or months car driving experience is good for me before I try to get class c license.

Thank you in advance.

Pass car at age 17 and 11 months then go for LGV C then CE at age 18 = no problem if you are good enough … only an assessment will determine that

You will lose nothing by getting the medical and provisional sorted early

As ROG said, if you’re good enough there’s nothing stopping you. In fact, back in the day, we used to train folks with no car licence straight through to Class 1 (CE). Add to that the numbers of bus conductors that have been trained to drive buses who have never held a car licence previously and the evidence is clear.

If you want to do it, fill ya boots and get it done.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Thank you guys for the encouraging replies .

I thought you had to of held a car licence for 2 years before you could do hgv, at least that’s what I heard

I thought you had to of held a car licence for 2 years before you could do hgv, at least that’s what I heard

No, not so. Must hold a full car licence before getting the LGV provisional but not for any specific length of time.

Remember that 18 year olds can gain LGV which wouldn’t be possible if the 2 year rule was correct.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

but would not 2 years be good driving experience before taking into HGV driving or driving as job/driving at motorway etc.Or is it 1 year driving experience is ok for HGV job?

ccie0007:
but would not 2 years be good driving experience before taking into HGV driving or driving as job/driving at motorway etc.Or is it 1 year driving experience is ok for HGV job?

Your question has already been answered. At the end of the day there is no legal required minimum of driving experience before you take your Cat C test, it just comes down to your confidence and ability.

Ok mate got it.

You can only pass your HGV licence under the age of 21 if you are in the forces.

Have a look here.

gov.uk/vehicles-you-can-dri … orry/18-20

Eat My BB:
You can only pass your HGV licence under the age of 21 if you are in the forces.

Have a look here.

You can drive HGVs at the age of 18 if you do the Driver Initial CPC.

It’s a weird kind of EU rule, they raised the age limit and at the same time lowered it to 18 for anyone who does the DCPC, as the DCPC is required for anyone who wishes to drive commercially anyway the 21 age limit won’t affect many people.

tachograph:

Eat My BB:

Have a look here.

It’s a weird kind of EU rule, they raised the age limit and at the same time lowered it to 18 for anyone who does the DCPC, as the DCPC is required for anyone who wishes to drive commercially anyway the 21 age limit won’t affect many people.

I didn’t know that it changed in 2009.
So how come on the gov website it still says 21?

Gov websites are notorious for giving out of date info or for missing key words

Well I best tell my neighbour that I was wrong and he can do his hgv now opps :stuck_out_tongue:

Eat My BB:

tachograph:

Eat My BB:

Have a look here.

I didn’t know that it changed in 2009.
So how come on the gov website it still says 21?

The .gov website is OK but not always necessarily the best organised website for finding information.

I can’t say what’s on that site is wrong because the age limit for HGVs is 21, but it’s lowered to 18 for anyone who does the DCPC which is regarded as an additional qualification to the HGV driving test.

If anyone wanted to drive an HGV for private use before the age of 21 they would have two options 1. wait until they’re 21 or 2. do the initial DCPC.

tachograph:
If anyone wanted to drive an HGV for private use before the age of 21 they would have two options 1. wait until they’re 21 or 2. do the initial DCPC.

to add - that is for LGVs of category C and above only

Many of the private horsebox fraternity do the Cat C test then only drive C1s when under age 21 so they do not need dcpc

Driving a lorry soon after passing your car test will give you a very good understanding on how your driving a car can impact other road users

ccie0007:

Although it’s legal to take the HGV test as soon as you learn to drive I personally would not recommend it, you should have at-least a year or two car driving experience before taking a large vehicle on the roads.