Class 2

Passed my Cat C with 7 minors.
Felt like I definitely failed , yet somehow passed. :smiley:
Very Stressful, glad it is over.
Examiner seemed like a proper serious guy as well.
Went through an amber light, changed lanes for no real reason on independent drive and got told by examiner to change lanes, pulled out on a busy roundabout while other vehicles were there( to be fair they were in the inner lane.) Was going quite slow in a lot of the areas. Yet I passed.
Examiner took me through at least 5, 7.5ton weight limits.

Probably the worst drive I have had. Nailed the reverse exercise throughout training, had a practice 20mins before the test and I couldn’t do it, hit the cones twice. ■■■■ knows what was going through my head. Managed to do the reverse during test was cm’s from hitting the cones. I usually park the trucks on the bay at work which is tight to 2 trucks either side and one right in front so usually need a few shunts for it to go in, tight as ■■■■. Test nerves I guess.
Kinda funny as I clipped a cars mirrors on training and my own mirrors on a sign post while training. Yet, my instructor did not get annoyed or even raised his voice once.

Glad I don’t have to do that again.
I highly recommend Roadtrain in Thurrock. All their instructors are DVSA approved and are extremely professional. Sorry if my writing is poor, slightly drunk.

Just Mod 2, Mod 4 and a week of CPC and I can drive professionally.

Congratulations on the pass, sounds like you had a bit of a mare but I bet in 90% of cases a fail for anyone would be caused by nerves. If we were assessed in the form of learning progression throughout the 2 or 4 days people would be a lot less nervous of it all.

Congratulations, well done!

Well done Adam! Are you staying class 2, or do you have plans on â– â– â– â– â–  growth and going for class 1?

eagerbeaver:
Well done Adam! Are you staying class 2, or do you have plans on â– â– â– â– â–  growth and going for class 1?

I don’t know yet, I’d like a nice new car or motorbike more then a extra bit of ink on my licence at the moment. I will get Class 1, think I’m gonna give 7.5t work a go for a bit though.

I’d like to point out this is my 2nd test. I went with a company 2 years ago who were not DVSA approved and just got shouted at for a week and asked if I had learning difficulties. When he wasn’t shouting at me he was either on his phone or at the cafe. If you want to learn to drive a truck I highly recommend you go with a company that has DVSA approved instructors.

well done mate, now you get to go thru it all over again for class 1

:smiley: :smiley:

I highly recommend you go with a company that has DVSA approved instructors.

This is the list of DVSA Accredited Training Schools in the UK. dft.gov.uk/fyn/lgv.php

One of the many requirements of accreditation is the undertaking to employ DVSA instructors.

In an industry where the norm is to have an untrained, unqualified person sat in the passenger seat, this provides some quality assurance - - as the OP has pointed out.

It’s also a fact that the pass rates are IRO 20% higher than the national average.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

It’s a shame that this industry is so unregulated.
When I took motorcycle training I got told all instructors are required to undertake training, yet with a HGV that can weigh upto 44ton more than a bike no training is required to teach people how to drive them.

Anyway, got my Mod 2 next month, had to move the date due to the DVSA upgrading my licence, already sent off for tacho. then Once I pass Mod 2, gonna book Mod 4… Probably gonna be at least 2 months before I can drive on the road.

Well done Adam, I though I’d got a few minors but passed with none! The mod 4 was worst tho, I kept waffling and the examiner pulled me back a few times, think I passed that by the skin of my teeth. Anyway relax and breathe and maybe have a beer!

This thread has helped me I am thinking of doing my traInning this year and picked road train as a place where I was gonna do a assesment drive so it is good to see it from someone that has done there training

Ryan14:
This thread has helped me I am thinking of doing my traInning this year and picked road train as a place where I was gonna do a assesment drive so it is good to see it from someone that has done there training

Fantastic. I assume you are in the Essex area.
I took my first test almost 2 years ago with RSM in Basildon as they were the closest and I just didn’t click with my instructor as a result I didn’t learn a great deal. Imo they weren’t very professional either. That being said it was probably down to me and the instructor not clicking, he didn’t seem sure on the best way to train me and I was just getting ■■■■■■ off with the way he was training me. The day of the test I had someone else and he was great. Learnt more in the 2 hours training before the test then the previous 4 days training.
The difference between RSM and Roadtrain are huge them being a DVSA approved school. Also you take your test in the Roadtrain yard. As with PSTT the place you do your reverese training during your training is where you do it on your test. With RSM you can only sit outside the yard and look at the test centre.

adam277:
Just Mod 2, Mod 4 and a week of CPC and I can drive professionally.

Why mods 2 & 4 and a week of CPC?

Congratulations as well.

Héraultais:
Why mods 2 & 4 and a week of CPC?

That is a good point - you don’t need a week of CPC if you’ve done mod2 and mod4 as they cover it then you get your card.

Well done on passing class C / 2 or whatever they call it this week, and crossing fingers for you on the job front after that also!

Must admit, Peter always seems to get the praise when it comes to the people on here (unless he’s got a secret mind control machine), so really got to think about doing class 1 with him sometime as it has to be safer than someone random.

adam277:

Ryan14:

Fantastic. I assume you are in the Essex area.
I took my first test almost 2 years ago with RSM in Basildon as they were the closest and I just didn’t click with my instructor as a result I didn’t learn a great deal. Imo they weren’t very professional either. That being said it was probably down to me and the instructor not clicking, he didn’t seem sure on the best way to train me and I was just getting ■■■■■■ off with the way he was training me. The day of the test I had someone else and he was great. Learnt more in the 2 hours training before the test then the previous 4 days training.
The difference between RSM and Roadtrain are huge them being a DVSA approved school. Also you take your test in the Roadtrain yard. As with PSTT the place you do your reverese training during your training is where you do it on your test. With RSM you can only sit outside the yard and look at the test centre.

Yes I am in the Essex area and it better to learn the surrounds your be in for the test before you have the test and how long does the assessment drive take? 30mins or so? I am decently gonna go with a dsa approved school for the reassureance aswell

Well done Adam… Whoop wool… Congrats

It does sound like you had quite a test though… I do my rests in 2 weeks time and am hoping the nerves don’t get in the way this time…one silly mistake causing me to break harshly and I failed… I got to get it right next time. I have done all my theories already and have mod 4 booked in the day before my retest and already have my digicard… Not that I want to drive rigids… But have been given the opportunity to drive on L plates in an arttic with my partner once I have my cat c…

Let us know how you get on with the CPC… Although I’m not sure why you are having to do mod 2 & 4 plus a week… It one or the other as far as I’m aware?

Congrats again

I’m probably not gonna do the whole week. Gonna do the day for tachos though.
Also I’m in no rush to get a job so the cpc training should all be banked. I might be wrong but if I do the whole week the CPC card should last me 10 years instead of 5 and as a new driver the CPC training might be more relevant to me now then in 5 years time when I’ve already learnt it all.

I’m not sure about C+E yet. I want to get the licence but not sure I’d want to drive one everyday as it will be a lot of motorway driving. (Which I find very boring)