Class 2 work that isnt soul crushing?

i 100% agree with luke :open_mouth: :smiley: , i started out with a family co many years ago and they taught me all i needed too know to progress in the industry… good luck to ya mate :wink:

well done . Aways wanted to try the powder tanks / tipping tanks . Enjoy and learn .

switchlogic:

Carryfast:
Have you thought for one second that being requested specifically by an agency client and told so on the basis of being well suited to a decent job that I liked doing, being promised my job back at Carryfast after a temporary layoff with no loss of service time, being phoned by an employer’s son apologising about a row I had with his Dad about being expected to do multi collections of steel in the Midlands and multi drop it in London in a shift among other issues asking if I’d reconsider walking away ironically like the agency in question all referred back to the Carryfast offer.Not to be confused with the UPS fiasco on their part after the unfortunate buyout.
Although even in that case UPS ain’t in the habit of throwing the keys of A frame drawbar outfits to idiots who can’t drive or for that matter forgiving, let alone promoting, anyone for ditching a wagon.

I’ve a feeling we only know the tip of the ice burg when it comes to your chaotically crap career :smiley:

Nope I’ve told it exactly as it was.
If you subtract the crap thrown at me working on agency for a while and the worst of the work on the council like ‘depot duties’ which formed around less than half of it, and UPS selectively losing the plot as to the job description of a trunk driver in the case of Carryfast v Seabourne, it wasn’t a half bad career.
Bearing in mind that the foreign holiday car trips which it paid for took me places where few if any of the few Brit international running trucks ventured.In all those miles and all those places I could usually count on less than two hands how many Brit reg trucks I saw.Ironically sometimes more Russian ones on Yugoslav trips.
The latest trip absolutely none at all beyond Benelux.Although it was great to see that A frame drawbars are still a large feature of the German and Swiss scene including some German, Scandinavian type, LHVs which like NZ to me are the mark of a forward thinking flourishing road transport industry.
That is my point lack of opportunity in the Brit scene and unluckily it was a career which could have been far far better given the right type of environment certainly not found here.
Good luck to the OP but if it was me I would have asked the question as to distances run and by implication the driving component of the job depending on his definition of soul crushing and if it matches mine.

Carryfast:
Bearing in mind that the foreign holiday car trips which it paid for took me places where few if any of the few Brit international running trucks ventured.In all those miles and all those places I could usually count on less than two hands how many Brit reg trucks

Why does that matter? You were on a “holiday” when off in your car wherever that was, any British truck/driver driving round Europe would have been working and on runs that were profitable for the company they were driving for. You seem to think the UK haulage industry exists purely for you to treat it as a giant holiday rather than a business for them.

tierbirdy:
Well cheers for all the advice on where to look, thankfully its now no longer needed! :grimacing: Still not entirely sure how, but managed to get a job as a class 1 bulk cement powder tanker driver starting next week. I feel this is something Im vastly under-qualified to do! Small-ish local family run firm willing to take on a new pass and train me up which is exactly what I was hoping for, rather than being bounced around by agencies and left to fend for myself.

Does feel a bit like being thrown in at the deep end for a first class 1 role, compared to something like general haulage or supermarket RDC trunking which I (perhaps incorrectly) assume is a bit more forgiving for a newbie, but I’m well up for the challenge.

Great news!
I’m thinking (maybe naively) that powder will be easier than liquid tankers.
Please do let us know how it goes. [emoji3]

tmcassett:

Carryfast:
Bearing in mind that the foreign holiday car trips which it paid for took me places where few if any of the few Brit international running trucks ventured.In all those miles and all those places I could usually count on less than two hands how many Brit reg trucks

Why does that matter? You were on a “holiday” when off in your car wherever that was, any British truck/driver driving round Europe would have been working and on runs that were profitable for the company they were driving for. You seem to think the UK haulage industry exists purely for you to treat it as a giant holiday rather than a business for them.

I’m clearly saying that it’s all about the driving and travel in all cases.
The UK transport industry equally clearly has an over subscribed lack of opportunity in that regard which can only get worse with its institutionalised hostility to distance operations.As opposed to foreign haulage operators.
So I drove throughout Europe privately.How do you conflate that with unprofitably for an employer given a truck not a car and with my preference for the payload advantages of the drawbar configuration.

You’d still have seen much more in the right job. Sadly for you if a job is not on your doorstep it seems it’s a big conspiracy to halt your dreams.

stu675:
Great news!

Both will have their difficulties; a tipping powder tank is a bit of a beast in windy weather, pressurised discharge can be a danger - compared to the gravity discharge of a liquid tanker - powder can generate a lot of static electricity.
If tankers interest you, you might enjoy reading this
ndgtc.co.uk/Tanker%20Training%20Handout.pdf

Well done :slight_smile:
Enjoy the new job, let us know how you find it.

Carryfast:
The UK transport industry equally clearly has an over subscribed lack of opportunity in that regard which can only get worse with its institutionalised hostility to distance operations.As opposed to foreign haulage operators.

Or maybe for a lot of them it’s not financially viable or profitable so they don’t do it. Do you think they should just start running all over Europe because a failed truck driver from the South East want’s to live out his fantasy of being an extra in Convoy.

Carryfast:
So I drove throughout Europe privately.How do you conflate that with unprofitably for an employer

Are you really that stupid to be asking that question■■? No don’t answer, its a rhetorical question that I already know the answer to. :unamused: :unamused:

Zac_A:

stu675:
Great news!

Both will have their difficulties; a tipping powder tank is a bit of a beast in windy weather, pressurised discharge can be a danger - compared to the gravity discharge of a liquid tanker - powder can generate a lot of static electricity.
If tankers interest you, you might enjoy reading this
ndgtc.co.uk/Tanker%20Training%20Handout.pdf

Thanks for that[emoji106]
I was thinking about the driving rather than the loading. Must be getting like CF, just wanting to drive and not deal with it when you get there. [emoji15]