Class 2 work that isnt soul crushing?

tmcassett:

Star down under.:

tmcassett:
It’s what people who fail at things do SDU, always look to pass the blame rather than accept that you yourself might be at fault. Virtually anyone who is successful or achieves anything in life no matter how big or small will have some degree of failure along the way. Those who fail to realise this (no pun intended) will probably never achieve their goal.

Carryfast’s greatest achievement, so he wasn’t a complete failure. :laughing:

Maybe we should all lay off him now as he has achieved. :smiley:

That ball is squarely in his court. If he stops making inane statements, we’ll have no cause to comment.

Drayman - it’s graft, but it’s a hoot!

Sent from my SM-A415F using Tapatalk

Nobody has stated it yet, but if it’s class 1 you’re looking for and you already have the entitlement. Why not try getting a class 2 job at a company that uses both? Then once you’ve demonstrated your ability to drive a class 2 you may be able to get ‘promoted’ up.

PA22:
Nobody has stated it yet, but if it’s class 1 you’re looking for and you already have the entitlement. Why not try getting a class 2 job at a company that uses both? Then once you’ve demonstrated your ability to drive a class 2 you may be able to get ‘promoted’ up.

Thats how I got my first class 1 gig. Was on buses for years, did class 2 then 1 in quick succession, within about 4 weeks. Got on a pallet firm on a 26tonner, agency. After a month or so overheard the boss saying they were going to have to get an agency in on Saturday morning to do an overspill trunk run to the hub and back. “Hey boss, I’ve got a class1” Have you? didnt know that. Fancy a bit of cash without the agency knowing :wink: Did a couple of Saturday morning hub runs and as we were expanding and had a unit parked up all day (only did the night trunks) he went out and hired me an urban tail lift to free up the 26Tonner I had.

Truth is class 1 work is just as soul crushing as class 2.

People tend to glorify it here because they prefer being stuck on the M25/M6 for hours on end or stuck on a loading bay for hours over having to put in some manual labor.
Personally for me, I prefer the graft to sat in the cab watching ■■■■ on my phone or stuck in a drivers waiting room.

I really do not get how people enjoy driving these days to be honest. Maybe it is better up North. But down south your constantly ■■■■■■ by the M25 and even if your not on the M25 chances are traffic is ■■■■. Yea, there are areas that it is not too bad. But they are gradually getting just as bad.
But heck maybe over in the EU it is still pretty good.

I tell you what my ideal job is 1-3 hour drive and unloading a double decker full of cages and returning back to the yard for another run. Loading empties are a pain in the ■■■ but it is exercise. Sure I’d also love to do EU work as well but it does not pay any better. I am not sure why either. Maybe because it is a great gig so people jump at the chance for it so wages don’t need to be any higher.

#rant over
But try to enjoy your job. If your boss is on your back because your not going fast enough get another job. But if your boss does not care how long you take then just take your time pulling some 500kg pallet up that gravel path. Take a cig break or whatever makes you happy.

Also I was recently doing supermarket work in a class 1. The drops are even more tighter in a class 1 compared to a class 2. Heck driving a class 2 I have never had a single issue getting into a bay or wherever it needs to go. feels like driving a van.
With a class 1. Try doing a blindside reverse from the main road blocking both sides of the road while you reverse into a gap so tight you can barely opening your door to get out once you finally get in.

ok rant over now for real.

Definitely the tippers if you can get a chance on them, just remember you don’t need to drive them like everybody else does, as if they haven’t got 1 second to lose.

Some tipper jobs can be one hitters were as others you might be doing 2 or 3 drops per day while others will have you running backwards and forwards doing 10 plus drops very local to your loading point.

Either way it’s all very easy work, no handball whatsoever, loading normally takes 2 or 3 minutes via a loading shovel and unloading normally takes seconds, hassle free work.

As far as courses go, look at getting clamshell grab to be more appealing for muck away companies.

I’ve done all the soul destroying class 2 work before, 700kg plus of gravel or paving slabs on pallets trying to get them over rough tarmac roads, or overloaded cages full of tins with a dodgy wheel or carrying 25kg sacks of potatoes up 3 flights of stairs to upstairs restaurants and canteens, none of them I class as driving jobs, not really.

Delivery of heating oil to homes in the country side using 18T and 26T tankers would be another thing to look at but you would need ADR and also the work can be very seasonal.

Tipper work = unbreakable loads, Kelsas and matador spears. :smiley:

My fear with tipper work is the horror stories of having to spend hours with a shovel by myself digging out several tonnes of something thats gotten wet or for some reason just wont shift :stuck_out_tongue: Or is that something that rarely happens? The idea of turning up at a quarry/aggregates plant and getting loaded up by someone else, then driving off and just dumping it somewhere, is very appealing.

The class 2 tankers doing home delivery is something I saw and liked the idea of, not sure what the reality of it entails.

Once of the lads Im working with at the moment recently left to go to LPG bottle delivery work and reckons its better pay & more social hours, but also needs ADR and has what sounds like a hideous amount of handball involved, lifting dozens of 80kg+ bottles on and off by yourself without a tail lift doesnt sound like much fun.

Really I think its the multidrop & reload bit that Im hating more than anything else. 8-10 drops, back to reload, out for another 8-10. Id much rather do one or two big deliveries than faff about trying to find one pallet and a buried cage in among all the rest, then have to juggle the returning empties around getting in the way at all the other deliveries. I also hate loading my own pallets, fannying around with roll cages and milk runners that dont want to cooperate, if I wanted to be a warehouse worker Id have gone to work in a warehouse.

tierbirdy:
Really I think its the multidrop & reload bit that Im hating more than anything else. 8-10 drops, back to reload, out for another 8-10. Id much rather do one or two big deliveries than faff about trying to find one pallet and a buried cage in among all the rest, then have to juggle the returning empties around getting in the way at all the other deliveries. I also hate loading my own pallets, fannying around with roll cages and milk runners that dont want to cooperate, if I wanted to be a warehouse worker Id have gone to work in a warehouse.

You seem…

Conscientious, hard working, experienced, diligent and credit to yourself. No doubt you’ll go the extra mile and help out when and where you can.

Most larger places will see this as a win for themselves only. You’ll never be allocated different jobs because you’re so good at the ones you’re already doing.

The world ■■■■■ like this sometimes.

tmcassett:

Carryfast:
One of the best jobs , or even the best job, I ever did was agency work driving a four wheeler curtain sider throughout Southern/South Western England all pallet work all forklifted and 3 drops per shift, more often 2, and maximum driving time.No surprise everyone wanted it and no one wanted the crap and found myself taken off it for ‘some’ reason after the client said they wanted me on it permanently.

Translates as no-one else available so they had to use you, as soon as someone without an appalling attitude turned up they got the gig.

Carryfast:
Strange how SDU and co haven’t flamed you for daring to tell the weaponised ‘experience’ thing that infests the industry like it is.

Ah yes the old “face fits” conundrum, that only ever affected … well, you!

Carryfast:
Which can only get worse as the UK industry degenerates into the planned 1930’s style local distribution service contained in the plan for rail.
In which case there’s now as much if not more chance of finding the ‘right’ work in the non HGV sectors.

Still banging this drum because you could not land a job doing such work, while “everyone” else did. I work with guys now who drove trucks abroad back in the day and did not even want to! So how you failed so badly still baffles me.

He never could explain how I ended up doing Euro work that I didn’t really want and never asked for , it’s been mentioned a few times but as yet the oracle has no explanation that fits round the "poor me " agenda .

As for the OP - I notice you keep saying your “applying” for jobs - no harm in that but have you actually gone out , hunted down haulage yards and gone in , introduced yourself and told someone that your looking a job ? CV’s are easy to glace over and not really get a picture of the person , standing there with your boots,hivis on , ready to go if necessary creates and better picture - heres someone who bothered to find us , and came looking to see what we are about . That leaves a more memorable impression than being one of 30 or 40 CV’s in a pile on a desk somewhere .

See if there is a cabin company near you. Class 2 but occasionally drag on as well so making use of your class 1 ticket. Best bit is its usually 1 delivery and 1 collection on way home.

Theres a ■■■■ load of class 1 who’ll take new passes but if you really don’t want to run around doing physical work your restricting your opportunities to gain experience. I done palletised multidrop class 1 and couldn’t stand all the waiting around. I now do class 1 store work exactly what you hate andI love the break up of driving and physical work pushing cages along cobbles, up kerbs etc and the moneys great. Where are you located?

Harry Monk:
If you can find Class 2 work for a pallet network company that will mostly be forked off.

Yes - I did this for several years before retiring. Deliveries in the morning, collections in the afternoon. many of them regulars and it pays to get some kind of rapport with the guys on the back doors.

As Harry says, everything (by definition) is on a pallet and gets taken off with a FLT. You do get the odd handball job but more than one a week would be rare. No square-wheeled trolleys, no temperature controls, your job stops at the loading dock or the kerb, and if you have the right attitude, you can usually get past the occasional wannabe cop on a gate who thinks you should have an appointment LOL.

beefy4605:

tmcassett:

Carryfast:
One of the best jobs , or even the best job, I ever did was agency work driving a four wheeler curtain sider throughout Southern/South Western England all pallet work all forklifted and 3 drops per shift, more often 2, and maximum driving time.No surprise everyone wanted it and no one wanted the crap and found myself taken off it for ‘some’ reason after the client said they wanted me on it permanently.

Translates as no-one else available so they had to use you, as soon as someone without an appalling attitude turned up they got the gig.

Carryfast:
Strange how SDU and co haven’t flamed you for daring to tell the weaponised ‘experience’ thing that infests the industry like it is.

Ah yes the old “face fits” conundrum, that only ever affected … well, you!

Carryfast:
Which can only get worse as the UK industry degenerates into the planned 1930’s style local distribution service contained in the plan for rail.
In which case there’s now as much if not more chance of finding the ‘right’ work in the non HGV sectors.

Still banging this drum because you could not land a job doing such work, while “everyone” else did. I work with guys now who drove trucks abroad back in the day and did not even want to! So how you failed so badly still baffles me.

He never could explain how I ended up doing Euro work that I didn’t really want and never asked for , it’s been mentioned a few times but as yet the oracle has no explanation that fits round the "poor me " agenda .

Have you thought for one second that being requested specifically by an agency client and told so on the basis of being well suited to a decent job that I liked doing, being promised my job back at Carryfast after a temporary layoff with no loss of service time, being phoned by an employer’s son apologising about a row I had with his Dad about being expected to do multi collections of steel in the Midlands and multi drop it in London in a shift among other issues asking if I’d reconsider walking away ironically like the agency in question all referred back to the Carryfast offer.Not to be confused with the UPS fiasco on their part after the unfortunate buyout.
Although even in that case UPS ain’t in the habit of throwing the keys of A frame drawbar outfits to idiots who can’t drive or for that matter forgiving, let alone promoting, anyone for ditching a wagon.

Carryfast:
Have you thought for one second that being requested specifically by an agency client and told so on the basis of being well suited to a decent job that I liked doing, being promised my job back at Carryfast after a temporary layoff with no loss of service time, being phoned by an employer’s son apologising about a row I had with his Dad about being expected to do multi collections of steel in the Midlands and multi drop it in London in a shift among other issues asking if I’d reconsider walking away ironically like the agency in question all referred back to the Carryfast offer.

There is no way in hell that any of that happened (except in your head). The attitude you have displayed on this forum over and over again is all we need to know in regards of you always being bottom of the rung when it comes to employment opportunities, you really do have a sense of delusion that you were actually “wanted” or “in demand”. :unamused:

Well cheers for all the advice on where to look, thankfully its now no longer needed! :grimacing: Still not entirely sure how, but managed to get a job as a class 1 bulk cement powder tanker driver starting next week. I feel this is something Im vastly under-qualified to do! Small-ish local family run firm willing to take on a new pass and train me up which is exactly what I was hoping for, rather than being bounced around by agencies and left to fend for myself.

Does feel a bit like being thrown in at the deep end for a first class 1 role, compared to something like general haulage or supermarket RDC trunking which I (perhaps incorrectly) assume is a bit more forgiving for a newbie, but I’m well up for the challenge.

tierbirdy:
Well cheers for all the advice on where to look, thankfully its now no longer needed! :grimacing:

Fair play…

To you!

Pretty sure you won’t be let loose on your first day. There’ll be someone to show you the ropes.

In a few weeks, you’ll be leaning it into the bends and whistling happily away to yourself in your new job.

Carryfast:
Don’t think that there’s any rule that says artics are exempt from the type of crap work you describe.Or decent work being mutually exclusive with class 2.
Then back to the usual 7.5t and class 3 local work.
Bearing in mind there is a reason why agencies and clients are prepared to pay class 1 rates for crap work driving 7.5 tonners let alone 18 tonners.

I wonder what the common denominator could be between all your woes….

Carryfast:
Have you thought for one second that being requested specifically by an agency client and told so on the basis of being well suited to a decent job that I liked doing, being promised my job back at Carryfast after a temporary layoff with no loss of service time, being phoned by an employer’s son apologising about a row I had with his Dad about being expected to do multi collections of steel in the Midlands and multi drop it in London in a shift among other issues asking if I’d reconsider walking away ironically like the agency in question all referred back to the Carryfast offer.Not to be confused with the UPS fiasco on their part after the unfortunate buyout.
Although even in that case UPS ain’t in the habit of throwing the keys of A frame drawbar outfits to idiots who can’t drive or for that matter forgiving, let alone promoting, anyone for ditching a wagon.

I’ve a feeling we only know the tip of the ice burg when it comes to your chaotically crap career :smiley:

tierbirdy:
Well cheers for all the advice on where to look, thankfully its now no longer needed! :grimacing: Still not entirely sure how, but managed to get a job as a class 1 bulk cement powder tanker driver starting next week. I feel this is something Im vastly under-qualified to do! Small-ish local family run firm willing to take on a new pass and train me up which is exactly what I was hoping for, rather than being bounced around by agencies and left to fend for myself.

Does feel a bit like being thrown in at the deep end for a first class 1 role, compared to something like general haulage or supermarket RDC trunking which I (perhaps incorrectly) assume is a bit more forgiving for a newbie, but I’m well up for the challenge.

Congratulations great news. Being thrown in at the deep end is absolutely the best way imo. And family firms are the best. Just be upfront and straight with them, unsure of ANYTHING just ask they won’t mind, make any mistakes be honest and up front and learn from them. Never B/S, they’ve heard it all before. The beauty about companies like that is having the phone number of the man/woman who pays your wages, that’s a huge part of Why family companies are better to work for imo. With a decent attitude in 6 months you’ll wonder what you were worrying about