Class 2 upgrading to class 1 - what is required and the DCPC

hi all,

i’ve a mate who passed his car test after jan 97, who then passed his class C in march 09, so qualified for grandfather rights for the dcpc.

he’s not driven a truck for a few years so hasn’t bothered doing anything towards the dcpc. but now work are getting an artic and are going to put him through his C+E and dcpc.

does he need to do a theory test? he’s getting told yes, no and it’s a grey area. he has done a theory test to gain his class c

will his C+E training count towards his periodic training? or is that just classed as initial training and no good to him?

anything else he needs to do etc?

cheers, steve

The theory test he did to get cat C would last for 2 years so yes, he will need to do a theory test.

Kaistar:
The theory test he did to get cat C would last for 2 years so yes, he will need to do a theory test.

No theory - just the practical road drive/reverse/couple-up

No extra DCPC needed - the 35 hours he needs for C will cover C+E because dcpc refers to LGV not specific categories of LGV

Some LGV schools have their practical courses approved for periodic dcpc so ask the provider - its worth paying that bit extra for the dcpc hours

If it is approved for dcpc then try and get 2 to 1 training because the non driving time whilst the other is driving will also count
5 half days of 1 to 1 with test on day 5 = 14 hours dcpc for one trainee
5 full days of 2 to 1 with test on day 5 = 28 hours dcpc for both trainees

ROG:

Kaistar:

No theory - just the practical road drive/reverse/couple-up

Apologies then, things must have changed since I passed.

As soon as I passed, the instructor asked if I wanted to take class 1 and told me I needed to do it within 2 years if I didn’t want to take the theory again.
He may have just been bulling then to drum up a bit of extra business…

His Cat. C licence will include provisional entitlement for C+E - thus allowing him to learn in an artic at anytime his Cat. C licence remains valid i.e. between medicals/expiry dates. His provisional entitlement for C+E (Class 1) will be shown on his paper counterpart of the driving licence - including validity dates.

As ROG says only 35 hours Periodic Training required for Driver CPC purposes before September (like most of us).

that’s what i thought, cheers people :smiley:

Daz1970:
His Cat. C licence will include provisional entitlement for C+E - thus allowing him to learn in an artic at anytime his Cat. C licence remains valid i.e. between medicals/expiry dates. His provisional entitlement for C+E (Class 1) will be shown on his paper counterpart of the driving licence - including validity dates.

As ROG says only 35 hours Periodic Training required for Driver CPC purposes before September (like most of us).

I was told by my instructor that you only get the provisional entitlement for C+E if you tick the box when you send it off after passing your C, otherwise he’ll need to send it off to get the entitlement.

As for the DCPC, as others have said he’ll be covered until September on his acquired rights, by September he will have needed to complete his 35 hours of training, unless he comes under an exemption.

I am sure C+E provisional entitlement comes back automatically with a full Cat. C licence. The only ‘box-ticking’ I recall is when you apply for provisional Cat. C entitlement to be added onto car licence - you get a chance to tick a box which will also give you provisional Cat. D entitlement (buses/coaches) at the same time.

Yes, as I said above - he will need to complete 35 hours Periodic Training for DCPC, before September, in order to keep his Cat. C valid. Just like most of us!!!

Maybe it was the cat d thing and im confused lol