Class 2 Truck Sat Nav Recommendations?

Hey

Looking to get a truck Sat Nav, any recommendations?

I live in South Wales and cover South West (Small villages & City Centres) so narrow roads is a massive issue.

Tomtom 6000 sounds okay on reviews, any users?

Thank you in advance.

Is there such a thing that does not route you down narrow roads? All HGV sat navy’s I have used, you input length and width to avoid “limits/restrictions”.

They would happily route you down a narrow lane, with grass growing up middle if suited the criteria you had entered though…

F-reds:
Is there such a thing that does not route you down narrow roads? All HGV sat navy’s I have used, you input length and width to avoid “limits/restrictions”.

They would happily route you down a narrow lane, with grass growing up middle if suited the criteria you had entered though…

I went down a tractor lane in the car once. Wooden boards laid across the biggest holes. :open_mouth: Lots of scraping and banging noises. I was not a happy bunny.

But it was either that or stay behind a wobble box all the way home. We had a rule that if I started to get angry at the slow driver in front I had to take the next available turning and see where it ended up. :slight_smile:

Dont buy a satnav thinking it wont send you down crap lanes. Get a decent map for the county you will be in phillips do good ones. And always check route on that rather than trust sat nav an in no time you will quickly learn the area an not need the nav.

A proper truck sat nav can and most certainly will get you stuck if you let it. Buy a decent and up to date truck road atlas and cross examine everything the sat nav tells you before setting off. I find mine useful for a/ not having to memorise an entire route, and b/ the last bit of a route when trying to find a street where the delivery is.

It’s worth having, but check with a good atlas. If the sat nav and your common sense are saying two different things, then ignore the sat nav and you won’t go far wrong!

So with that in mind, the make doesn’t really matter as they will all get you stuck and take you a daft route to cut a corner off between 2 more suitable roads.

Earlier today, my sat nav tells me to turn off onto a B road. Having already cross examined my route I knew I was going to ignore my sat nav at this point. Once I’d gone past the road it had told me turned down, it recalculated the route. Once it had done this the predicted arrive time was 5 minutes quicker. So not only was it trying to take me down a less suitable road, my common sense way was also quicker as well as being more suitable. Sometimes I do wonder how it’s been programmed!

You are in charge not the zbing sat nav.Get a cheap one from ebay .I turn off the sound its easier to ignore that way.

Don’t spend lots £’s on an expensive truck specific satnav, buy one with up to date maps and if possible one with lifetime map updates. Then spend the money you save on beer, whiskey and wimmin’

Rowley010:
A proper truck sat nav can and most certainly will get you stuck if you let it. Buy a decent and up to date truck road atlas and cross examine everything the sat nav tells you before setting off. I find mine useful for a/ not having to memorise an entire route, and b/ the last bit of a route when trying to find a street where the delivery is.

It’s worth having, but check with a good atlas. If the sat nav and your common sense are saying two different things, then ignore the sat nav and you won’t go far wrong!

So with that in mind, the make doesn’t really matter as they will all get you stuck and take you a daft route to cut a corner off between 2 more suitable roads.

Earlier today, my sat nav tells me to turn off onto a B road. Having already cross examined my route I knew I was going to ignore my sat nav at this point. Once I’d gone past the road it had told me turned down, it recalculated the route. Once it had done this the predicted arrive time was 5 minutes quicker. So not only was it trying to take me down a less suitable road, my common sense way was also quicker as well as being more suitable. Sometimes I do wonder how it’s been programmed!

Yep my one the last 2 days was saying M40 closed at jct 12 where it was just the off slip then yesterday it said M6 was shut jct 5 but it was the on slip shut Bobby and Lynn are also worth listing to

I was gonna buy the Tom Tom 6000 but then I wanted a dash cam too for insurance and fraud purposes then I decided I’d get the camera. Do I did. As for sat nav, I’m gonna buy a good atlas and use Google maps then check for bridge heights and restrictions on atlas

Rowley010:
So not only was it trying to take me down a less suitable road, my common sense way was also quicker as well as being more suitable. Sometimes I do wonder how it’s been programmed!

if you set it to “Shortest”, it will route down to the last yard. If there is no actual width or height restriction, it simply uses numbers, ie length of roads and will send you down lanes. If you have a look in settings, you should be able to have some influence on the roads it chooses. Co-Pilot, for instance, has five settings for “Motorways” - Strongly Avoid, Avoid, Neutral, Favour, Strongly Favour. I’ve been routed through Alderbury instead of staying on the A36. I was going into Salisbury, so I ignored it, obviously. But if you look at the map, it is slightly shorter…

As others have said even truck satnavs aren’t 100% guaranteed, even with height, weight and length restrictions I’ve still had my garmin try to send me down tight streets where there’s no way the vehicle would ever fit. Or I’ve even had it telling me to “make a sharp right turn” that’s physically impossible to make in an artic. Get yourself a Phillips truck atlas and pre plan your route. I’ve become a lot less reliant on my satnav now. A good map and common sense goes a long way!

Got an android phone? Either use Google Maps or HERE from the Google Play Store if you want offline mapping. Couple that with a Philips Bridge Height Road Atlas and a good dose of common sense and you’re good to go.

Seems to me a lot of those buying the Tomtom 6000 series are lacking the latter of the above requirements.

If you set it to shortest it will route the shortest way ie all the short cuts. If you want to do properly get a truck specific one. As the argument I have weekly with one of our drivers as he says in trying to get in to this or that drop and there’s a bridges round it. I tell him every week get a truck one
sent from my Lumia 950XL using tapatalk for windows 10 mobile

I’ve found setting my Garmin to “quickest route” mode keeps me off country lanes and on proper trunk routes.