Class 2 trade plate drivers

I’m after some.adcive on trade plate driving.
My mate has some regular work via agency.

For daf dealer . Job is basically take a new truck to point a . drop it off then pick another up take it to point. B .then collect car to drive to point c .leave car then take truck to point d etc.

Have 2 questions.

1 he seems to think /been told don’t have to insert his tacho card.

His cpc.card is due to expire yet he’s been.told it doesn’t matter .

Is this right?

He’s certainly correct about The tacho card for new vehicle deliveries. My gut instinct is that he’s correct about the DCPC too, but I wouldn’t be prepared to risk my wallet on that without official clarification.

Without looking too deeply I’d agree about new vehicles not yet been used. But otherwise, can’t see how or why they would be exempt. The logic is, that if driver shuffling a goods veh around whilst empty doesn’t need driver card, then that could apply to almost half of some businesses. The occasional driver exemptions don’t apply either.
Just because they are on TPs means only they have no current VED.
What does the employer say when you ask?

edd1974:
I’m after some.adcive on trade plate driving.
My mate has some regular work via agency.

For daf dealer . Job is basically take a new truck to point a . drop it off then pick another up take it to point. B .then collect car to drive to point c .leave car then take truck to point d etc.

Have 2 questions.

1 he seems to think /been told don’t have to insert his tacho card.

His cpc.card is due to expire yet he’s been.told it doesn’t matter .

Is this right?

He is correct. I did similar work last year.
Get the daf dealer to provide you with an info sheet , on why you are exempt. This is incase you are stopped by DVSA.
Didn’t happen to me but did happen to a few other drivers. Showed exception certificate/info sheet & all was ok.
Do not require CPC card for brand new vehicles on trade plates but you will if moving a vehicle that has been registered & driven before.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replies. So basically if it’s new he’s exempt…but if he’s taking a used one day for an mot or to customers premises he has to use his card

edd1974:
Thanks for the replies. So basically if it’s new he’s exempt…but if he’s taking a used one day for an mot or to customers premises he has to use his card

No.
Shouldn’t need his tacho card at all. Best to check with dealer first.
Won’t need CPC card if it’s new & on trade plates

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

As i understand it: if mixing EU and Domestic on the same day, records must be kept according to EU regs. So either use tacho or input manually.

Franglais:
As i understand it: if mixing EU and Domestic on the same day, records must be kept according to EU regs. So either use tacho or input manually.

There’s no mixing of rules here mate, delivering brand new vehicles does not fall into any driving category so therefore tacho not required. I would agree however that keeping a note of hours worked in a diary for example would be good practice if only for the reason of arse covering.

They are probably not registered and might not have been calibrated so a tachograph card would be useless, you are not carrying a load or doing anything that could take legitimate business from another haulier. Remember most vehicles had to be taken to the workshop to have a tachograph fitted and then to the paint shop and body builders

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitely do not need a tacho in for the journey to and from the MOT unless you’re doing something else along the way such as collecting or delivering a load.

So we are pretty much agreed not read when taking bed veh on 1st delivery to owner (a>B)
So how about shuffling it from B to C etc, no’s it is with new or subsequent owner, the only thing it doesn’t have is road tax - hence the trade plates.( Trade plates cant be used on a veh that has a current VEL obviously).
In my view the OPs driving isn’t incidental activity, so those exemptions don’t apply, IMHO, card is required for onward journeys. Or can someone have a good reference to say otherwise

the maoster:

Franglais:

There’s no mixing of rules here mate, delivering brand new vehicles does not fall into any driving category so therefore tacho not required. I would agree however that keeping a note of hours worked in a diary for example would be good practice if only for the reason of arse covering.

So long as all new stuff, true, but a previous post (Ed) mentioned taking vehicles for MoT test, hence my comment.

I think its to do with the hire & reward regs, and trade plate…1. is its not for hire or reward. 2. to cover tax/insurances.

truckyboy:
I think its to do with the hire & reward regs, and trade plate…1. is its not for hire or reward. 2. to cover tax/insurances.

The only thing trade plates cover os road tax. If its part of the use for hire / reward then nothing changes and everything else is the same, so if it needs MOT with tax then it’s needed with TPs. All loads must be returned to the point of being loaded at with about 2 exceptions - refuse collection vehicles and a hearse.

I would say that he needs his DCPC, if the tacho head is operational and he has a card he may as well use it. The O.P. has to carry it with him anyway.