class 2 to class 1

got the chance to go for it at last but gotta sign a 1 yr contract sayin i will stay with my firm for said period, am a bit worried because have been driving class 2 for the last ten yrs, and am flapping a bit about them throwing me straight out in 1 of our magnums with a 45 footer. what i mean to say is you pass the test in something tiny like a leyland freighter with a skateboard for a trailer then its welcome to the real world,is the difference in rigids and bendys a whole new ballgame? some POSITIVE feedback please thx u lot

I am doing my Class 1 very shortly and even though I can drive any sort of rigid as easily as my car, when I attempt to drive my dads truck its totally different, not just because it bends but because of the size and more gears etc but at the end of the day I think you’ll get used to anything with a bit of practice. You don’t have to train on a minimum spec vehicle though, my training will be on a full sized truck, 13.6m curtain sider with a Scania Topline or whatever it is those big Scania’s are called so in theory I should stand a “little” better when it comes to driving in the real world, only time will tell though. All I would say is, this could be a very good oppertunity for you, not only are you getting it free (I’ve just forked out a grand for my Class 1 training) but you’ve got a job, something that can be very hard to come by for new starters on artics. I’d say go for it, aslong as you’re happy with the company you’re at.

Go for it Axlestand, once you get in a “bendy” for a while a good old 4 wheeler will scare the hell outta you!!

I find an artic much easier to drive…

(But dont try a wag 'n drag with an A frame, thats scary!!)

Go on! Be the ‘King of the Road’!

It is NOT as difficult as you might think (shhh don’t tell anyone) with the worst part being reversing. I passed my class II about a year ago, and then my class I about 2 months later. The first time you actually drive one, you will be nervous as hell - but when you stop and get out and see the size of the vehicle you drove you will grin like a cheshire cat!

£10 says you will enjoy it!

We are just about to put 4 lads through their C1,and all of them are looking forward to it.We have put 3 through already,and,unfortunately for our lot,1 of them left almost immediately.Our lot were too dim to tie them into a contract.

However,look on the bright side.If they tie you in,it will serve 2 purposes.

1.You’ll have the satisfaction of knowing your job is safe for at least 12 months.

2.You’ll gain mucho experience,and then if you decide to leave,you won’t get the,“You haven’t enough experience son.”

I say,go for it.

One of our new ‘trainees’,summed it up perfectly last Saturday in our yard.While reversing up and down a straight line,and turning the wheel the wrong way to correct,he said,“I’ve gotta take my rigid brain out,and put my artic brain in,” which,if you knew him,he’d have to find them both first… :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Ken.

axlestand:
am flapping a bit about them throwing me straight out in 1 of our magnums with a 45 footer.t

Best way to do it.

All you have to do is take your time, it isn’t a race and there are no prizes for putting it on the bay quicker than that other driver. if in doubt GOAL - Get Out And Look.

Enjoy it, be proud and good luck.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Blimey, I’ve woken up all positive this morning. :wink: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

if in doubt GOAL - Get Out And Look

and also…

‘Don’t be a [zb] - take a shunt’

(Sean of Rollright - see sig below for more advice)

not even subtle :unamused: :wink: Rikki

Biggest problem you’ll face is finding somewhere in a Magnum to put your coffee mug down, not a flat surface to be found!
Best of luck though.

Driving an artic after rigid isn’t too difficult. Truck I’ve drove much in last couple years has wheelbase of 5.2 meters and tag axle 1.4m behind it. After that driving an artic with wheelbase something near 4 meters is so agile it could be from different planet.

Reversing artic is quite easy to learn. Only difference is that you can’t always see both sides of your trailer. Longer trailer usually is easier to reverse than short one. When going forward you can always take little extra before turning, just to be sure. You learn quite fast where your trailer is.

Tramper:
Biggest problem you’ll face is finding somewhere in a Magnum to put your coffee mug down, not a flat surface to be found!

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Now this is the kind of serious problem the media people who keep popping up on the site should be addressing. How the heck can they expect us to stay awake and alert when there is nowhere for the coffee cup?

Coffeeholic:

Tramper:

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Now this is the kind of serious problem the media people who keep popping up on the site should be addressing. How the heck can they expect us to stay awake and alert when there is nowhere for the coffee cup?

pmsl :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

go for it axelstand you got nowt to lose

Grab the chance with both hands, axlestand. :smiley:

There’s a lot of folk who have had to save hard to get through C+E, without any guarantee of getting a job afterwards.

You have an opportunity to bypass all that, in return for staying with your firm for a year. I think that is a very fair deal. The experience you will gain will be invaluable.

If you like your employer enough that you don’t mind being there for a year, go for it. :smiley:

Go for it axlestand :smiley:

It’s a good chance, go for it, and just take the bull by the horns!

I would go for it (especially if they are offering you a sensible hourly rate) although make sure that you learn in something sensible - 40 / 45 footer artic…

G

Go for it … I had to pay for mine and then go job hunting , luckily i found a firm willing to let a new driver drive , all the old hand’s giving it the nod nod wink wink bet you trashe’s something within a week … That was 4 years ago never hit anything …
Reversing is the one thing i found the hardest on my training . Took the shunt on my test and still have to shunt sometimes even now due to oversteering etc …
Already said above just give yourself lot’s of room , take a little more than you need , i still do it at crap roundabout’s when turning to block any would be smart arse’s squeezing down and becoming a hazard to me …

GOAL that’s a good one , many a time i have seen people not use GOAL and end up smacking something …

Two instance’s of this at an rdc recently … A foreigner reversed into one of the canopy supporting pillar’s BOOM that woke a few people up …
A bloke smacked another truck’s N/S mirror off by trying to turn out of a space he was never going to be able to turn out of …

Kyrbo:
Longer trailer usually is easier to reverse than short one.

Shorter trailers can run away from you quite quickly, or is that just me being crap :question: Longer trailers take longer to react to your movements.

Oh, and good luck to you.

Coffeeholic:

Which is why I like the Scania. Two sizes of cup holder, one of which is perfect for my flask. A flat tray within peripheral vision for ease of pouring and negates getting my ■■■■ damp when I miss.

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Yeti:

Kyrbo:

Shorter trailers can run away from you quite quickly, or is that just me being crap :question: Longer trailers take longer to react to your movements.

Oh, and good luck to you.

Short trailers can be little buggers! Ive done plenty with 20’ skellies and they can be awkward! Longer is easier (to a point) I think.

Yeti:

Kyrbo:

This is exactly what I meant. Long trailer gives you more time to correct mistake without shunt. Of course there are places where short trailer is easier becouse long one is just too long for easy reverse :laughing: