Class 2 to Class 1 funding question

Have held a class 2 license for 15 years now and consider myself very experienced.
I badly want to upgrade to class 1 and start doing some half decent paying work, however, I am unable to afford the training costs of nearly a £1000.

Does anyone know of any schemes etc…where I can either take out a loan (one not subject to status as mine is despicable :slight_smile:) or where the training is funded by the government etc…

What about companies that may train me and allow me to repay over a period of say 6 months.

All advice greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Rob

Driver Hire will fund your licence upgrade after doing 65 shifts with them.

I know most employers who offer you an upgrade usually get you to sign something to say you wont leave for X amount of months or you pay back the training.

Thanx Tom, however, my local DH franchise (with whom I’m registered) is currently for sale and as such, is not offering this scheme!! :unamused:

Hi RobT,

What are your’e current curcumstances?? I ask this cos i found myself unemployed about 18 months ago and when i signed on the woman in the jobcentre looked at my forms,realised all my jobs were driving ones(vans and 7.5 tonners)…so she said to me how do you fancy doing your’e HGV…of course i jumped at the chance as i’d allways wanted to but could never afford it.

They referred me to a group called “working links”…i still got my benefits but didn’t have to sign on and they paid for my class two and one all whithin three months.

I don’t agree with this for people who get it and don’t use it…but for people like yourself and me who it helps gain employment then why not…iv’e paid enough in taxes and national insurance in the past… :wink:

Scan

Scantheman

Thanx for that mate! Sounds interesting!

I am currently unemployed but not signing on (stupid pride thing)!! Shall have to enquire further about this, not sure if I will be eligible though as I already hold a class 2. Will let you know!

RobT,

I know wot ure sayin about the pride thing cos i hate being out of work and signing on but having a wife and four kids i have to sign on in between jobs just to feed the family. :frowning: :frowning:

The guy who works for the working links organisation was initially just going to put me through my class two but after i did that the only jobs coming up were class one so he asked me if i wanted to do my class one as well.The job they have is to get you back into work so if there’s more class one work in your’e area then you would probably get it.

One last point that i had’nt thought is that the “working links” could just be a local thing round here but i dont think it is i’m sure its the same throughout the whole country…you would have to enquire. :wink:

Scan

hi rob ,
same here rob i never bother signing on either ,pride but was talking to a mate of mine he always signs on in between jobs pays his stamp… and i suppose if you sign on they could probably find funding from some where best of luck let us know how you get on
ian from costa dell hull

not signing on is bloody stupid you are entitled to sign on it is your right
nah its your duty not to distort the dole figures
and if you dont you will lose NI credits which count to your soon to be non existant / worthless state pension

One thing they may take into account is you may have to be signing on for a min period of 6 months, as i too enquired about this when i was unemployed!
regards

mark

Basically there a loads of jobs out there, and given the choice between say cleaning or signing on, i’d prefer cleaning, it pays better. Even if it isnt driving, it’s still a job.