Class 2 tanker interview advice please

Hi guys

So I’ve got my first hgv driving job interview coming up. It’s for a class 2 tanker delivering fuels to local garages and peoples homes.

I don’t hold my ADR but they know that because it’s not in my CV. Obviously I would need to get that before I could start.

If I did get lucky its a huge step to go straight onto a tanker. A bit daughnting to say the least.

I’ve never been for a hgv interview before. It’s a tottal career change for me to stop working at sea and come ashore. Have you got any tips or tricks on what I should say or do? Any that are specific to tankers?

Thanks robaidh

Robaidh:
Hi guys

So I’ve got my first hgv driving job interview coming up. It’s for a class 2 tanker delivering fuels to local garages and peoples homes.

I don’t hold my ADR but they know that because it’s not in my CV. Obviously I would need to get that before I could start.

If I did get lucky its a huge step to go straight onto a tanker. A bit daughnting to say the least.

I’ve never been for a hgv interview before. It’s a tottal career change for me to stop working at sea and come ashore. Have you got any tips or tricks on what I should say or do? Any that are specific to tankers?

Thanks robaidh

First of all it’s not a daunting task so don’t worry. What I can’t understand is why they have asked you for interview when you have no ADR. I thought there were plenty drivers with ADR unless of course the job does not pay well?

I would be very careful about taking a career change but if you do go for the interview best policy is be totally honest. Regarding tankers the job you will be doing (delivering round houses) can be a horrible job especially in the winter. Delivering to garages is far easier but I suspect you will be doing the houses especially at the start. Depending on the company if they have larger vehicles (artics) they usually get the best jobs (mainly garages) so it may be possibleto work hard and step up the ladder.

Good luck anyway.

I would have thought working offshore would stand you in good stead, ADR is easy, you already know not to fall off the gantry and to close valves off before disconnecting pipes. No smoking on a rig means the same in Buncefield.

Tongue in cheek maybe, [emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Robaidh:
… I don’t hold my ADR but they know that because it’s not in my CV. Obviously I would need to get that before I could start.

Hi robaidh,

My reading of this part of your post suggests to me that you’ve been selected for interview on the basis of your CV, which (to them) will be very impressive given your experience.

You’ll already be familiar with IMDG to some extent, so all that needs adding is that ADR is the Road version of (pretty much) the same Regs. :smiley:

You’ll need a minimum of three ADR modules for the fuel tanker job:

Core module (1.5 days tuition + 25 multi-choice exam questions in 40 mins time allowed. Pass mark = 18)
Tanker module (1.5 days tuition + 20 multi-choice exam questions in 30 mins time allowed. Pass mark = 14)
UN Class 3 module (1.5 hrs tuition + 15 multi-choice exam questions in 25 mins time allowed. Pass mark = 11)

If you take just the bare minimum above, you can get either 7 or 14 DCPC hours, depending on how the chosen ADR provider has set up their courses. However, you can sit out the other days in the classroom just as a DCPC candidate and possibly get up to 28 DCPC hrs, but that would be a bit more expensive.

You will also need a PDP if you need to go into a refinery to load, otherwise, PDP is not needed.

Thanks guys. It’s for Certas. It’s a small local depo here in Scotland. I plan to tell them I don’t have ADR obviously just don’t want them to think their wasting the time.

I’ve thought long and hard about career change. It’s daunting. I’ve worked at sea for 10 years now but it’s not what it used to be. Plus I have a keen interest in lorrys.

If you will be delivering to houses , sometimes it will be in a rural area , and you may have to block half or all of the lane or road to get your hoses over to their properties .
I would recommend doing all the ADR in one shot and a training provider may find a bed and breakfast or hotel and guesthouse , you can do the whole course in one week .

If the training is too far away , stay the Sunday night to start fresh Monday morning , there is a lot of information to absorb then take a multiple choice exam .
I did my ADR with Friendberry in Somerset , packages and tanker modules , when the day has ended , you can have a good laugh with your class mates and have a few beers in the local .
If you are up in Scotland , Peter Smythe training offer a free place to stay and have an excellent repute and very keen prices .It would not be too far to drive down .