Class 2 straight to Class 1 honest opinion?

As drivers of Class 1’s yourselves and having been through the process, do you honestly recommend going straight for Class 1 after passing your Class 2?

Keep in mind things may have changed within the industry regarding hiring policies, risk, job demand etc since some of you “older” :wink: folks took your tests.

Of course I’d much prefer to drive a Class 1 but I’d hate to pay the money for the lessons and test only to find out nobody is willing to hiring me and then I’m forced to sit on in while driving Class 2’s and most importantly, allowing my newly gained experience become rusty and doing poorly in the driving assessment when I finally do get one.

Just out of curiosity, how many of you work for companies right now or recently (5 years) that have / do hire new Class 1 passers without any Class 2 experience first?

I’d say do it if you have the chance to… not only is the money generally better but there seems to be so many more opportunities…

I passed my class 2 in December-18 and applied for just about every single job within 30 miles (bearing in mind i’m not in a bad location for transport near immingham) and only heard back from a couple within about 6 months, all around minimum wage and then thought I’m not jacking a good office job off for that money.

Skip forward to last week, passed my C+E on 1st Oct, applied for a tonne of jobs, was offered 3 interviews/assessments almost immediately and had a written job offer through for decent enough hourly wage.

SUFCMark:
I’d say do it if you have the chance to… not only is the money generally better but there seems to be so many more opportunities…

I passed my class 2 in December-18 and applied for just about every single job within 30 miles (bearing in mind i’m not in a bad location for transport near immingham) and only heard back from a couple within about 6 months, all around minimum wage and then thought I’m not jacking a good office job off for that money.

Skip forward to last week, passed my C+E on 1st Oct, applied for a tonne of jobs, was offered 3 interviews/assessments almost immediately and had a written job offer through for decent enough hourly wage.

That’s all I needed to hear. I have the money and the motivation to do my Class 1.

Congrats on passing and the job by the way :sunglasses: Just out of curiosity, what was your approach to getting those interviews, did you apply online to the employer, go directly to their office, through an agency or perhaps you had a connection from someone?

TruckerWannabe123:
As drivers of Class 1’s yourselves and having been through the process, do you honestly recommend going straight for Class 1 after passing your Class 2?

Keep in mind things may have changed within the industry regarding hiring policies, risk, job demand etc since some of you “older” :wink: folks took your tests.

Of course I’d much prefer to drive a Class 1 but I’d hate to pay the money for the lessons and test only to find out nobody is willing to hiring me and then I’m forced to sit on in while driving Class 2’s and most importantly, allowing my newly gained experience become rusty and doing poorly in the driving assessment when I finally do get one.

Just out of curiosity, how many of you work for companies right now or recently (5 years) that have / do hire new Class 1 passers without any Class 2 experience first?

The last time I drove a class 2 was on my class 2 test, as soon as my licence was back I did my class 1 lessons and test. That was last September, I literally sent one CV out for a job that probably didnt exist but got contacted by an agency from it with work.

Did a couple of months agency work doing various class 1 work, fridges and curtainsiders then got offered a temp to perm role in January and Im still there now having been took on perm in April…so it can be done.

If you’ve got the cash get the test done I say it will never be a waste having that extra licence.

Sent from my SM-J415FN using Tapatalk

I went from class 2 right into class 1 in may, stared working class 1 day after I passed my test. Seem to be a lot of class one opportunities in my area (Kent), can’t really comment on class 2 opportunities as I never looked for working doing that, didn’t really fancy multi drop work so I stayed well clear.

TruckerWannabe123:

SUFCMark:

That’s all I needed to hear. I have the money and the motivation to do my Class 1.

Congrats on passing and the job by the way :sunglasses: Just out of curiosity, what was your approach to getting those interviews, did you apply online to the employer, go directly to their office, through an agency or perhaps you had a connection from someone?

Cheers bud. I’m in a comfortable office job now and can’t afford to lose the security and dive into the agency world so I just went direct to companies and just applied online via indeed.

Little tip, don’t let “needing” 2 years experience put you off, a few I’ve applied for have come back to me (even with no HGV experience at all) and been willing to give me an opportunity and said if it’s the right person they’re willing to pay the difference in excess.