Class 2 - Shortage of jobs

Hi Guys,

I was made redundant 3 weeks ago from a good job that I’d only been in for 7 months due to a lack of work. It’s made me wonder whether its worth asking the job centre to see if they can help me out in getting my C+E licence.

I live just outside of Middlesbrough and its seemed to me for a while there is a distinct lack of job opportunities around this area for a class C driver.

I just wondered if anyone else had upgrade their licences and found it any easier to get work considering we supposedly have a driver shortage in this country, or am I better off just sticking with class C and hoping for the best?

Cheers

Dave

Next time you’re on the motorway compare how many rigids you see to artics. You’ll see far more artics so obviously there’s more jobs.

And yes, I walked straight into work as soon as I got my C+E so I’d recommend it.

dpt2011:
It’s made me wonder whether its worth asking the job centre to see if they can help me out in getting my C+E licence.

And they’ll tell you to go away in short jerky movements… TRUST ME! I was after help doing my initial DCPC as my money has rapidly run out, and was basically told that there is no longer any money to do stuff like that any more.

There is a scheme you can apply to get money from, BUT itll take the them 6 to 8 WEEKS just to look at your application! and anything up to 6 months to get you on a course as they have to put it out to tender amongst all the training establishments in your area (in my case the whole of the north west)… the system stinks, even adviser told me it did!

Consequently ive had to borrow a bit from here and there to get it sorted :cry: :cry:

my advice would be for you to do the same!

B…

Bungle666:

dpt2011:
It’s made me wonder whether its worth asking the job centre to see if they can help me out in getting my C+E licence.

And they’ll tell you to go away in short jerky movements… TRUST ME! I was after help doing my initial DCPC as my money has rapidly run out, and was basically told that there is no longer any money to do stuff like that any more.

There is a scheme you can apply to get money from, BUT itll take the them 6 to 8 WEEKS just to look at your application! and anything up to 6 months to get you on a course as they have to put it out to tender amongst all the training establishments in your area (in my case the whole of the north west)… the system stinks, even adviser told me it did!

Consequently ive had to borrow a bit from here and there to get it sorted :cry: :cry:

my advice would be for you to do the same!

B…

Blimey in that time you could have passed and if you got a job quickly have earned it back. I think I am going to go for C+E and just pay for it. Hope to get a job though hard when you have just got the licence :neutral_face:

dpt2011:

I was made redundant last year and the job centre paid for my C+E training through something they call Rapid Response. It’s a fund for people who have been made redundant and covers an unlimited amount of money toward any sort of training so long as they are satisfied it is likely to get you work. You have to apply within 6 months of being made redundant.
Frustratingly I can’t get any C+E work but at least I have it and it didn’t cost me a penny.

alder:

After I applied I had my training sorted in 6 weeks. Guess I was one of the lucky ones.

grroover:

dpt2011:

I was made redundant last year and the job centre paid for my C+E training through something they call Rapid Response. It’s a fund for people who have been made redundant and covers an unlimited amount of money toward any sort of training so long as they are satisfied it is likely to get you work. You have to apply within 6 months of being made redundant.
Frustratingly I can’t get any C+E work but at least I have it and it didn’t cost me a penny.

I’ve got an appointment next week about this, I didn’t find anything out about if from the job centre it was the careers advice service that gave me all the information.