Class 2 reverse

I failed my class 2 test on the reverse gutted. I’ve got my re test next week. Any tips for passing it without hitting cones ? because I won’t have any training till next week now due to work. So I want to remember it. What I remember is full lock left keep the tyre straight close to the yellow line not going over it. Now the next bit is when you see 3 cones full lock right is the 3 cones you see in right mirror or left mirror. Hope you understand. If not anyone who passed it I’ll take your tips and advice on board thanks

Which side cones did you hit, I found it easy by keeping the rear right tyre close to the right cones after passing cone B.I passed mine 4 weeks ago. Good luck

I hit the cone on the right hand side going into the bay

Do you mean on the right hand side going into the parking bay? If so when you are going in if you aren’t seeing both sets of cones don’t be afraid to take a shunt forward, I’m not talking just a foot or two take as much as you need / can and make it count

So if I don’t see them. A shunt I could straighten the truck and reverse it into the bay you say ? Yeah what I remember doing the test due to nerves I seen two cones in me right mirror and full locked right going into the bay and hit the cone on the right which on the diagram is the single cone on it owns going into the parked bay

By the sounds of it then you were a bit too far over from the B cone as you started to go into the bay. If that happens shunt forward into the empty space opposite the bay and position yourself equidistant between the garage comes and go straight back in. I’m not sure how much of the empty space you are allowed to use distance wise. Either have a word with your instructor or ask somebody like Rog or Peter Smythe, they are far more knowledgeable than I lol

Best thing to do is forget about the cones you can’t see,get close enough to the ones you can see and you’ll be fine,this will appli out in the real driving world too when backing into places,just keep the side you can see close.also as said take a shunt,it’s a ■■■■ site easier reversing straight into the bay rather than going in on an angle.

You’ve also got to remember that the reversing exercise is not something you do in the real world. Everywhere is different that you will go to and you can get out and luck etc.
Another thing that makes people struggle sometimes is the speed that they try to manoeuvre at, keep it nice and slow and under control

Don’t be a ■■■■ take a shunt, also works getting out for a look. Obviously you can’t on test!

The way I was taught was full lock left until you see all 3 cones on your offside, then straighten up for a few metres then feed in right lock which should allow you to position yourself. Then once you see the right hand cone (as if looking into the bay) on your nearside mirror (left) then its just a case of straightening up into the bay. Just take your time, its not a race and you will nail it next time.

Hope that helps. :smiley:

NickW88:
Don’t be a [zb] take a shunt, also works getting out for a look. Obviously you can’t on test!

I thought you could do both on test?

I know you can get out and look once, but I thought that was only when you wanted to check you were in the right garage position. Not sure now

Get up to Asda car park cover your rear view mirror park I one bay then reverse using your wing mirrors only , no looking at round and out the back of the car. As for a cone stand a trolley on end with a hi viz on it reverse one bay across to another, same princiable just different sizes

^^^ pretty good idea.

practice is the key, that and memory. you know where the cones are positioned, react to what you can see and use your memory for the cones you can’t.

it helps if you can see your rear tyres in your mirrors, makes it much easier if you can see how close you are, just seeing the body makes it hard to judge the pivot point and how close you are to the cones.

trukazz:
Which side cones did you hit, I found it easy by keeping the rear right tyre close to the right cones after passing cone B.I passed mine 4 weeks ago. Good luck

Turn steering wheel 2 revolutions to left. Once front wheel is about 6 inches away from yellow line ( nearest to letter A ) take 1 revolution off. Keep going back until you can no longer see cone at parking bay ( the one nearest yellow line, on its own ) then take last revolution off. At this point your back wheels should be near yellow line where cone B is situated. Make about half turn on steering wheel ( possibly slightly more ) and keep edging back slowly. At this point you should be able to guide it back no probs and turn steering when necessary

You can get out twice on test for a look

Your tyre is also the pivot point so when it’s level with the cone, put more right lock on and the truck will swing around the cone.

Thanks for the replies. Will take it on board for next week. Just hope I remember how to drive the truck an nail the reverse at atherton test centre an it’s a safe drive after and I’m Home :slight_smile:

Mellor:
Thanks for the replies. Will take it on board for next week. Just hope I remember how to drive the truck an nail the reverse at atherton test centre an it’s a safe drive after and I’m Home :slight_smile:

I’m sure you’ll be fine pal! It shouldn’t be something you’re likely to forget any time soon. With the reverse grab a decent start position and as long as you take it slow and steady with clutch and brake left hand down nice and quick and run along nice and close to that yellow line (without running over obviously) until you see the 3 cones with the poles in in your o/s mirror quickly shift from left hand down to right hand down and guide it back in helps to be as straight as possible when in the garage position for the last bit. It’s not a race chap so take it slow and steady with good all round observation and keep checking that n/s mirror I’m sure you can smash it :slight_smile: don’t forget on the road safe and steady drive also not a race and it’ll be yours :slight_smile: good luck!