Class 2 Reverse Help Please

Well started my class 2 training this week in a 2012 MAN rigid with a manual 4 over 4 gearbox, after some initial getting in the wrong gear issues I seem to be getting on well with it now, in fact the one manouver that I was concerned about was the reverse procedure.

So today I had my first attempt at the reverse and believe it or not it went really well except one slight issue, when starting to reverse I seemed to have a real issue following the white line when on full lock :frowning: . I think I was trying to get to close to the line before straightening up maybe I should straighten up an inch or so before the line.

Does anyone have any tips please so I can crack this part of the reverse it’s irritating me more than anything now.

All I can say is, tell your trainer you want to spend more time practicing the reverse, because I do a lot of shunting at work, I got on really well with it, however on the day of my test I fluffed up my final practices, yet I thought I had really mucked up on my test attempt as I ended up doing a completely different line due to nerves, however it was still a perfect reverse so all was good.

Keep calm and relax and you will be fine

Sounds a bit odd. The white line should be yellow. But, that apart, why are you getting so close to it? Second guessing the answer, make sure you have the correct start position ie as far to the left as possible and all the way up to the cones. Vehicles vary, but a good general rule is to apply one and a half turns to the left, quickly, as soon as the vehicle moves. If the vehicle moves back more than a couple of feet before you’ve done this, you’ll be in trouble probably. Now keep an eye on the o/s/f wheel to make sure it doesn’t get too close to the yellow line. If it is, simply take some of the steering off. You’ve either overdone the steering effort or not positioned correctly to start with. As you get towards the yellow line, make sure that B cone is coming into view. You may need to ease the front wheel a bit further towards the line to achieve this.

If I’ve understood the query correctly, this will put you right. If I’ve misunderstood it, please try and again and so will I.

Is the area correctly marked?

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Thank you for the replies guys,

The line is white Peter because its just a line that’s marked in the yard the training school share with a haulage firm, I position the truck close to the left hand cone then apply full left hand lock and start reversing until I can see cone B. My instructor has told me to run the wheel parallel to the line and I think what I am doing is running the edge of the tyre right up against the white line, I’m now thinking maybe I should start running parallel to the line about an inch or two before touching it which may sort the problem, other than that the reverse is a doddle :smiley: .

Additional to Pete’s post.

Yes you can get full-lock on ASAP to get over towards the line, but as you near it you have to slacken off, as the road wheel can only follow an arc (Unless you turn it while stationary!) So maybe you need to be anticipating when to straighten up a bit earlier, and draw an imaginary arc on the road as the wheel nears the line.

Best of luck pal! :smiley:

This is both incorrect but good advice mate.

You should not turn the wheel left before you move its called dry steering.

To solve your issue put full left lock on before you move. Imagine a line painted 6 inches inside the actual line and don’t cross the imaginary line. When you see cone B keep as much left lock on as possible. When you see all 3 poles steer it in.

The worse you get for dry steering is a minor but I doubt you will even get that.

I never ever teach this but it WILL get you through your problem

Is the area you are reversing in the correct/same size as the one you’ll be using at the test centre? You may find on the day that the test centres manoeuvre area is actually larger than the space the haulage company allows your instructors to use.
Remember you don’t have to get it in the box in one go (unless things have now changed) so don’t go right up to the line with your wheels. Give it some space and then use your shunt to make any correction at the end. Also remember that using full lock isn’t always necessary and the more times you have to turn the wheel the more distance you will have to travel to correct it.
I disagree with LGVTrainer’s advice and would avoid dry steering. I know all advice is helpful but I don’t agree with the mantra of showing someone something just to get them a pass instead of teaching them how to just do it properly in the first place.
You may also find one day you have a epiphany moment where all of a sudden it all clicks into place and you will nail it without any problems.

LGVTrainer:

Who said you should? :open_mouth:

I was stating that it was ONLY possible to NOT draw an arc IF you dry steered, not that you should do it…
But isn’t that EXACTLY what your suggesting by saying apply full lock before starting? :confused:

I’d say you should whack the full lock as you start the reverse.
So move off slowly and get the lock on quick! :smiley:

Well thanks for the advice guys,

I started with the reverse today full left lock watching for that line in the mirror then when I was a few inches from it started to straighten the wheel looking for cone B to my surprise it was a success :smiley:, had about 10 attempts of which 8 I was really pleased with 1 was border line and the last I wasn’t happy with at all.

The ride out went really well and only remember my instructor mentioning 2 things to me, once driving a little close to a lamppost (but in my defence it was a busy road and a bus was parked on the opposite side of the road at the stop, I was going though on the other side when some prick in a car decided he could make it through the gap hence me moving over towards the lamp post). And second I stopped at a zebra crossing, handbrake on and in neutral went to pull away when it was all clear and forgot to drop the gears into low range.

Other than that a really good day today hope that tomorrow will be even better.

Evil8Beezle:

LGVTrainer:

Who said you should? :open_mouth:

I was stating that it was ONLY possible to NOT draw an arc IF you dry steered, not that you should do it…
But isn’t that EXACTLY what your suggesting by saying apply full lock before starting? :confused:

I’d say you should whack the full lock as you start the reverse.
So move off slowly and get the lock on quick! :smiley:

Ha ha. You made the same mistake I did and thought LGV Trainers post was directed at your comments. He’s saying that what he is about to write is wrong but it might help the OP in his current situation.
Chill out Evil as I don’t think he was knocking your post.