Class 2 pay

Hi all.
Just joined this site and was just woundering what the average pay was for Class 2 driving? Not been in the industry long so not really sure what would be good pay. Im on £10 ph but get no overtime rate and im from Northampton. I reckon i could get more as there is alot of jobs out there at the mo.

Is that mon - fri or weekends too?

£10ph for class 2 is decent,Stobards don’t pay that for class one!

have to do 2 sats in a month for the same dosh!

Stobards pay overtime dont they. U know what they pay class 2? Good firm to work for tho?

I think you’d struggle to better than tbh.

Think about it this way, if a company pays overtime rate, it’s not always time + half, and you’ve got to do 8hrs / 40hrs / 50hrs / 55hrs (delete as appropriate) to get the enhanced rate.

So, let’s look at it, for 8hrs you’ve earned £80, someone on £9 has only earned £72, so let’s say they’re on time+half after 8hrs, so hour 9 you’ve earned £90, they’ve earned £85.50, hour 10 you’re on £100 and they’re on £99… so takes 10hrs before they’re even matching your rate. And that’s assuming time and half after 8hrs.

Do you get docked breaks? Most places that pay overtime dock breaks (not all)…

Yeah get docked 45 min if I do over 7 hrs a day. Don’t get docked anything for 7 hrs or under. Sounds like I might be on a pretty good rate then. But I do go into central London most days and it is hard work. Think im still gonna try and push for a rise. Crying out for drivers in Northants but know the grass isn’t always greener

All depends what you are doing, when you are doing it, how long you have to do it for. Only you can value yourself at the job you do.

£10 an hour is decent enough rate, but if you are maxing your hours, and slogging your guts out everyday, in a job you hate, with people you hate, with no quality of life, then no it’s crap.

Just remember the grass always looks greener, but don’t forget you can paint mud green too :wink:

One of the most stupid paying systems I know is a builders firm near me. I went for an interview for class 2 last year. When it came to the pay…

They pay minimum wage, but pay you minimum of 12 hours a day, then time and a half after 8 hours… Even the TM says he finds this way of paying embarrassing but the main man won’t have any of it in regards to changing it…

Needless to say, there seems to be a sign up every month looking for drivers…

In my experience you can earn more by getting employed on contract doing multi drop. Some places pay up to 33k but it is job and finish with no o/t, so if you are lucky to get a route that is achievable within 9 h you win but in most cases you work long hours.