Class 2 Jobs

Hi All

Is there still a demand for ‘thousands’ of C category drivers?
Over the last fortnight I’ve had 2 jobs in total which only gave me 46 hours.
I’m getting worried as it’s so quiet. This time last year I was bombarded with phonecalls for work. :frowning:

I had a similar situation with one agency over the last month, but have signed up with a second and I have had work every day since… … so I guess there is the demand out there… … …

I seriously hope there is a demend for class C drivers. I recently passed my class C and after returning from a trip to some of my family in Germany I’ll need abit of work to boost up my money for the C+E course. Though being 21 I expect I’ll get knocked back by 90% of the people I approach because as we all know, despite there being a supposed driver shortage, the last thing anyone wants is some actual new blood, which after all is whats needed to cure any shortage, which I suspect dosn’t really exist.

tallow:
Hi All

Is there still a demand for ‘thousands’ of C category drivers?
Over the last fortnight I’ve had 2 jobs in total which only gave me 46 hours.
I’m getting worried as it’s so quiet. This time last year I was bombarded with phonecalls for work. :frowning:

There seems to be here in the Leeds area - the majority of the work the agency are offering me at the moment is class 2, and they’ve got more than enough to keep me in full time work.

Paul

I noticed last night that Fowler Welch have both a rigid and Artic rigged out for training drivers, they are as far as I can gather, struggling for drivers and have a few Poles brought in through Ray Turner Agency in Lincs.

Maybe it’s worth ringing Tenham in Kent or Spalding in Lincs to see if they would upgrade you to C + E

Rates of Pay aint the best as its £6.15 ph for first 8 then £8.20 ph with a guarantee of 10hrs per day + £19.50 overnight money.

But hey, if it gets you on the ladder what the heck :wink: :wink:

It must be nice to have your training paid for by someone else. While I was doing my class C I seemed to be the only guy paying his own way, everyone else I came across were either getting it paid for by the council or had dad’s who owned transport companies. Its good that people are getting help with the ridiculous cost of training but it is slightly annoying when you save hard and put almost all your own money into it, yet the people who get it paid for, half of them dont seem the slightest big interested in it and are only there because they’ve got nothing better to do. Though I still would prefere to pay my own way if possible because I dont like being owned by anyone, if I pay for myself its my own licence and I can go where I want, when I want.

As repton as said above there is quite a bit of
class 2 work going in leeds. I got asked twice
this week to work for tnt again in leeds but its
not feasible for me so I did 2 jobs in sheffield
insted. I hope you find some more work soon
tallow and good luck :smiley:

Also good luck robinhood_1984 with class 2 work
and class 1 training :smiley:

convoy:
Also good luck robinhood_1984 with class 2 work
and class 1 training :smiley:

Cheers mate.
I fear I’ll be needing some luck due to the age problem but I’ll go round all the agencies, someone should be able to offer something. If not I’ll get in my car and travel around all the companies I can think of in my area who opperate any rigids.

When i was agency driving they would often start a newly qualified driver on dust carts.I have done this myself, certainly get lots of reversing practice.Good luck

Robin Hood,
Know how you feel I paid for my own training last year but there were a lot who were geting it paid for them but didiin’t have any interest in it at all. For them it was just a few days skiving. One of them was that dangerous the instructor made him get out and wouldn’t let him drive again.
I think the driver shortage is a bit of a con. Though I have been in constant employment since i passed my test.

knight:
Robin Hood,
Know how you feel I paid for my own training last year but there were a lot who were geting it paid for them but didiin’t have any interest in it at all. For them it was just a few days skiving. One of them was that dangerous the instructor made him get out and wouldn’t let him drive again.
I think the driver shortage is a bit of a con. Though I have been in constant employment since i passed my test.

I agree about the shortage. I think its greately exhagerated if anything. I know there is abit of a shortage, but I think alot are phantom jobs from agencies that don’t actually exist. I’ve made complaints to the job centre before about agencies advertising jobs, when in actual fact the job wasn’t real, but a typical job that might arise at the agency, if you joined them.

Have a look at this article, by Idlewild, in The Outsider section of TruckNet UK. That’ll make you wonder who is kidding who, about this “Driver Shortage” :unamused: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: .

Simon

Re article by Idlewild - excellent read and just as I thought :unamused: I wonder if the same is true for plumbers, builders and sparkys :confused: Our questionable ‘government’ and it’s handler, the eurocircus, need a good kick up the arse :imp: