Class 2 doing van for agency

Hi, Im a class 2 driver but am going to be driving tomorrow in a van (not something i plan on doing often). Just wanted to know if i should record the driving time and breaks manually?

I would log the details in a diary,Co. name Reg no. where you went that sort of thing.If DVSA ask you might get brownie points for it.

Yeah thats the sort of thing i was thinking. :grimacing:

WEIR_SJ:
Hi, Im a class 2 driver but am going to be driving tomorrow in a van (not something i plan on doing often). Just wanted to know if i should record the driving time and breaks manually?

If the van is under 3.5 ton, which I assume it is, you’re not in scope of the specific daily limits (i.e 9 hours driving, minimum breaks, etc). However, you are obliged to declare the van driving as other work if you have driven an HGV within a certain time of driving the van (I’m not sure how long it is).

So, if you commence an HGV shift soon after driving the van, do a manual entry for x number of hours other work for the times you were on shift driving the van. There is no need to enter, for example, 4 hours driving, 45 min break, then 4 more hours driving, followed by 30 min other work. Just record the whole shift as other work.

If the van is over 3.5 ton, then it should have a tachograph fitted, and you need to insert your card and adhere to all the usual rules.

But if he records the WHOLE shift as other work the analysis software will give him a WTD infringement. So i would still manually recored it in 6 hour blocks & appropriate breaks

You cant record driving as a manual entry anyway

Ah yes, good point. Remember your WTD regs.

Van driving commercially is out of scope for eu regs but is regulated by GB Domestic hours rules and some of the WTD regs.

On a manual entry analysis software does not know what type of vehicle you were driving, its bound by set parameters

I thought Tacho’s when doing manual entry for things like this, have the option of ‘?’ Meaning the work is recorded elsewhere i.e. Time sheet/diary etc .

I’m sure our relief driver does this when he cover C drivers. He’s normally in a Sprinter van. Can’t recall him whining about infringements .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk