Class 2 Car Transporter work

Been offered a job doing car transporting work , just wondering what it is like. The pay is crazy for me so it is something I’m going to do but wondering if anybody has any experiences in that sort of work?

I’ve got a few weeks before I start so any sort of heads up or tips would be a nice touch,

Scrap cars or nice cars?

news_67_thumb_1.jpg

When you talk about pay, remember the sector is rife with people who tell you what you want to hear to get you on board, the large bonuses possible under ideal conditions always being fully loaded with cars that are waiting already ticking over defrosted and pre checked for you to throw on and be gone in 20 minutes, same at the delivery point with grateful recipients eager to take your delivery and you’re on to the next full load.

Reality of the game is somewhat different, not trying to burst your bubble just be aware the pay schemes usually found in transporting cars are based on delivering the maximum amount of metal in the shortest time, you can easily be a couple of hours at an auction (walking miles fetching your own load) or compound finding cars and getting them fueled jump started and checked over, but if you’ve found decent hourly pay good for you.

It was a good game to get into pre the lunatics in charge destroying thousands of businesses and jobs over the last year as they stole everyones freedoms, what happens in the future for the car industry i’m as unsure as anyone else.
What i will say is don’t give up a good job to start on this game, you might take to it like a duck to water but you might not, the drop out rate (on full sized transporters at any rate) is horrendous, no slight on anyone it doesn’t work out for, the job’s a bit marmite.
Its always been hard work, good pay yes in most cases but you’ll earn every penny of it, good luck with the venture.

Juddian:
When you talk about pay, remember the sector is rife with people who tell you what you want to hear to get you on board, the large bonuses possible under ideal conditions always being fully loaded with cars that are waiting already ticking over defrosted and pre checked for you to throw on and be gone in 20 minutes, same at the delivery point with grateful recipients eager to take your delivery and you’re on to the next full load.

Reality of the game is somewhat different, not trying to burst your bubble just be aware the pay schemes usually found in transporting cars are based on delivering the maximum amount of metal in the shortest time, you can easily be a couple of hours at an auction (walking miles fetching your own load) or compound finding cars and getting them fueled jump started and checked over, but if you’ve found decent hourly pay good for you.

It was a good game to get into pre the lunatics in charge destroying thousands of businesses and jobs over the last year as they stole everyones freedoms, what happens in the future for the car industry i’m as unsure as anyone else.
What i will say is don’t give up a good job to start on this game, you might take to it like a duck to water but you might not, the drop out rate (on full sized transporters at any rate) is horrendous, no slight on anyone it doesn’t work out for, the job’s a bit marmite.
Its always been hard work, good pay yes in most cases but you’ll earn every penny of it, good luck with the venture.

Exactly as Juddian has said! There is good money to be made, but anywhere on cars will make you earn it. The pay difference these days is negligible in many cases as in every other sector of transport its become a race to the bottom with everyone fighting over the work there is. Personally I would say it’s not a good time to be getting into it, and that’s from speaking to drivers still doing it. Work is currently scarce and there is alot of uncertainty. A lot of companies are advertising, but are banking names and details for when/if work starts to pick up. Can be a great job and one of the few where drivers help each other. If you are going to do it, make sure that there is sufficient training and that you are comfortable with everything before they send you off on your own. Also check exactly how any bonus is paid and calculated and see if the figures add up. Not unusual for companies to advertise a job using max nights out, max hours, max bonus when in reality very few will achieve this. Where I was our damage bonus was £900 every 3 months. Easy to lose if you are not careful and that soon puts a hole in the headline figure. Not trying to be negative but best to go in with your eyes open. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Juddian’s first warning needs repeating: promises of high pay are common, the truth seldom matches up.
As Ginge asks new or old cars?
Beware of those trying to get you to work on “recovery” rules when you should be under EU rules.
Dragging unbraked cars on spectacle carriers is only the start of it.

mrginge:
Scrap cars or nice cars?

New motors mate. 7 car transporter, I believe goint straight to customers addresses

Juddian:

Not bursting any bubble mate just appreciate the information. This job is for a company similar to Arnold Clark just delivering their new motors to customers.

I thought the money was a bit OTT as in, the bloke obviously is taking into account everything to the max.

Did a lot of lease stuff to customers in the early 2000’s, it’s a different kettle if fish. Yes you have to watch the damage like every transporter job but a lot of it is “people skills”.
You’ll likely have to do a handover of sorts, show the major controls, have them look the car over etc. You’ll get cups of tea or coffee and have chats with the customers. Some just want the car and goodbye, others want the full new car experience. The trick is keeping them happy and getting on with the job!
Use Google maps as you’ll get “we have lorries here all the time”, usually meaning the binmen. Anywhere trucks do 'g usually go expect trees. If in doubt I used to phone them asking if it was OK to drive in the last bit and get a lift back to the truck.

Sent from my R19 using Tapatalk

I remember a Ski telling me he gets £7 per car collecting salvage cars

Munchkin:
Did a lot of lease stuff to customers in the early 2000’s, it’s a different kettle if fish. Yes you have to watch the damage like every transporter job but a lot of it is “people skills”.
You’ll likely have to do a handover of sorts, show the major controls, have them look the car over etc. You’ll get cups of tea or coffee and have chats with the customers. Some just want the car and goodbye, others want the full new car experience. The trick is keeping them happy and getting on with the job!
Use Google maps as you’ll get “we have lorries here all the time”, usually meaning the binmen. Anywhere trucks do 'g usually go expect trees. If in doubt I used to phone them asking if it was OK to drive in the last bit and get a lift back to the truck.

Sent from my R19 using Tapatalk

Cheers mate I appreciate that. Getting a lift in sounds the most logically thing ever, if I do go through with it I’m sure that will help me loads. Generally something I never thought of.

JRClarkey:

mrginge:
Scrap cars or nice cars?

New motors mate. 7 car transporter, I believe goint straight to customers addresses

7 decent sized cars on a rigid is some rig (its not that long ago when 7 cars, and cars were a lot smaller overall, was a full load for an artic transporter), as said trees are going to be your biggest headache and if on home deliveries if you have cars flipped up knocking on 16ft high uncovered wagon…well you can imagine the issues.
Always carry a tin of T cut :smiling_imp: , no that isn’t a joke, all transporter drivers carry one :sunglasses:

Surprising what the rigid will carry

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Juddian:

JRClarkey:

mrginge:
Scrap cars or nice cars?

7 decent sized cars on a rigid is some rig (its not that long ago when 7 cars, and cars were a lot smaller overall, was a full load for an artic transporter), as said trees are going to be your biggest headache and if on home deliveries if you have cars flipped up knocking on 16ft high uncovered wagon…well you can imagine the issues.
Always carry a tin of T cut :smiling_imp: , no that isn’t a joke, all transporter drivers carry one :sunglasses:

And felt pens of assorted colours. :laughing: